False-Positive for Free42 and Plus42 Emulator?
11-20-2023, 07:30 PM
False-Positive for Free42 and Plus42 Emulator?
Checking the latest version of both Free42 and Plus42 simulators for Windows, VirusTotal found W64.AIDetectMalware. Not with previous version of both (Free42 Windows 3.0.13 - Plus42 ver_1.0.9).

Shouldn't we worry?
Is it a false positive?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-21-2023, 01:48 AM
RE: False-Positive for Free42 and Plus42 Emulator?
Definitely a False-Positive, I just rescanned both to verify so.

You should report the false-positive (however you do that with VirusTotal) to help prevent more folks from having the same concerns.

--Bob Prosperi
11-21-2023, 02:15 PM
(11-21-2023 01:48 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Definitely a False-Positive, I just rescanned both to verify so.

You should report the false-positive (however you do that with VirusTotal) to help prevent more folks from having the same concerns.

Ok thanks Bob.

I use on my Windows, his Defender (it didn't detect anything). To be sure, sometimes i check with VirusTotal online, and i got this warning that I wanted to share with you.

Thanks again.
11-22-2023, 05:50 PM (This post was last modified: 11-22-2023 07:32 PM by Jonathan Busby.)
(11-21-2023 01:48 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Definitely a False-Positive, I just rescanned both to verify so.

Unfortunately, VirusTotal is just an aggregator that reports the results of the analysis of a file by dozens of AV software applications and other malware detection and executable behavioral analysis tools.

You can make a comment about a particular file on VirusTotal, but VirusTotal itself has no power or ability to change the false positive detections reported by the individual AV vendors :

https://support.virustotal.com/hc/en-us/...-detected-.

To get rid of the false positives, you unfortunately have to go through each individual AV app which VirusTotal indicates reported a positive detection and contact the vendor.

Here is the list of all the malware detection applications that VirusTotal uses :

https://support.virustotal.com/hc/en-us/...ntributors

On a related note, at least on my Windoze 10 PC, when I try to run any recent Emu48 installers, Windows' "SmartScreen" blocks its execution and displays a popup entitled "Windows protected your PC." This is either due to Emu48 not being properly signed with a trusted Microsoft CA, its being signed but the signature having expired, or because it uses a packed executable. See here : https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/archiv...pc-at-risk .

This can only be remedied by the developer, by signing the executable with a current, recognized key from a Microsoft CA and/or not packing the executable. If both of those fail to eliminate the false positive detection, then the developer has to send the ( properly signed ) offending executable to Microsoft to report a false positive : https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/micros...-worldwide .

Also, again for any Emu48 installers, Virustotal reports twelve positive detections by various AV apps and it's flagged as malware : https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/c81d...689b41b5f3

Regards,

Jonathan

Aeternitas modo est. Longa non est, paene nil.
11-23-2023, 12:22 AM
(11-22-2023 05:50 PM)Jonathan Busby Wrote:  

Unfortunately, VirusTotal is just an aggregator that reports the results of the analysis of a file by dozens of AV software applications ....

All of which is exactly why I said "(however you do that with VirusTotal)" but I guess it wasn't funny/clear enough. I find using VirusTotal a complete waste of time, and appears to be primarily used by folks that won't run a good quality AV product to catch things in real time. I download FAR too much to manually visit that each time... but it may work for other folks.

--Bob Prosperi
11-23-2023, 01:30 AM
(11-23-2023 12:22 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(11-22-2023 05:50 PM)Jonathan Busby Wrote:  Unfortunately, VirusTotal is just an aggregator that reports the results of the analysis of a file by dozens of AV software applications ....

All of which is exactly why I said "(however you do that with VirusTotal)" but I guess it wasn't funny/clear enough. I find using VirusTotal a complete waste of time, and appears to be primarily used by folks that won't run a good quality AV product to catch things in real time. I download FAR too much to manually visit that each time... but it may work for other folks.

Many thanks for your support. I really know that VirusTotal is "just" an aggregator. For this reason I use it (sometimes) as last chance to check something new. On my Windows 11 23h2, I use the awesome Windows Defender as a real time antivirus.

I think that the antivirus aggregator is something not to be underestimated, precisely because it checks through a myriad of antiviruses (not in real time, because this methods are a plus).

I don't know why I decide to check this emulators. Just to be sure, and because my PCs need to stay safe.

I just wanted to share this false positive with you Smile

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)