40 years ago, a new paradigm
02-20-2024, 12:56 PM
RE: 40 years ago, a new paradigm
The ironic things is how there wasn't anything new introduced then, it was still just a minor update over anything previous and the Apple of today has become what they were against in the ad.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-20-2024, 05:18 PM
RE: 40 years ago, a new paradigm
(01-24-2024 02:25 PM)KeithB Wrote:  This is the 40th anniversary of the Apple Macintosh, and the famous "1984" Superbowl commercial.

I was working at a computer dealership at the time that carried IBM, Compaq, and Apple products. The evening of January 23rd, I had been tasked with waiting for the UPS delivery of the 1 single Macintosh unit due to arrive at our location (UPS was running behind that night). They were in short supply on introduction, a status that was maintained for quite some time after that.

Of course I had to plug it all in and test it out, ostensibly to make sure there were no problems with it, but truly I would have done that anyway out of curiosity. I found it to be a nicer implementation (and cheaper, even at $2,495) of the Lisa's U/I on a "more accessible" platform. I'm still amazed how useful the system was with a display size of only 512 x 342 pixels.

Two years later I was an Apple employee, and can honestly say that those were the wildest job years of my life ('86 - '96). I wouldn't trade them for anything, though.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)