Creating variables: app or home?
03-20-2024, 03:11 PM
Creating variables: app or home?
Hello

I dont know much what are the differences between creating a variable in home or app.
The problem that I am having is that sometimes I do some operations in CAS and it automatically replaces the variables with numbers. Since im using a lot of different formulas with the same variables, most of the time it makes a mess if the variable is 1 or 0.
I would like to avoid this, because when i use CAS, i normally like to see the final formula first to check and only then substitute the values.
I was thinking about creating one program "solver blank" to arrive to the final formulas. And another program with the variables to substitute.
In order to do this i need to choose to create the variables in "app"?
What does it mean to create in "home"?

Another last question: how do you erase the variable value if you choose to create it in "app"?

Thanks for the help
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-21-2024, 05:08 AM
RE: Creating variables: app or home?
The answer to this question can be very broad, and I don't think anyone will fully answer it because there are too many threads to address to explain everything. However, I can briefly say that Prime can work in Home mode (by pressing the [HOME] key) or in CAS mode (by pressing the [CAS] key). In Prime, there are built-in variables (which cannot be deleted) that store specific types of information (real numbers, lists, matrices...), and user variables that can be created for any purpose. If a variable is created in Home mode, it is a Home variable; if it is created in CAS mode, it is a CAS variable. When a variable is created in one of these modes, it can still be read and modified in the other mode, but this doesn't change the fact that it still belongs to the mode in which it was created. User variables can be deleted, but the process works slightly differently in each mode. Additionally, there are also applications, both built-in (e.g., Function, Solve, etc.) and those you can install yourself, and each of these applications can have their own set of dedicated variables. That's just the introduction... Smile

From what you've written, though, I infer that you're asking about CAS variables because by assigning a numerical value to a variable, you lost the ability to perform symbolic calculations on that variable. To delete a variable in CAS mode, use the command "purge" (written in lowercase), for example, to delete the variable "z" use:
purge(z)
This will cause the numerical value to stop being substituted in formulas and the variable will once again appear as a symbol.

In even shorter terms: read the manual.

Piotr Kowalewski
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)