HP 15C
HP 32S
HP 41C
HP 42S
HP 48S/G, HP 50G
HP Prime
Other
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Preferred Model for Quick Number Crunching
02-05-2024, 03:27 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2024 03:29 PM by Eddie W. Shore.)
Preferred Model for Quick Number Crunching
What is your favorite calculator(s) for quick number crunching? For this question, quick number crunching does not rely or use elaborate text labels, text prompts, or messages. Rather, store your inputs on the stack and/or memory registers, and press R/S (or call up the program/function).

HP 11C/Swiss Micros DM11L
HP 15C/Swiss Micros DM15L/equivalent
HP 32S/Swiss Micros DM32
HP 41C family/Swiss Micros DM41 family
HP 42S family/Swiss Micros DM42 family
HP 48S/G, 50G family
HP Prime
Other
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2024, 05:01 PM
RE: Preferred Model for Quick Number Crunching
I voted 32S, under the assumption that also includes the 32SII.
02-05-2024, 05:16 PM
67 is my daily-driver at work. At home its free42 on my phone.
Find all posts by this user
02-05-2024, 05:56 PM
I switch between 15C, 50g, and also WP43.

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
02-05-2024, 06:41 PM
HP-42S/DM42.

This is mostly because of how long I have been using these two machines. I bought my HP42S in 1989 and it was my daily driver (with my 41-CX riding shotgun) until 1997 (IIRC), when I added the DM42 as my new daily driver.

My new 15Ce is a really good number cruncher, but I am so familiar with the 42 series that I generally grab the DM42 or use Free42 first.

The 32SII is pretty good, but I don't like the color scheme on the keyboard so I don't use it very often. Whoever within HP that thought that using tiny dark lettering on top of a black background for functions was an idiot. Same goes for the 12c Platinum.
02-05-2024, 08:08 PM
In order of usage: 48 family, Plus42, 35s (not between proposed calculators)
02-06-2024, 03:38 AM
I voted 15C - the old one as I do not need to look at the display while crunching.
For the 15CE, I need to keep an eye on the display.

12C, 15C, 15cCE, 19Bii, 20S, 22S, 35S, 39Gii, 42S, 48G, 50G, 97
02-06-2024, 05:30 AM
(02-06-2024 03:38 AM)HKG Wrote:  I voted 15C - the old one as I do not need to look at the display while crunching.
For the 15CE, I need to keep an eye on the display.

I know what you mean about the 15C CE. It is my favourite, and when I'm punching numbers carefully and with deliberation, it's fine. But when punching at speed, I do occasionally get some double-bounced entries. What do we know about why that happens? If I try to recreate it, it doesn't happen. Then it catches me next time! I don't get this on my 35S.
02-06-2024, 08:33 AM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2024 08:35 AM by Maximilian Hohmann.)
Good morning,

I am one of the "Other" voters. Old habits die hard and I used calculators long before all the calculators in the list of choices came out. I did not even own one of these until I purchased some of them for my collection in the rather recent past. So I basically only tried them out and occasionally place one on my desk, but this is it. No real use and one of the reasons why I couldn't care less about the Swiss Micros calculators, as good as they might be.

At work I keep a Ti-85, that I bought on eBay for 1 Euro 15 years ago, in what would be the glove box in a car for some useful calculations about refueling (mainly to exclude mistakes due the mess they made in aviation with mixing all kinds of units) and air data. For everying else I use my phone, usually the native bulit-in calculator and not some emulated model from HP or Ti. Or whatever happens to lie in reach. Right now that is mostly an HP-11C, not collectible due to some LCD bleeding but still working and quite useful.

And one more thing, slightly off-topic: For me, "number crunching" always had the meaning of "the large-scale processing of numerical data". This is the definition in the Collins English Dictionary that my wife, who teaches english at school, uses for work. Therefore my choice for "Quick Number Crunching" would be the HP Frontier (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontier_(supercomputer)) :-)
Unfortunately none of them have turned up on eBay yet.

Regards
Max
02-06-2024, 09:25 AM
Hp-41 CY / HP-41 CL

I have one on any desk I work at.

Cheers,

PeterP
02-06-2024, 10:01 AM
HP 35s
Why is this not an option?
02-06-2024, 03:17 PM
For me, 'quick number crunching' is not programming. When you need to calculate a quick result, you need a good basic scientific (or financial) calculator.

For me, that would be the HP45.
Rock solid and a display that actually emits light.

Based on his explanation, I think the original poster really meant 'basic programming'. As in not using any of the advanced features introduced in the HP-41C and beyond.

For that, there is no doubt the HP67/97 are tops.

-J
02-06-2024, 05:25 PM
My vote went to Other, because most of my basic quick number crunching needs are handled by a basic 4 banger calculator.

I've had different flavors of the 12C over the years, so that's probably my second favorite.
Of the ones listed, I had a OG 12c and 15c when new. These disappeared after life experiences and the 12c was replaced. 15c was no longer available new.

Recently gathered OG Voyagers from auctions.
Also the Swissmicros DM models.

Have a WP43 Prototype and a DM42 configured as a C47, as well. I will likely NEVER use more than 10% of their capabilities.

Never learned to seriously use any of them, so they are all for play.

Have manuals downloaded to my phone, would prefer paper, easier to read and flip back and forth.
02-06-2024, 07:03 PM
HP-29E is another good option for me.
02-06-2024, 07:04 PM
WP34S on the DM42.

Nigel (UK)
02-06-2024, 08:13 PM
Hp 80/81
02-06-2024, 10:36 PM
HP67 for me.
The main reason is the LED display. Not only it’s always perfectly visible in low low light conditions, but also from various viewing angles. In many LCD displays, the contrast changes if the calculator is at some distance on the desk, so the calculator must be rather close to the working area, which can be sometimes cluttered.
Not such constraint with the HP67: I use it where it is on my desk.
And with Panamatik’s new ACT upgrade, I can easily load programs, and have continuous memory with two keystrokes.

Jean-Charles
02-07-2024, 03:18 PM
In a poorly lit classroom with no chairs and heavy textbooks under one arm my GTO would be a fully charged Woodstock in the palm of my free hand.
02-07-2024, 04:13 PM
(02-06-2024 10:36 PM)Helix Wrote:  HP67 for me.
The main reason is the LED display. Not only it’s always perfectly visible in low low light conditions, but also from various viewing angles. In many LCD displays, the contrast changes if the calculator is at some distance on the desk, so the calculator must be rather close to the working area, which can be sometimes cluttered.
Not such constraint with the HP67: I use it where it is on my desk.
And with Panamatik’s new ACT upgrade, I can easily load programs, and have continuous memory with two keystrokes.

Turn on an HP-67 and a Ti-59 and place them side by side on a desk. Then move your head from side to side and notice the 59 is unreadable long before the 67. It sounds almost a minor thing when you read about it. But if you do this little experiment, you will find the results dramatic.

-J
02-08-2024, 12:18 AM
I voted for the HP-32S (incl. SII), the HP 48G Series, and the Prime.
Certain HP-41 production runs (ca. 1984-85) also have suitable keyboard haptics for my taste:-)

-- Ray

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)