Casio FP-40 Printer Only Double Spaces <SOLVED>
02-19-2024, 06:33 AM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2024 11:31 AM by toml_12953.)
Casio FP-40 Printer Only Double Spaces <SOLVED>
When is DIP switch 1 NOT DIP switch 1? When the DIP switches are mounted 180° from the correct way! Yes, the bank of four DIP switches was mounted backward so I was changing switch 4, not the switch 1 that the instructions call for!

At first I thought that maybe it was a bad switch that was permanently ON or maybe some conductive junk got under the switch and was shorting it out so I opened the printer and noticed that where the DIP was labeled 1, the silkscreen on the circuit board had a 4 printed. I then looked at an old unit I had that had worked fine until it finally failed. Sure enough its DIP switches were installed correctly. I had never thought to check for that before. Whew! When you change the correct switches, the product works just the way it's supposed to.

Tom L
Cui bono?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2024, 09:43 AM
RE: Casio FP-40 Printer Only Double Spaces
Tom:

Personally, I know nothing of Casio products. However, an owner's manual is available at:
http://www.pisi.com.pl/piotr433/manuals/...manual.pdf

Page 4 shows DIP switch 1 (which it calls computer type)
ON: CR/LF performed when CR received.
OFF: CR only when CR received.
Also comments on variances of interface packs used with specific computer models.

As you commented on switch settings you probably have a manual/already know settings. The manual mentions only one switch pack; just the wording seems different. i.e. if it overprinting occurs, as opposed to lack of a LF on CR. (maybe a switch is dirty?) However, double-spacing seems puzzling.

I often printed by terminal emulators, believe it or not. The emulators often had their own CR= CR or CR/LF settings in addition to the printer having them. ??? maybe with how you print, relevant or not.

Page 16 comments on CR, CR/LF action depending on Casio computer model.

Don't recall what, as its been 30+ years ago.... If you print via DOS commands/similar method you might want to see if the DOS MODE command has printer settings for your system. Seems to me years ago, on certain systems, you could perform fundamental printer settings via the MODE command. Maybe I'm full of it on that one.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)