Is there a website describing TI Nspire platforms?
11-08-2023, 12:00 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2023 10:36 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
Is there a website describing TI Nspire platforms?
I have just been intrigued by a mention of the TI Nspire having a good keyboard to try to find out more about this.

The initial results are confusing and disappointing, but the disappointment might be unjustified, as I have only quickly browsed many websites.

First, the keyboard. Someone said it had alpha keys accessible without shifting numbers on a keypad, which sounds good for programming, except it's actually an AZ keyboard not qwerty.

Second, cost. Unlike the HP Prime emulator, which costs about £25 to purchase if your device is supported (but has no Python), it seems it can be rented for about $25/year...I have yet to discover a UK price.*

However, platforms.
Although at first glance it seems it's available on Chromebook, some sites suggest this is a licence free version that only works with a dongle (a real calculator), whereas the Windows version doesn't require the dongle (to be confirmed).

The internet is required if you are using the online emulator/or not-emulator, and one website says it must be "reliable".

Is there a single website from TI that makes clear whether an emulator for the Chromebook is available? As mentioning a Chromebook version that doesn't emulate (simulate?) next to Windows versions that may seems likely to confuse.

*prices here are estimates for some software and do not include any required dongles.

Santa, anything other than Numworks with Python on Chromebook/Android?

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2023, 01:08 AM
RE: Is there a website describing TI Nspire platforms?
You might look at Firebird, an open source emulation of the Nspire Touchpad (CAS), CX (CAS) and CX II (-T/CAS) calcs on Android, iOS, Linux, macOS and Windows.
I have used it on Windows and Android.

https://github.com/nspire-emus/firebird
11-08-2023, 10:06 AM
There is an TI produced app on the apple store, for the TI N-Spire CXII Cas, but it is £29.99, in the UK, I have the Actual TI N-spire CX II T- Cas, but cant figure out how to get the images for the firebird app. I think they also do the Non Cas version slightly less expensive.
If you are looking to try python TI only support it in the CX II versions ( not sure if supported in apple product).
Find all posts by this user
11-08-2023, 10:47 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2023 11:20 AM by StephenG1CMZ.)
Steve Simpkin, that looks interesting (if I decide to download an app outside of Google Play).

11-08-2023, 11:26 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2023 11:33 AM by StephenG1CMZ.)
Thenozone, I've tried searching for both Nspire and N-Spire on the Apple store without finding anything.
Do I have the wrong shop or is it hiding it's apps from incompatible Androids?
If I did get an iOS there's always Pythonista (good for Python but not a calculator).

11-08-2023, 08:34 PM
Try ti-nspire, see attached pic of store, both the Cas and non Cas versions are the same £29.99 here.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

11-08-2023, 10:44 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2023 11:13 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
Thanks for that, ti-nspire with a hyphen it is, and "UK" if you don't want dollars. It's for the iPad only.
The headline price doesn't make it obvious whether its a recurring charge.
The app description makes no mention of Python.
Apparently it needs iPadOS 16.6.

11-09-2023, 10:22 AM
Hello!

(11-08-2023 10:44 PM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  Apparently it needs iPadOS 16.6.

Does it have to be an emulated Ti Nspire? For my collection I have bought at least half a dozen Nspires of different versions (but not the latest CX II yet) on eBay and never paid more than 20 Euros. Which is less than the annual subscription for the iPad app...
An external USB keyboard and mouse for easier programming can be connected to the Ti Nspire quite easily, there are plenty of instructions on the internet.

Regards
Max
11-09-2023, 11:57 AM
I'm used to using emulated Numworks (and previously HP Prime) with the convenience of it always being in the one box and a usable cut-and-paste.
I wouldn't rule out real device with real keys (but which usb cable and OTG cable have I got with me? Or does it need a PC, like Casio?)
But I'm looking for something with Python, like Numworks (or the latest CX II).

11-12-2023, 09:08 AM
(11-08-2023 12:00 AM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  I have just been intrigued by a mention of the TI Nspire having a good keyboard to try to find out more about this.
First, the keyboard. Someone said it had alpha keys accessible without shifting numbers on a keypad, which sounds good for programming, except it's actually an AZ keyboard not qwerty.

The Nspire has gone through several generations of keyboards. The Wikipedia article has nice pictures of them all if you want to see the layouts. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TI-Nspire_series) I've never heard any of them described as "good" before, but people have their own opinions. Here are mine:

The original "Clickpad" keyboard had a rather original layout with the alpha keys squeezed in between the other keys. This allowed the other keys to be larger, but it made it difficult to type the letters if you had large fingers. I had a student who had one of these and he often complained about hitting the wrong key.

The second iteration of keyboard was the "Touchpad" which put all the alpha keys at the bottom. The layout was okay, but there were several different size keys which all had a different feel when typing. The alpha keys were metal dome while the rest were rubber membrane. We had a number of these at school and the alpha keys would often have trouble registering. Some keys were rocker keys while others were regular keys. Every calculator brand's keys have a certain feel -- this one has about 5 different feels which made it hard to get into a rhythm. It felt like running while wearing one boot and one sneaker. Also, I'm not a fan of the trig functions being in a menu instead of primary keys.

The CX and CX-II models still have the same layout, but now all the keys are metal dome. This makes for a much more consistent feel. They also seem more reliable as I have not had trouble with keys not registering. In my opinion, the keys feel very stiff with a very short travel, but some prefer that.
11-14-2023, 12:28 PM (This post was last modified: 11-14-2023 12:29 PM by Maximilian Hohmann.)
Hello!

(11-12-2023 09:08 AM)Wes Loewer Wrote:  The second iteration of keyboard was the "Touchpad" which put all the alpha keys at the bottom. The layout was okay, but there were several different size keys which all had a different feel when typing. The alpha keys were metal dome while the rest were rubber membrane. We had a number of these at school and the alpha keys would often have trouble registering. Some keys were rocker keys while others were regular keys. Every calculator brand's keys have a certain feel -- this one has about 5 different feels which made it hard to get into a rhythm. It felt like running while wearing one boot and one sneaker. Also, I'm not a fan of the trig functions being in a menu instead of primary keys.

This model is indeed a bit strange, keyboard wise. Your comparison to running with one boot and one sneaker is spot on! But: There is an alternate keypad for this calculator, that can be swapped without using tools, which transforms it into a Ti-84. Probably to make the calculator meet some exam requirements. That Ti-84 keyboard is really good, almost „HP like“, and has trigonometric functions on unshifted keys where they belong.

Regards
Max
11-18-2023, 06:27 AM
(11-14-2023 12:28 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  There is an alternate keypad for this calculator, that can be swapped without using tools, which transforms it into a Ti-84. Probably to make the calculator meet some exam requirements. That Ti-84 keyboard is really good, almost „HP like“, and has trigonometric functions on unshifted keys where they belong.

We still have some of these TI-84+ keyboards at school where I teach. You can swap them with the non-CAS version of the TI-Nspire, but not the CAS version. The CAS version keyboards are also removable (to give access to the batteries), but the top of the keyboard is curved so that the non-CAS keyboards won't physically fit.
11-18-2023, 08:48 AM
You have to remove the keyboard to get to the battery???

11-18-2023, 11:00 AM
(11-18-2023 08:48 AM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  You have to remove the keyboard to get to the battery???

Yes, the keypad doubles as battery cover. A very clever solution!
11-19-2023, 01:17 PM
(11-18-2023 11:00 AM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  
(11-18-2023 08:48 AM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  You have to remove the keyboard to get to the battery???
Yes, the keypad doubles as battery cover. A very clever solution!

The idea was clever, but in practice it is sometimes problematic. It's not unusual for students to tell me that a key or the touchpad is not responding. Often, the fix is to remove the keyboard and reseat it with a bit of force which suggests a problem with the contacts. If that doesn't work, a paperclip reset often does the trick which suggests a software issue. Sometimes swapping keyboards with another calculator confirms that it's a physical problem with a key which requires opening up the keypad and cleaning under the metal dome or rubber membrane.

I have not had any such problems with the new Nspire CX or CX-II which have permanent keyboards.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)