HP 32SII Repair
11-04-2023, 11:37 PM
HP 32SII Repair
Hello All...I recently performed the rubber strip repair on my HP 32SII. All went well, the calculator came back to life with all keys functional and the display working well. I snapped the case halves back together and re-tested it. I noticed the screen was now showing all of the numerical segments and small icons lightly lit up The calculator worked but this was abnormal. After maybe half an hour the calculator stopped working and the screen continued to show all segments and icons turned on. The ON/OFF functionality is still working. I'm not sure what could have happened here. There was a bit of force required to snap it back together but it didn't seem excessive. Have I got it into some unknown mode or possibly damaged it electronically? Anyone seen this before? Many thanks for any help...Mike
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2023, 10:48 AM
RE: HP 32SII Repair
If you get it working again, adjusting the contrast should fix the display problem. (Press and hold 'ON' and use the '+' and '-' keys to adjust contrast.)

— Ian Abbott
11-05-2023, 02:24 PM
RE: HP 32SII Repair
Thank you Ian! That was very helpful. Reducing contrast in that way returned the display to a normal appearance. I wasn't even aware of that feature. I did eventually find the owner's manual for the calculator and found the section on testing operation of the calculator. Performing a reset (holding C and pressing ln key repeatedly) seems to have got it reset and functional again. It passes the self tests now. I believe what happened is during reassembly I probably pressed a lot of keys inadvertently (and simultaneously) and put it in a very confused state. No doubt I should have removed the batteries beforehand. Many thanks Ian!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)