Sigma character - TYPE returns 3 (function)
12-17-2023, 03:47 AM
Sigma character - TYPE returns 3 (function)
Where is this function defined? I want to use sigma for a list. Thanks in advance.

-drl
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-17-2023, 04:19 AM
RE: Sigma character - TYPE returns 3 (function)
(12-17-2023 03:47 AM)deSitter Wrote:  Where is this function defined? I want to use sigma for a list. Thanks in advance.

Press the toolbox key, then in the Math menu select List then scroll down till you see Σ List. You can use it with a list variable, such as ΣLIST(L1), or with a list directly, such as ΣLIST({1,2,3}).

Is this what you had in mind?
12-17-2023, 05:50 AM
(12-17-2023 04:19 AM)Wes Loewer Wrote:  
(12-17-2023 03:47 AM)deSitter Wrote:  Where is this function defined? I want to use sigma for a list. Thanks in advance.

Press the toolbox key, then in the Math menu select List then scroll down till you see Σ List. You can use it with a list variable, such as ΣLIST(L1), or with a list directly, such as ΣLIST({1,2,3}).

Is this what you had in mind?

Thanks but no - lowercase sigma. I am setting up my calculator for doing quantum field theory. I need lowercase sigma for a list containing the 4 Pauli sigma matrices (one of them is 2d identity). This works for gamma for the Dirac gamma matrices because gamma is not defined anywhere - but somewhere, likely an app, sigma is defined as a function (type 2 not 3 that was a typo). It must be a globally defined function so I assume it is living in some useless app.

thanks

-drl
12-17-2023, 10:41 AM
Lower case sigma is defined as a function but you can add an indice such as 0, 1, 2 or a letter to create a variable name: σ0, σ₀ ….
12-17-2023, 01:58 PM
(12-17-2023 10:41 AM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  Lower case sigma is defined as a function but you can add an indice such as 0, 1, 2 or a letter to create a variable name: σ0, σ₀ ….

Yes but I'm curious what the function is! I looked through every parameter of every standard app and no can find.

It's a shame we have no access to internals so these useless apps can be deleted.

-drl
12-17-2023, 05:38 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2023 05:40 PM by Didier Lachieze.)
(12-17-2023 01:58 PM)deSitter Wrote:  Yes but I'm curious what the function is! I looked through every parameter of every standard app and no can find.

It’s the Sigma function. Place σ in the command line and press Help:

Quote:Σ -Summation

Syntax:
Σ(expr, var, ivalue, fvalue)

Finds the sum of expr with respect to var as var goes from ivalue to fvalue in steps of 1.

Examples:
Σ(X²,X,1,5) → 55
Σ({'X^2','Y-3'},{'X','Y'},{1,3},{5,10}) → {55,28}
12-18-2023, 01:59 PM
(12-17-2023 05:38 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  
(12-17-2023 01:58 PM)deSitter Wrote:  Yes but I'm curious what the function is! I looked through every parameter of every standard app and no can find.

It’s the Sigma function. Place σ in the command line and press Help:

Quote:Σ -Summation

Syntax:
Σ(expr, var, ivalue, fvalue)

Finds the sum of expr with respect to var as var goes from ivalue to fvalue in steps of 1.

Examples:
Σ(X²,X,1,5) → 55
Σ({'X^2','Y-3'},{'X','Y'},{1,3},{5,10}) → {55,28}

NOT the summation function! I may have been born yesterday but I converged all night Smile Lower case sigma. I just want to use the Greek character. There is a collision somewhere, I assumed int statistics apps, but can't find it in there.

-drl
12-18-2023, 02:18 PM
This is really strange. If I put lower case sigma in the command line with or without brackets following and press enter I get "syntax error". It is not possible to store a number in this Greek letter.
12-18-2023, 08:06 PM
As indicated by the help it is the summation function, place σ(X²,X,1,5) in the command line, press ENTER and you’ll get 55.
12-18-2023, 10:31 PM
(12-18-2023 02:18 PM)rawi Wrote:  This is really strange. If I put lower case sigma in the command line with or without brackets following and press enter I get "syntax error". It is not possible to store a number in this Greek letter.

Think of it this way: you can't use 'sin' as a variable, e.g. sin:=3 because sin is the lowercase of SIN which is a function. Similarly σ is the lowercase of Σ which is a function.
12-19-2023, 04:16 AM
(12-18-2023 01:59 PM)deSitter Wrote:  
(12-17-2023 05:38 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  It’s the Sigma function. Place σ in the command line and press Help:

NOT the summation function! I may have been born yesterday but I converged all night Smile Lower case sigma. I just want to use the Greek character. There is a collision somewhere, I assumed int statistics apps, but can't find it in there.

-drl

But it IS the summation function. Upper or lowercase sigma is used for summation. Try it and see.
It's case independent.

Tom L
Cui bono?
12-19-2023, 09:05 AM (This post was last modified: 12-19-2023 09:06 AM by deSitter.)
(12-19-2023 04:16 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  
(12-18-2023 01:59 PM)deSitter Wrote:  NOT the summation function! I may have been born yesterday but I converged all night Smile Lower case sigma. I just want to use the Greek character. There is a collision somewhere, I assumed int statistics apps, but can't find it in there.

-drl

But it IS the summation function. Upper or lowercase sigma is used for summation. Try it and see.
It's case independent.

Yes, unfortunate. Time for a new operating system! Smile In physics the sigma matrices have an almost religious iconic significance because of their connection with spin 1/2. Alas I must use tau now! Thanks everyone for clarifying.

-drl
12-19-2023, 11:57 AM
(12-19-2023 09:05 AM)deSitter Wrote:  In physics the sigma matrices have an almost religious iconic significance because of their connection with spin 1/2. Alas I must use tau now! Thanks everyone for clarifying.

I can't help but wonder whether using σ for Σ was an accident or intentional. I have seen σ used for population standard deviation in statistics, surface density in physics, and the sum of the divisors in math, but I have I have never seen σ used for a Σ summation.
12-20-2023, 04:24 PM (This post was last modified: 12-20-2023 04:24 PM by deSitter.)
(12-19-2023 11:57 AM)Wes Loewer Wrote:  
(12-19-2023 09:05 AM)deSitter Wrote:  In physics the sigma matrices have an almost religious iconic significance because of their connection with spin 1/2. Alas I must use tau now! Thanks everyone for clarifying.

I can't help but wonder whether using σ for Σ was an accident or intentional. I have seen σ used for population standard deviation in statistics, surface density in physics, and the sum of the divisors in math, but I have I have never seen σ used for a Σ summation.

Nor I. I would have been OK with it being co-opted by statistics. I'm miffed by this case insensitivity!

-drl
12-21-2023, 04:32 AM
Guessing it is a side effect of the function mapping... I think from memory there is case insensitivity to avoid problems like Sin not mapping to SIN when using PC/Phone os versions, so later began using the more complete "tolower" type of function and it correctly mapped the SIGMA to sigma.

Although in this case probably wrong Smile

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
01-10-2024, 06:59 AM
I created a ticket for this in the bug tracker I set up to help organize development … and this has now been modified, so that case insensitivity is not applied to Greek letters when looking for identifier matches against built-in functions. Big Grin (So ‘Π’ and ‘σ’ will again be available for use as user variable names.)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)