How to use "external" programs on the HP Prime
01-23-2024, 09:22 PM
How to use "external" programs on the HP Prime
Hello everybody,

I am completely new to using this type of calculator. After playing around with the Prime for a few days, my excitement is unfortunately gone. The reason for this is that I cannot get installed external programs or apps to work. Also, I couldn't find any explanation on how to use programs with this calculator. The manual doesn't cover this topic either (at least I can't find it). All I can find are tutorials on how to write programs (which I definitely don't want to do right now) or how to install them on the device.

More specifically: I've downloaded, properly installed and tried several apps and programs, but to no avail (okay...except for one periodic table app). It's not even clear to me whether I have to select a specific app before I can use a specific program. As far as I know, the computer always needs to run an arbitrary app as a base in order to do something. But how does it work in conjunction with these “external” programs?
The only program I could get to work (AC Basic Electronics) blocks the device! I think I need to reset the calculator to get it out of this program. All other programs just give me a yellow exclamation mark when I try to start them. The apps I have installed either report “syntax errors”, an orange exclamation mark or do not behave at all as described by the developer.

So the main question right now would be if anyone can give me a comprehensive guide on how to use programs with the HP Prime.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-24-2024, 07:21 AM
RE: How to use "external" programs on the HP Prime
(01-23-2024 09:22 PM)wotar Wrote:  [...]
The only program I could get to work (AC Basic Electronics) blocks the device! I think I need to reset the calculator to get it out of this program. All other programs just give me a yellow exclamation mark when I try to start them. The apps I have installed either report “syntax errors”, an orange exclamation mark or do not behave at all as described by the developer.
[...]

If you managed to run one program, you've likely followed the steps correctly. Please provide examples of programs that you couldn't run. I'll take a look and try to clarify your issue. It's important to note that over the years, the firmware of the HP Prime has changed, new features have been added, and sometimes very old applications may not work. Also, make sure you've updated the HP Prime firmware to the latest version (currently 14730).
I checked AC Basic Electronics, and I don't see any issues. What exactly are you doing in this program that prevents you from exiting normally?
01-24-2024, 11:43 PM
RE: How to use "external" programs on the HP Prime
The most common in programs that will cause that is if they have a hex number shown as #00FF00, for compatibility the should of uused #00FF00h, usually they are found for colors for graphics. You can also fix by going to home setting and changing to hex for integers.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)