What's the Logic Behind Expensive Prices for HP-67s that DON'T WORK!!
05-29-2024, 11:16 PM (This post was last modified: 05-30-2024 12:15 PM by Namir.)
What's the Logic Behind Expensive Prices for HP-67s that DON'T WORK!!
Ok, I sell calculators on "The Other Web Site" and yes I do charge a good amount for HP-67/65 calculators that are fully functional. This makes sense to me! But, what I don't get is seeing auctions for HP-67s that charge more money than I do AND FOR CALCULATORS THAT DON'T WORK!! One machine has both battery contacts broken off! Another has the auction text saying the 67 does not power up but that should not be a proble to fix! Really???

This is insane!!I think most of these sellers are not experts in selling vintage calculators and that someone told them they could sell these dysfunctional machines for a king's ramsom!!

Your take?

Namir
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-30-2024, 02:36 AM
RE: What's the Logic Behind Expensive Prices for HP-67s that DON'T WORK!!
More than likely, such high-priced listings for machines that are damaged or 'For Parts / As-Is' also include the option to make an offer. Having questioned a lot of such sellers about their arrogance to ask so much, the answer is usually some form of "well, the right expert can easily fix this and then it really is worth $600-700 (for example) so I'm selling it for most of that amount since it's worth it after the repair has been made. If you think that's too much, make me an offer..."

So basically they are signalling that they know that once it's repaired it's worth a LOT, and are unwilling to sell it cheap and let the repair person buy it cheap and then make nice profits selling it. Depending on how long it has been listed that way dictates if they will accept a much lower offer or not.

It's worth throwing in an offer IMHO, I have often tossed-in low-ball offers and surprisingly had my offer for less than half the listed price accepted. But I always make sure the item has been listed for a while, as they'll immediately decline such offers in only recently listed.

--Bob Prosperi
05-30-2024, 12:09 PM (This post was last modified: 05-30-2024 12:13 PM by Namir.)
(05-30-2024 02:36 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  More than likely, such high-priced listings for machines that are damaged or 'For Parts / As-Is' also include the option to make an offer. Having questioned a lot of such sellers about their arrogance to ask so much, the answer is usually some form of "well, the right expert can easily fix this and then it really is worth $600-700 (for example) so I'm selling it for most of that amount since it's worth it after the repair has been made. If you think that's too much, make me an offer..."

So basically they are signalling that they know that once it's repaired it's worth a LOT, and are unwilling to sell it cheap and let the repair person buy it cheap and then make nice profits selling it. Depending on how long it has been listed that way dictates if they will accept a much lower offer or not.

It's worth throwing in an offer IMHO, I have often tossed-in low-ball offers and surprisingly had my offer for less than half the listed price accepted. But I always make sure the item has been listed for a while, as they'll immediately decline such offers in only recently listed.

Your view and insight on his matter makes good sense!

Thanks!

Namir
05-30-2024, 12:40 PM
(05-29-2024 11:16 PM)Namir Wrote:  This is insane!!I think most of these sellers are not experts in selling vintage calculators and that someone told them they could sell these dysfunctional machines for a king's ramsom!!

They probably look at each other to set prices ... "someone" is themselves.

05-30-2024, 10:46 PM
Interesting video!Thanks!

Namir

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)