HP-41 Cataiog Enhancement Conflict OS/X vs HP-IL DEV+
04-28-2024, 02:19 AM
HP-41 Cataiog Enhancement Conflict OS/X vs HP-IL DEV+
I am having a conflict in the enhanced CAT command in the AMC OS/X ROM and the HP-IL DEV+ ROM.

In my NoV-64D I have the HP-IL DEV+ ROM on Pages A and B and the OS/X ROM on Page C.

In this setup when I try to use the CAT function on the 41 I get the CAT enhancements from the HP-IL DEV+ ROM (pressing power brings up a 3 underscore prompt) rather than the CAT" enhancements from the OS/X ROM.
CAT"
I cleared out HP-41 page A and I got the CAT" back.

Is there anyway to have these two ROMs co-exist and choose which CAT enhancements I get? Do I have to have the OS/X ROM in a lower HP-41 page than the HP-IL DEV+ ROM to get the CAT" prompt?

Also, where can I find the manual for the HP-IL DEV+ ROM?

Thanks every one and double thanks top Angel for all of his amazing ROMs.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2024, 03:11 AM
RE: HP-41 Cataiog Enhancement Conflict OS/X vs HP-IL DEV+
(04-28-2024 02:19 AM)BitWiz Wrote:  Also, where can I find the manual for the HP-IL DEV+ ROM?

I'm not sure if this is the one you mean, but if this is the Extended IL ROM by Skwid, the manual is located on Eric's site:

https://literature.hpcalc.org/items/1227

--Bob Prosperi
04-28-2024, 05:07 AM
(04-28-2024 03:11 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(04-28-2024 02:19 AM)BitWiz Wrote:  Also, where can I find the manual for the HP-IL DEV+ ROM?

I'm not sure if this is the one you mean, but if this is the Extended IL ROM by Skwid, the manual is located on Eric's site:

https://literature.hpcalc.org/items/1227

Rob,

Thank you. I believe Angel Martin also did an 8K HP IL Development ROM 2.

Mike
04-28-2024, 06:53 AM
Indeed I did a modified version of the IL-DEVL module back then with a few added HP-IL functions - the original module has a ton of empty space in it, specially in the upper page - The added functions are mostly from the Extended I/O ROM, but not all. I also patched the RREG function following Skwid's (a.k.a. Ken Emery) instructions, published in an old PPC article I'm afraid I lost the reference for... (old brain, bad eyes).

As per the I/O_SRVC polling point conflict - I didn't change that area at all (the IL-DEVL is a very tricky system module, so better not to mess with it). I never encountered that issue, but that's probably because I always use the OS/X in the lowest possibly page. Also I barely use the IL-DEV, so that combination os rare for me. The prompt lengthener is implemented in the OS/X, not in the IL-DVL - but that uses the CALC_ON event, not the I/O_SRVC of course.

I'd suggest reburning the NoVo putting the OSX in a lower port number and see how that fares, sorry I can't be of further assistance.

Cheers,
ÁM

PS. I've added the source code of my mods to this post in case that helps. I must say it's been quite a long time I looked into this code, so it looks quite incomprehensible right now ;-)

Attached File(s)
.pdf  IL_DevIL2.pdf (Size: 598.51 KB / Downloads: 19)
.pdf  IL_DevIL1.pdf (Size: 657.12 KB / Downloads: 13)

"To live or die by your own sword one must first learn to wield it aptly."
04-28-2024, 03:36 PM
(04-28-2024 06:53 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  I'd suggest reburning the NoVo putting the OSX in a lower port number and see how that fares, sorry I can't be of further assistance.

Cheers,
ÁM

PS. I've added the source code of my mods to this post in case that helps. I must say it's been quite a long time I looked into this code, so it looks quite incomprehensible right now ;-)

Angel,

Thank you for your response. I am using a NoV-64D from Diego Diaz with pages 8 - B in RAM (not bankable) and flash in pages C - F (bankable). Unfortunately, at this time, the NoV-64D does not have the capability of putting the Flash in the lower pages and the RAM higher pages. Right now Diego is working on some issues with the configuration program. I will mention this to him as a future enhancement.

This forces the OS/X ROM to be on page C and the IL-DEV module lower than that. I am not an HP-41 M-Code expert. I don't know if it's possible to remove the CAT extended functionality without affecting other functionality of the ROM.

If I may impose on you, do you know of a document that will show me how to compile the ROM sources into a .ROM image? The last time I played around with M-Code I was hand assembling and hand entering into my Eramco RAM box.

Thanks again,

Mike
04-28-2024, 05:49 PM
I see the issue, but it might be even a bigger issue that what you're describing... where is the Library#4?
Is there room in your Nov-64D for it? As you know it must be configured to use page#4...

"To live or die by your own sword one must first learn to wield it aptly."
04-28-2024, 10:56 PM
(04-28-2024 05:49 PM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  I see the issue, but it might be even a bigger issue that what you're describing... where is the Library#4?
Is there room in your Nov-64D for it? As you know it must be configured to use page#4...
Angel,

Here is my memory map (using the PG? command in the OS/X ROM)

Code:
Code:
ROM CATALOG
-EXT FCN 2D 25.63 3.
-LIB#4-R59 35.11 4.
-TIME  2C   26.36 5.
-PRINTER 2E 29.27 6.
-MASS ST 1H 28.42 7.
EXT IL ROM  27.28 8.
-X MASS 1A  23.63 9.
-HP-IL DEV+ 22.64 10.
-DIGITS     24.60 11.
-OSX BANK2  5.01 12.
-16C BNK2   16.01 13.
-NOV CHAP   31.64 14.
-ZENROM 3B  6.13 15.

The first column is the ROM header from CAT 2, the second column is the XROM Number and the number of functions and the third column is the HP-41 Page number.

Pages 4 & C - F are in NoV-64D Flash (programmed with the ClonixConfig program)
Pages 8 - B are in NoV-64D RAM (Loaded with the READPG function of the OS/X ROM)

Note: I changed the XROM number of the ZENROM so it didn't conflict with the OS/X ROM
04-29-2024, 11:55 AM
BitWiz, quick question - is the Zenrom a bank-switched rom? If not, maybe you could switch it with the IL Dev+ so that it is in a higher page than the OSX+?

Cheers,

PeterP
04-29-2024, 12:46 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2024 01:00 PM by Sylvain Cote.)
(04-29-2024 11:55 AM)PeterP Wrote:  BitWiz, quick question - is the Zenrom a bank-switched rom? If not, maybe you could switch it with the IL Dev+ so that it is in a higher page than the OSX+?
ZENROM is not bank switched and is only 4K.

The NoV module has 64K 10-bit FRAM that can be used as HEPAX RAM or as QROM.
That FRAM space is divided into 4 blocks of 16K.
One of the blocks is always mapped to pages 8 to 11 and a second block can also me mapped to pages 12 to 15.
The 4100 control word control which block is active and to where it is mapped.

Mike wants to use the FRAM part as a personality space and use the Flash part for the common ROMs.
I do not know if he plan to use the Flash part as a unified block of 48K or as two blocks of 24K, I will assume the unified option.

In his listing ...
NoV 48K Flash (pages 4, 12 to 15) has: Library4, OSX, 16C, NoV CHAP and ZENROM
NoV 16K FRAM block #1 (pages 8 to 11) is for HP-IL personality: Extended IL, HP-IL Dev+, etc.
NoV 16K FRAM block #2 (pages 8 to 11) is currently undefined
NoV 16K FRAM block #3 (pages 8 to 11) is currently undefined
NoV 16K FRAM block #4 (pages 8 to 11) is currently undefined
Pages 6 & 7 is reserved for the HP-IL module.

Mike goal here is to use the NoV module as an Advanced MLDL box and not as an Advanced HEPAX clone.

edit: and he is using the NoV Chap ROM and/or the ZenROM to change the 4100 control word content.

Sylvain Côté
04-29-2024, 04:12 PM
(04-29-2024 12:46 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(04-29-2024 11:55 AM)PeterP Wrote:  BitWiz, quick question - is the Zenrom a bank-switched rom? If not, maybe you could switch it with the IL Dev+ so that it is in a higher page than the OSX+?
ZENROM is not bank switched and is only 4K.

The NoV module has 64K 10-bit FRAM that can be used as HEPAX RAM or as QROM.
That FRAM space is divided into 4 blocks of 16K.
One of the blocks is always mapped to pages 8 to 11 and a second block can also me mapped to pages 12 to 15.
The 4100 control word control which block is active and to where it is mapped.

Mike wants to use the FRAM part as a personality space and use the Flash part for the common ROMs.
I do not know if he plan to use the Flash part as a unified block of 48K or as two blocks of 24K, I will assume the unified option.

In his listing ...
NoV 48K Flash (pages 4, 12 to 15) has: Library4, OSX, 16C, NoV CHAP and ZENROM
NoV 16K FRAM block #1 (pages 8 to 11) is for HP-IL personality: Extended IL, HP-IL Dev+, etc.
NoV 16K FRAM block #2 (pages 8 to 11) is currently undefined
NoV 16K FRAM block #3 (pages 8 to 11) is currently undefined
NoV 16K FRAM block #4 (pages 8 to 11) is currently undefined
Pages 6 & 7 is reserved for the HP-IL module.

Mike goal here is to use the NoV module as an Advanced MLDL box and not as an Advanced HEPAX clone.

edit: and he is using the NoV Chap ROM and/or the ZenROM to change the 4100 control word content.

Sylvain,

Thank you.

You got everything correct, including the joining of the two 24K Flash blocks. With my setup I have one 4K block of flash unused.

I can also use HEXED in the OS/X ROM to modify the configuration register at 0x4100.

Once I have all 4 of the personalities flully fleshed out I will write some short FOCAL programs with names that make senses to me to write th appropriate value to the NoV-64D control register using the NOV CHAP functions. Names like "PPC", "IL-DEV", etc.

Diego says he can't find the source for version 6.1 of the ClonixConfig program. I offered to help him rewrite it in Visual C++ .NET. I would use is configuration routines from 4.2 and write the GUI front end. I'm hoping at the same time that we might be able to add some minor new functionality but that is a secondary goal.

The NoV-64D PIC firmware is written in PIC Assembler and the 8 bit PIC architecture and assembler are difficult to write software for so I presume changes will be difficult and likely to cause bugs (like we have already seen).

Thank you again for all of your help.

Mike
05-01-2024, 01:59 AM
Thank you all for this timely thread. I just received a Nov-64d in the mail today. This will give me a big head start on the learning curve.

- Dan

My Collection: 55, 67T, 25PLP, 34C, 15C, 16C, 41CV, 41CX, 41-CL, DM41X, DM42, 42S, 48G, 71B, 75C, 95LX, HP-150, Portable+, HP-86, Integral PC.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-01-2024, 03:43 AM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2024 03:44 AM by BitWiz.)
Please feel free to post any questions or email me directly if you need any help.

Note: there are some issues with the clonix config utility but I can help you work around them

What is your main use for the NoV-64D?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)