How to handle payment?
03-21-2024, 06:55 PM
How to handle payment?
Hi,

I don't see an FAQ anywhere.

I want to sell my HP-41CX (+ extras) for about $200. How do I handle the transaction with the buyer? Is there some sort of escrow service? Does the buyer pay half up front? I'd like to know how it works before I post an ad.

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-22-2024, 01:19 AM
RE: How to handle payment?
There are no 'rules' per se, other than members are expected to treat each other with respect and honesty. It may sound a bit old fashioned, but frankly I've not ever heard of anyone having problems with purchases made through listings in the Classified section.

The MoHPC is not involved in any direct way, the transaction is between the seller and the buyer.

What typically happens is after agreeing on terms (price, condition, shipping method and cost, etc.) the buyer pays the seller, typically via PayPal, but I've seen Venmo, Zelle, checks and for EU members, direct bank transfers used as well, then the seller ships the item(s), then providing the (strongly recommended) tracking number info to the buyer.

It's pretty straightforward, and as I said, I've not heard of trouble. The key to avoiding issues, IMHO, is to provide clear, detailed descriptions and/or photos, as the situation may need.

Good luck

--Bob Prosperi
03-22-2024, 04:02 AM
Paypal payment is the best choice。
03-22-2024, 01:28 PM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2024 01:29 PM by MichaelHarwood.)
Thank you.
Any suggestions for what I do if more than one person wants to buy it? What normally happens?
03-22-2024, 02:23 PM
There are 2 approaches:

1. List the price you are asking and then sell it to the first person that responds, with whom you can get agreement on all points (payment type, shipping cost, etc.)

2. If you plan to effectively 'silent auction' it, asking folks to reply by PM and/or email, hoping to get the largest offer, then you have to decide by yourself how to pick the winner, since offers will be private.

FYI - often, bidders will announce something like "PM Sent" in the Forum as a message reply, to set a stake on the time they bid, presumably to establish they were earlier than similar offers, etc. however this has no direct bearing on what you choose to do.

In general, keeping the actual prices (for bidding) and negotiations private is best overall, it only leads to unnecessary comments and 'advice'.

Also, I strongly suggest to only use a shipping service that includes insurance and tracking, to remove all doubt and possible disappointment if stuff happens along the way.

Final advice: Pack your 41C very well in something like bubble wrap, as the plastic has aged and is very fragile, and handlig by shippers is not known to be gentle, many a 41 has been trashed due to rough handling if not safely packed.

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)