(Fixed) WP34s, unresponsive after trying to flash
10-10-2023, 05:24 AM (This post was last modified: 10-20-2023 10:20 PM by Peter Klein.)
(Fixed) WP34s, unresponsive after trying to flash
[EDIT]. I fixed ithe problem and was able to flash the calculator using a currently available cable (as of 10/2023). See this thread:
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-20668.html
- - -

I was active here when the WP 34s was in development. A kind soul on the forum flashed mine for me. It is running version 3.1 3225.

Is it worth flashing it to the current version? My use is pretty casual. I never had the original programming cable. I do have a couple of USB FTDI serial cables They deliver either 5v or 3.3v to program and/or flash the firmware of an Icom V80 and a Radioddity GD77, both ham radio handheld transceivers. I don't know the exact voltage. The cable supplies Rx data, Tx data and ground. If I could rig up something with some alligator clip leads and pogo pins, it might be worth trying, but I don't want to brick the calculator. I'm running Windows 11 on my computer.

Thanks!
--Peter
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2023, 06:39 AM
RE: WP 34s, worth flashing to current version?
There are some bug fixes and some accuracy improvements but I doubt things have moved too far forwards.

The commit log is public so judge for yourself.
10-15-2023, 09:02 AM (This post was last modified: 10-15-2023 10:42 PM by Peter Klein.)
RE: WP 34s, unresponsive after trying to flash
Well... I tried to flash my WP-34s to the current firmware tonight. I used MySamba on my Win11 machine, run as Administrator. I used the procedure in the manual. I was able to erase the calculator. But no matter what I tried, I could not flash it. I powered the calculator with a 3v power supply, voltage checked at 3.1v. The ham radio FTDI data cable I mentioned in my original post is working with MySamba--the computer sees it as COM4, the baud rate gets set to 115 kbaud. Each time I try the LEDs on the cable flash three times, and then I get the error, "Unable to connect." Three times out of many different tries, I got the error "Unable to start XMODEM."

I was using a jerry-rigged mess of alligator clips and hand-held wires, so perhaps all I need is the correct cable. Is there someone in the U.S. who would be willing to loan or sell me the cable? If the former, I'd be happy to pay postage both ways. Or I could send my now comatose 30b calculator to you.

If I bricked it, oh well. But I'd like to try to revive it. Thanks for any help.

--Peter
10-19-2023, 09:12 PM
RE: RE: WP 34s, unresponsive after trying to flash
I fixed it. The ICOM cable I tried to use evidently has some proprietary secret sauce. I got a cable from SparkFun Electronics, which worked perfectly the first time. I will create another thread and document what I did so that others may benefit.
10-19-2023, 10:24 PM
RE: (Fixed) WP34s, unresponsive after trying to flash
(10-19-2023 09:12 PM)Peter Klein Wrote:  I fixed it. The ICOM cable I tried to use evidently has some proprietary secret sauce. I got a cable from SparkFun Electronics, which worked perfectly the first time. I will create another thread and document what I did so that others may benefit.

Just curious, what cable did you order?

Would it be the same cable used for other newer 12C models?
10-20-2023, 01:43 AM
(10-19-2023 09:12 PM)Peter Klein Wrote:  I got a cable from SparkFun Electronics, which worked perfectly the first time. I will create another thread and document what I did so that others may benefit.

(10-19-2023 10:24 PM)ctrclckws Wrote:  Just curious, what cable did you order?
Would it be the same cable used for other newer 12C models?

I don’t know what cable the newer HP12c machines are using. This is the cable I ordered:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12977
USB to TTL Serial Cable
32 available CAB-12977 ROHS

-Peter
10-20-2023, 01:46 PM (This post was last modified: 10-20-2023 01:49 PM by ctrclckws.)
Thank you for the information.

I believe the newer devices have a different communication protocol, USB , vs RS232.
10-20-2023, 07:23 PM
Yes, the newer devices can be directly connected to a USB port with the appropriate wiring, with no need for level shifting or any signal changes. This means the current 12c, 10bII+, and 15c CE. The previous 12c, previous 10bII+, 15c LE, 20b, and 30b used the old serial protocol that needed a TTL to RS-232 level shifter chip in between to be compatible with a serial connection.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-21-2023, 08:03 AM
Is there a generally available cable suitable for the newer devices?
10-21-2023, 01:06 PM
(10-21-2023 08:03 AM)ctrclckws Wrote:  Is there a generally available cable suitable for the newer devices?

Not yet.... stay tuned...

--Bob Prosperi
10-21-2023, 03:54 PM
Thanks, Bob, mostly a lurker, but paying attention.

I am more od a software person and never developed fine electronic hardware skills.
Replace a board, fine, resolder a component, no.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)