Plotting Strangeness?
09-20-2014, 11:37 PM
Plotting Strangeness?
I was playing around plotting equations in the advanced graphing app to get fun shapes.
These two equations, and variants, produce some weird behavior when plotting, it's like the calculator (and emulator, though faster) are plotting a bunch of extra points then eliminating them to get the correct line in parts of the plot.
X=Y^3 -5*Y^2 + 15
X=Y^4 -5*Y^2 + 15 (looks like a sigma)
Really slows down the plot. Any ideas what is going on? I have not noticed this yet when plotting functions and other non functions like X^2+y^2 are fine.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-21-2014, 01:49 PM
RE: Plotting Strangeness?
That's just how the advanced grapher works -- by design. It uses adaptive techniques to refine the graph until further refinements are no longer visible within the current window settings.

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
09-22-2014, 05:25 AM
I figured it might be, looks strange the first time you run across it though especially with simple equations like I'm playing with. Thanks.
09-23-2014, 08:37 PM
(09-22-2014 05:25 AM)oldhpfan Wrote:  I figured it might be, looks strange the first time you run across it though especially with simple equations like I'm playing with. Thanks.

You might change the method of plotting in the plot setup page, the other 2 methods can yield slightly different plots.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)