ProfiSet 32kb Manual
02-21-2024, 11:58 PM
ProfiSet 32kb Manual
Hi, would someone have the manual for the 32kb Profiset? I have found the old one for the 16kb one but I am looking for the updated 32k version.

Thank you for any tips!

Cheers

PeterP

Cheers,

PeterP
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-22-2024, 10:04 PM
RE: ProfiSet 32kb Manual
I'm not sure if there is a separate manual for the 32K PS at all.

-- Ray
02-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Thanks Raymond, I wonder if there is some explanation / description of the various A0/A1/A6 etc settings of the system and PlusRam, and any additional commands the 32kb one has over the 16kb one, etc somewhere...

Cheers,

PeterP
02-23-2024, 03:45 PM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2024 04:00 PM by Sylvain Cote.)
Hello Peter,

(02-21-2024 11:58 PM)PeterP Wrote:  ... I have found the old one for the 16kb ...
I have a MBK-ProfiSet unit but do not know if it is a 16KB or a 32KB one.
The manual that was with it, is written in German, is the manual you found in English ?

Sylvain

Front:
[Image: MBK-ProfiSet-front.jpeg]

Back:
[Image: MBK-ProfiSet-back.jpeg]

Internal:
[Image: MBK-ProfiSet-internal.jpeg]

Sylvain Côté
02-23-2024, 07:03 PM
Only in German, from TOS.

Beautiful Pictures!

Cheers,

PeterP
02-23-2024, 10:20 PM
I also don't know if there was a specific version of the manual for the MBK-ProfiSet 32k.

The developer of the ProfiSet, Winfried Maschke, was a member of the old forum (see this post). He wrote on his website a presentation of the different MBK products he developed. Unfortunately his web site seems to be down now, however the related page can still be found on archive.org but without the pictures. Here is what he wrote about the ProfiSet:

Quote:The difference between a ProfiSET I and II is only the name and some software. There is the same PCB inside. A ProfiSET with 32K RAM is a standard ProfiSET with additional 16K RAM soldered with wires on top. The pictures are taken from my "developers"-ProfiSET with 32K RAM and 16K ROM and some extra switches on top. The other pictures show the manual, an empty PCB, an equipped board (will not work) and a 16K RAM extension. The ProfiSET is still fully functional. When I tested the device 18 years after the last battery was changed I was very surprised. The battery is still working; the whole content of RAM was still there. The battery still has 3.08 V.

I don't remember how many ProfiSETs were built but it was about 150 devices. I've still got many empty PCBs left, but only one prototype, one "developer's device", one equipped board and one RAM-Extension (which is untested). The ProfiSET is one of the first build in series devices and was used to develop the W&W RAMBox.

So, Sylvain, it seems from this description that you have the 16k version as there doesn't seem to be any "additional 16K RAM soldered with wires on top".

For those interested here is a pdf including the thumbnail pictures created from a capture of the page I did several years ago: Some bits and bytes from 20 years ago.pdf
02-23-2024, 11:46 PM
(02-23-2024 12:38 PM)PeterP Wrote:  Thanks Raymond, I wonder if there is some explanation / description of the various A0/A1/A6 etc settings of the system and PlusRam, and any additional commands the 32kb one has over the 16kb one, etc somewhere...
The switch positions A0,A4,A6 set the ProfiSET OS or +RAM to the specified address.
The port numbers set the ProfiSET OS to the specified port address. AFAIK the PS OS is 8K normally.
I think I also had a version with 16K ROM, which included software for the MBK PS EPROM burner.

At least one version I had also included the "FAST mode" software turbo mechanism,
which consisted of faster versions of certain 41 OS functions, and an associated "compiler" or translator,
which took user code programs, and replaced certain 41 OS calls by FAST mode calls.
I don't remember whether the optimized UC programs ran in +RAM only, or in main memory, too.

The PS with 32K +RAM had 3 useful switch positions (IMHO) for the +RAM only: OFF, init, Port 1+2 ,
since all other positions interfered with other addresses. The 16K +RAM version was much more flexible in this respect.

OT and BTW: I had several PS units over the decades.
My first PS had init 010, which I bought new from Winfried directly,
and on which I compiled the original 4K CCD OS/X in the mid-eighties.
My second-last unit, with init 024 btw., was sold abroad a few years ago. Maybe it arrived at Sylvain;-)

But I think to remember that Winfried once told me on the phone that at some point,
they just copied the PS ROM EPROMs with the same init number (024),
so it's perfectly possible that there exists more than one unit with init 024.

One of my later units had different (and fewer) RAM chips, since after several decades,
the original RAM chips weren't available anymore.

I still have some of the original and unused PS batteries,
which surprisingly hold some voltage after more than 30 years.

-- Ray
02-23-2024, 11:53 PM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2024 12:19 AM by Sylvain Cote.)
Hello Didier,

In my research to find an english manual, I saw the old post and his web page on the archive.org.
Thank you very much for publishing your archive document, the pictures in the page are as important as the text in it.
Now I understand what the connector on the back was intended for.

I was able to wakeup my ProfiSET MLDL box and it seems to work as intended.
My next steps will be to replace the dead batteries, translate the manual and learn how to use it.

Thanks again,

Sylvain

Sylvain Côté
02-24-2024, 12:15 AM
Hello Raymond,
(02-23-2024 11:46 PM)Raymond Del Tondo Wrote:  My second-last unit, with init 024 btw., was sold abroad a few years ago. Maybe it arrived at Sylvain;-)
I bought mine from Adam Jones, who as far as I know, bought it from Peter P. (Peter Platzer ?)

Sylvain Côté
02-24-2024, 02:24 PM
Then it's likely to be the unit I previously owned,
since I sold the PS and an MBK EPROM box to Peter in 2010:-)

-- Ray

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)