Battle of the Casios
12-20-2023, 05:59 AM
Battle of the Casios
Hi all. I’m in the USA. Between the fx-9750GIII and the fx-9860GIII which is the more advanced model? Which are available in the US?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-20-2023, 06:38 AM
RE: Battle of the Casios
They have the same function set and only differ slightly in a couple of extra settings options and exam mode options.
https://community.casiocalc.org/topic/80...-9860giii/

The fx-9750GIII appears to be the U.S model.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-20-2023, 08:33 AM
(12-20-2023 06:38 AM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  They have the same function set and only differ slightly in a couple of extra settings options and exam mode options.
https://community.casiocalc.org/topic/80...-9860giii/

The fx-9750GIII appears to be the U.S model.

That’ll explain why the 9750 is the only model available on Amazon.
12-20-2023, 10:07 AM
(12-20-2023 08:33 AM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  That’ll explain why the 9750 is the only model available on Amazon.

There are other Amazons. :-)

— Ian Abbott
12-20-2023, 11:12 AM (This post was last modified: 12-20-2023 11:20 AM by Matt Agajanian.)
(12-20-2023 10:07 AM)ijabbott Wrote:  
(12-20-2023 08:33 AM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  That’ll explain why the 9750 is the only model available on Amazon.

There are other Amazons. :-)

Hmmm… Okay. Next Q… Does the 9750 need software updates?
12-20-2023, 11:43 AM (This post was last modified: 12-20-2023 11:44 AM by Maximilian Hohmann.)
Hello!

(12-20-2023 11:12 AM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  Hmmm… Okay. Next Q… Does the 9750 need software updates?

What do you mean by "need"? If you are happy with the calculator as it is you don't need to do anything... The latest software revision avaiable from the Casio support site, which is a little bit difficult to find, is version 3.70. To upgrade the calculator, a computer running Windows is required. During my quick search I could not find a list of improvements that the new version brings to the calculator, but I am certain that it somewhere there.

Regards
Max

NB: I guess that around the house we have two dozen, maybe more, electronic devices that can be updated. Not counting the calculators! Even camera lenses can be updated whatever that may be good for. If I would go around the house to update everything I would probably end up in an endless loop...
12-20-2023, 01:37 PM (This post was last modified: 12-20-2023 01:39 PM by Matt Agajanian.)
(12-20-2023 11:43 AM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Hello!

(12-20-2023 11:12 AM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  Hmmm… Okay. Next Q… Does the 9750 need software updates?

What do you mean by "need"? If you are happy with the calculator as it is you don't need to do anything... The latest software revision avaiable from the Casio support site, which is a little bit difficult to find, is version 3.70. To upgrade the calculator, a computer running Windows is required. During my quick search I could not find a list of improvements that the new version brings to the calculator, but I am certain that it somewhere there.

Regards
Max

NB: I guess that around the house we have two dozen, maybe more, electronic devices that can be updated. Not counting the calculators! Even camera lenses can be updated whatever that may be good for. If I would go around the house to update everything I would probably end up in an endless loop...

The idea originated when I fished out my TI NSpire CX CAS from three years of retirement. The talk of an NSpire CX CAS II that I saw from various outlets (here, Reddit calculator and TI groups, Facebook TI, calculator, and graphing calculator groups) gave me the aspect that those devices run off of OSes. Next, I toured TI’s website for OS updates for the NSpire line. Seeing that NSpire updates were up to 4.5 and seeing what that update entailed, I felt my first gen CX CAS needed a boost.

So, that’s why I thought that maybe I really should keep my calculator up to date. A couple of months ago, I thought to add an under $100 Casio graphing calculator to my collection. See an earlier post I made here about that. Next, prepping myself to learn what an fx-9750GIII can do, naturally, I downloaded a manual. Looking at the front page, I saw ‘Software 3.60’ in the title. So, I thought that if I want to get a 9750GIII, I should have it up to date.

BUT, you do make a good point that if the calculator does what I want it to do, perhaps I don’t need a current OS.
12-20-2023, 03:23 PM
Hello!

(12-20-2023 01:37 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  BUT, you do make a good point that if the calculator does what I want it to do, perhaps I don’t need a current OS.

I very much depends on the reason for the update. If the update adss something like the second derivative of the incomplete gamma function to the list of functions, then I couldn't care less, because I don't need the gamma function in the first place.
But if it fixes an annoying error that can totally freeze-up the calculator under certain conditions, like with the HP-35S, then the update is certainly worth installing. Again, before updating I would try to find the list of improvements since the last version and decide from there.

Regards
Max
12-20-2023, 03:47 PM
(12-20-2023 03:23 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Hello!

(12-20-2023 01:37 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  BUT, you do make a good point that if the calculator does what I want it to do, perhaps I don’t need a current OS.

I very much depends on the reason for the update. If the update adss something like the second derivative of the incomplete gamma function to the list of functions, then I couldn't care less, because I don't need the gamma function in the first place.
But if it fixes an annoying error that can totally freeze-up the calculator under certain conditions, like with the HP-35S, then the update is certainly worth installing. Again, before updating I would try to find the list of improvements since the last version and decide from there.

Regards
Max

Well, that’s what I did when I looked at the NSpire CX CAS update. There were a few enhancements that looked useful. So, I was looking for some way to update.
12-20-2023, 05:38 PM
The fx-9750GIII is surprisingly overlooked. It is very affordable, and extremally powerful, not only as an educational tool, but as a professional tool. It has complete "mathprint" or "natural" textbook style entry (which the GII did not, and neither do the TI-83, or 84 have), which makes it superior to even the best RPN calculators (Sorry, but not sorry RPN folks..) when it comes to entry speed and entry error reduction. Casio has a whole video playlist on YouTube showing how much better than the TI-84 it is, which is quite funny. I picked a new one up for $30, and I have to say I was very impressed with it.

TI sadly still flagships graphing calculators that were designed in the 80s, and do not have dedicated mathprint keys for fast text book style entry. Usually you need to access fractional display in a submenu and powers require parentheses because of the dated single line algeberic entry. Casio has really done a good job listening to feedback and complaints when they designed the GIII. Not a huge Casio guy, but I will readily admit that the GIII is way better than any equivalent calculator, and the price is unbeatable.
12-20-2023, 06:00 PM
(12-20-2023 11:12 AM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  
(12-20-2023 10:07 AM)ijabbott Wrote:  There are other Amazons. :-)

Hmmm… Okay. Next Q… Does the 9750 need software updates?

Update is not required, but could offer new features or bug fixes.
Here is the link with all you need to update the fx-9750GIII. I actually just did the update myself, and it was a painless couple minutes.

https://edu.casio.com/download_service/e...index.html
12-20-2023, 08:46 PM
I bought the casio graph 35+eii which is the cheapest option in Europe still almost twice the price of the 9750Giii in the USA at the start, i think it has a more comprehensive python library, ad the latest version has a silly CW menu for option one in the menu, but still had the original menu available as option I in the start menu, the 9860Gii used to have a larger clearer display which is now extinct.
12-20-2023, 09:07 PM
When I looked through the manual a few years back, I could only find a couple of points on which the 9750GIII and 9860GIII differ, and as I recall, the 9750GIII was actually better in all of these cases. They were relatively minor differences though.

Casio tends to release updates for their current models roughly once per year, and typically they just have small fixes and refinements, or a couple little new features. Occasionally they've added or improved the available Python modules. But generally it's not going to make a huge difference if you're a little out of date.

And in my opinion, the fx-9750GIII is easily the best value among graphing calculators currently sold in the US. The only reason I'm not using that model daily (I think I have 4 of them) is that my fx-9860G Slim fits in my pocket easier. Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-21-2023, 12:39 AM
I do wish that the 9750giii (and CG 50) would add a parentheses when using trigonometric functions: sin() with cursor inside of parentheses instead of just sin

Amazed at its capabilities at such a low price point!
12-21-2023, 02:45 AM
…another small con is that CASIO integration often does not deal with undefined endpoints or discontinuities with the domain being integrated while the TI’s and HP’s do better in this regard. Of course, there is a workaround as one can choose endpoints 1e-12 away from an undefined endpoint, one can also break the integral into multiple integrals when discontinuity occurs within the domain…(the 991CW calculates to 1e-22 and endpoints within 1e-17 or 1e-18 of a undefined point can be used).
12-21-2023, 01:56 PM
For those that must use RPN, there is also a program you can add to the fx-9750GIII that seems to work well. Not the best RPN program for casio, but maybe there is better one out there?

https://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap...ead=148516
12-21-2023, 08:49 PM (This post was last modified: 12-21-2023 08:57 PM by Matt Agajanian.)
(12-21-2023 02:45 AM)lrdheat Wrote:  …another small con is that CASIO integration often does not deal with undefined endpoints or discontinuities with the domain being integrated while the TI’s and HP’s do better in this regard. Of course, there is a workaround as one can choose endpoints 1e-12 away from an undefined endpoint, one can also break the integral into multiple integrals when discontinuity occurs within the domain…(the 991CW calculates to 1e-22 and endpoints within 1e-17 or 1e-18 of a undefined point can be used).

I’ve noticed this too with the infamous ∫(0,2,sin(x)/x) from the 34C/15C manuals. And yes, in this case I needed to replace the endpoint of 0 to a dang near 0 of 1E-10 (or smaller with the range on not only Casio but Sharp, too).
12-21-2023, 09:55 PM
the cg50 , graph 90+E give the same answer as the prime 1.605412977, or 16054129768 for prime (rad mode)
12-21-2023, 10:44 PM
I have not looked to see what type of undefined endpoints will work with the CG 50 and 9750giii (which also came up with the correct answer to 9 decimals for (sin (x))/x integrated from 0 to 2). Some problems throw a math error which require using a number very close to the undefined endpoint. The 991CW throws a math error for this problem, but comes up with the correct response to 9 decimals using a lower limit of 1e-17.
12-22-2023, 02:52 AM
So the fx-9750GIII solves the integral of sin(x)/x from 0 to 2 just fine, instant answer of 1.605412977.
The TI-30X Pro MathPrint (and TI-36X Pro) also solves it just fine giving the same 1.605412977.
The HP35s also gives an answer, it takes a while to spit it out, and it is 1.6054129768.
Very interesting that the 991CW and 991EX both give a math error.
TI-83 Plus gives 1.605412977 as well.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)