Zero USB Connectivity with Mac or PC
03-19-2024, 04:25 PM (This post was last modified: 03-30-2024 07:48 PM by Insoft.)
Zero USB Connectivity with Mac or PC
No USB Activity Detected
Has anyone encountered a situation where the HP Prime was functioning perfectly one day, but the next day, when plugged into the computer, there was no connection? This issue persisted even when attempting to enter recovery mode or performing a factory reset via the diagnostic mode.

All cables have been verified to be in excellent condition and fully operational. Prior to USB connection, a thorough inspection is conducted to ensure proper orientation. The device is securely stored on a shelf and was functioning perfectly the day before. However, it suddenly ceased communication without any apparent cause. Upon connection to both PC and macOS platforms, there was no response.

While the standalone functionality remains intact, there is suspicion regarding the battery potentially causing issues. Initially indicating low battery and failing to display the charging lightning icon upon connection, subsequent charging sessions resolved the low battery status. An unusual occurrence arises when the device locks up upon plugging in, with only a rapid power-off yielding results. Notably, an hourglass icon appears at the top right during these lockups.

Further troubleshooting will involve removing the battery to observe any changes. The device has been restored to factory settings and is operating on the latest firmware version.

Speculation arises about a possible faulty solder connection at the micro USB port, although the device has been handled with care. It's plausible that the issue stems from a subpar solder joint during manufacturing. In my experience with electronic repairs, similar scenarios have been encountered, suggesting that defective rechargeable batteries charged via USB can impact the overall functionality of the port.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-20-2024, 08:40 AM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2024 08:40 AM by komame.)
RE: No USB Connectivity with Mac or PC
Was it completely empty (no programs/applications/variable values, etc.) when you plugged it into USB? Did you restore it to factory settings first?

Piotr Kowalewski
03-20-2024, 09:28 AM
Dumb but worth saying:

USB plugs and cables fail over time, due to wires failing and contacts getting worn or corroded or blocked by dirt. Happens to me and my phones a lot.
03-26-2024, 07:13 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2024 12:58 AM by Insoft.)
WARNING!
The content of this video could potentially include unsettling scenes.

HP Prime v CASIO fx-CG50 Native Apps
https://youtube.com/shorts/CLtKDZ5xPt0?feature=share

As evident, the CASIO FX-CG50 operates noticeably faster than the HP Prime, swiftly rendering graphics like the shuttle without delay. It's intriguing to ponder the potential if HP were to open up the HP Prime similarly, considering the FX-CG50's ability to run native Add-Ins.

While I'll continue to utilize the HP Prime for certain tasks, the CASIO will suffice for Add-Ins.

Interestingly, I've recently managed to use the CASIO in mass storage mode, facilitating file transfers to and from the calculator with my Mac. Previously, this functionality was unresponsive, unlike the HP Prime. Strangely enough, it started working only after the HP Prime ceased functioning.
04-19-2024, 07:40 PM
RE: Zero USB Connectivity with Mac or PC
I would be looking at any internal or third party software that is blocking the Bonjour app/service.
To my understanding, the Bonjour app acts as a mini networking protocol the allows the Prime to communicate with the computer.
04-20-2024, 01:36 PM
The Casio fx CG 50 is a great calculator but is significantly slower than a Prime, what you see in the video is just a screen paste, or something similar, it is not drawing the shuttle.
04-21-2024, 09:39 AM
(04-20-2024 01:36 PM)thenozone Wrote:  The Casio fx CG 50 is a great calculator but is significantly slower than a Prime, what you see in the video is just a screen paste, or something similar, it is not drawing the shuttle.

You can't compare these two devices in this way. Generally, the HP Prime is faster (considering the hardware), but the manufacturer doesn't provide the ability to create native applications (this is what Insoft meant by showing the rendering program). The Casio FX-GC50 has this capability, allowing it to run programs written in C/C++, which can operate tens or even hundreds of times faster than programs written in interpreted languages available on the HP Prime. The Casio FX-CG50 also has its interpreted languages, which run very slowly (slower than in the HP Prime), but if we use native add-ins written in C/C++, we can achieve much more than is possible on the HP Prime (assuming we are talking about additional applications, not factory-installed ones).

Here are examples of games written in C/C++ for the FX-CG50:

Mario Kart:
https://www.reddit.com/r/calculators/com...the_casio/
Doom:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjDLi_c8...el=Bongo50

Currently, achieving something like this on the HP Prime is impossible. In this mode (native application), rendering such an image directly from a CAD file on the FX-CG50 at tremendous speed is not a problem. In earlier models of HP calculators (HP48G, HP49G, HP50G, and others), there was the possibility of creating native applications. However, in the HP Prime, the manufacturer opted for a much faster processor (multiple times faster than its predecessors), but at the same time, they blocked the possibility of creating native applications, which I consider a significant mistake, as it could have been partially restricted (e.g., unavailable in Exam mode only) instead of completely blocked.
Perhaps now, in Moravia's hands, someone will reconsider this and make some changes...

Piotr Kowalewski

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)