roll up stack
06-03-2024, 05:04 AM
roll up stack
On the DM41x, is there a way to roll the stack up? RDN, obviously, for down. The original documentation [1] shows the icon of the button but no equivalent alpha string.

I could just do multiple RDN to get the same effect but the 15C has up and down, so I've gotten in the habbit.

1. https://literature.hpcalc.org/community/...qrg-en.pdf
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2024, 11:35 AM
RE: roll up stack
Yes, use the Roll-Up function, spelled with R and an Up-Arrow, or [Alpha] [R] [Enter] [Alpha].

--Bob Prosperi
06-03-2024, 12:04 PM
(06-03-2024 11:35 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Yes, use the Roll-Up function, spelled with R and an Up-Arrow, or [Alpha] [R] [Enter] [Alpha].
Close ;-)
[XEQ ] [ALPHA] [R] [SHIFT] [ENTER] [ALPHA]

For frequent use, assign it to a key. Shift-Rv for instance.

Cheers, Werner

41CV†,42S,48GX,49G,DM42,DM41X,17BII,15CE,DM15L,12C,16CE
06-03-2024, 02:29 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2024 02:30 PM by Matt Agajanian.)
(06-03-2024 05:04 AM)oreooreo Wrote:  On the DM41x, is there a way to roll the stack up? RDN, obviously, for down. The original documentation [1] shows the icon of the button but no equivalent alpha string.

I could just do multiple RDN to get the same effect but the 15C has up and down, so I've gotten in the habbit.

1. https://literature.hpcalc.org/community/...qrg-en.pdf

For Woodstocks, Classics, and Spike/Spice without Roll Up,
R↓ R↓ R↓ = R↑
R↓ R↓ = R↑ R↑
R↓ = R↑ R↑ R↑
You’re welcome.
06-03-2024, 04:24 PM
[/quote]
[/quote]

Thanks. Is there a place to look this up? I did search quite a bit before posting.

Also, while fooling around, I assigned my arrow key (below alpha) to something. What is the default?
06-03-2024, 04:58 PM
(06-03-2024 04:24 PM)oreooreo Wrote:  Also, while fooling around, I assigned my arrow key (below alpha) to something. What is the default?

To remove an assignment from a key, do
SHIFT ASN ALPHA ALPHA [key]

Cheers, Werner

41CV†,42S,48GX,49G,DM42,DM41X,17BII,15CE,DM15L,12C,16CE
06-03-2024, 06:10 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2024 03:03 AM by Steve Simpkin.)
[/quote]

Thanks. Is there a place to look this up? I did search quite a bit before posting.

Also, while fooling around, I assigned my arrow key (below alpha) to something. What is the default?
[/quote]

Yes and no. Roll Up is one function that I find poorly documented in the otherwise excellent HP-41C manuals. For any function that is not on the keyboard you need to know the alpha name of that function to execute (XEQ) it or assign it to a key. The alpha name of many HP-41C functions are spelled exactly that same as the function itself, for example SIN, LOG, LN, STO etc. You can hold down any key for a few seconds to see its alpha name before it NULLs out. Other names are less obvious.

The alpha name for the R↓ key (Roll Down) is RDN. From that you might conclude that the alpha name for the Roll Up function would be RUP. You would be wrong. The alpha name for the Roll Up function is R↑. You have look in CATALOG 0 or in the function index in the back of the manual to find that alpha spelling. To compound matters, the ↑ symbol is not printed anywhere on the alpha keys on the calculator itself. You have to look at the back of the calculator to see that the ↑ character is entered using Shift ENTER. Thus you have to enter [XEQ ] [ALPHA] [R] [SHIFT] [ENTER] [ALPHA] to execute R↑ or enter the R↑ function in a program.

Edit: Of course you could do a Google search for "roll up on the HP-41C" but that option did not exist when the HP-41C models were in production (1979-1990).

The above information is also in the HP-41CX Quick Reference Guide.

Edit: Typos.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-04-2024, 01:55 AM
(06-03-2024 04:24 PM)oreooreo Wrote:  Thanks. Is there a place to look this up? I did search quite a bit before posting.

It's no mystery, it's right in the manual (Vol 2 of the 41CX manual, p. 181) in Section 10, "The Automatic Memory Stack" which is the first place I looked when I saw your question about where to look this up.

And thanks @Werner for keeping me honest. Sometimes those oh sooo easy tasks are not so easy. Smile

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)