Kodak Diconix 180si. DC-plug negative centre?
10-29-2023, 11:17 AM
Kodak Diconix 180si. DC-plug negative centre?
This might be slightly off topic, but here we go. About the Kodak Diconix 180si serial. I've read that the charger DC should give 9V and 1A. But I don't know if the DC plug is negative centre or if it's positive centre. Can someone please confirm what it should be?

Thanks /Matti
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-29-2023, 01:39 PM
RE: Kodak Diconix 180si. DC-plug negative centre?
There does not seem to be much information out there about it. The 'manual' seemed to a rather useless 2-page leaflet. It did mention that the device had 4 rechargeable C sized batteries and that the adapter was meant for charging. Generally, this will indicate that you cannot run the device from the charger. It depends on the particular device though.

If you can find a picture of the charger it would be helpful. I suspect it will be a typical unregulated 9V wall wart. In this context, 'unregulated' means the wall wart is a transformer, rectifier and capacitor. It does not regulate the output voltage. Unloaded such a 9V adapter might produce 12V, fully loaded at its rating (1A) it will produce close to 9V. These older charging schemes depended on this property of the charger/adapter.

Short story a modern, regulated, 9V adapter may not charge the batteries properly.
10-29-2023, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2023 08:06 PM by MattiMark.)
Jeff, thanks for the fast reply. Please find enclosed a picture of my best 'candidate' for being The charger. Does the icon at the bottom right on the sticker mean negative centre?
/Matti

Update 1: Picture attached (sorry missed the 500KB limit.)

10-29-2023, 05:26 PM
No picture was attached
10-29-2023, 08:08 PM
Updated previous post with a picture.
10-29-2023, 09:10 PM
The label in the lower right corner is unknown to me. It is not the typical way of marking connector polarity. Do you have a link to the listing?
10-29-2023, 09:37 PM
According to this manual the polarity of the plug tip is negative:

[Image: mini_w8nXQb-IMG-0281.jpg]
10-30-2023, 09:34 AM
Thanks Didier. As I understand the situation the DC plug for the Kodak Diconix 180si (and 150) is negative tip. I called it negative centre in the subject. Voltage 9V and current 1A.

Thanks for the assistance.

Matti

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)