Canon FP-10
03-07-2024, 02:17 PM
Canon FP-10
Hello,

I would like to share two pictures of my latest member of the calculator “family”, a Canon FP-10 that has technical functions and employs a VFD display and a Shinshu Seiki (Epson) M161 dot matrix printer for a 57mm paper roll. It works fine and just as the HP-19C to the left, the Canon is powered by four rechargeable AA cells that are mounted in the calculator and charged by an external charger Canon CH-3 (that luckily was included). I immediately removed the old AA cells that just had begun to leak, it was fairly easy since the two main parts are held together by one(!) screw and a number of snap-fits that enable a fairly easy separation without breaking anything. There was no ink ribbon in the machine, but I was glad to realize that the suitable ink ribbon ERC-09 is easily available at the local office supply store. I think the Canon FP-10 is the smallest printing technical calculator that employs 57mm paper rolls – can that be correct? The successor Canon FP-11P at the right instead employs a 38mm thermal paper (just as the HP-19C), an LCD screen and four ordinary alkaline AA batteries, and provides some programming functionality, but not at all as advanced as the older HP-19C.
I show these three calculators together since I would like to show examples of calculator design. The HP-19C and the Canon FP-10 both have a slightly inclined wedge-shaped design, while the Canon FP-11P has very straight and perpendicular lines, like a brick. Perhaps Canon should have retained the previous design?

Best regards Jonas

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2024, 02:48 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2024 02:48 PM by Maximilian Hohmann.)
RE: Canon FP-10
Hello!

(03-07-2024 02:17 PM)Jonas Sandstedt Wrote:  I think the Canon FP-10 is the smallest printing technical calculator that employs 57mm paper rolls – can that be correct?

There is a site on the internet which claims that only six printing scientific pocket calculators were ever made und that the Canon FP-10 is the only one among them that uses 58mm paper rolls: http://le-rayon-des-calculatrices.fr/WordPress3/?p=1085

Congratulations for your rare find!

Regards
Max
03-07-2024, 03:32 PM
RE: Canon FP-10
Thanks for the link, Max.
Yes, it was a very unexpected find that I am very happy for.
Notice the nice dark blue metallic keybord plate.
Best regards
Jonas

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)