Help pricing valuation of some accessories for HP 41 series
06-06-2024, 12:55 AM
Help pricing valuation of some accessories for HP 41 series
Due to size limits of the photographs, please look at my Reddit post https://www.reddit.com/r/hpcalc/s/8nJSZNgzJR

Basically going to sell something for a friend but I don’t know the value.
There is a briefcase with a bunch of stuff here 82162A thermal printer and 82161A digital cassette drive 6 ROMs overlays and documents.

Thanks for your help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2024, 09:43 AM
RE: Help pricing valuation of some accessories for HP 41 series
Hello!

(06-06-2024 12:55 AM)joshcheatwood Wrote:  Basically going to sell something for a friend but I don’t know the value.

I have been collecting (HP-) calculator stuff since decades and still watch the offers and prices because unfortunately no collection is ever complete. But don't take my words for the truth, I am missing a lot of good offers and especially the super expensive ones.

So I would say that if you want a quick sale with the minimum hassle, offer the whole lot here in the classifieds or on eBay for something like 300 $/Euro/GBP. The way the accessories are mounted inside the briefcase is quite smart and someone might find it useful the way it is. Some might even consider it a shame to rip it apart. Unless the foam rubber lining has turned sticky or brittle over the years as I have seen quite often. In that case it is probably best to take the lot apart.

If you aim for the most money, list the items individually and have patience. Many collectors probably already own most of these accessories (I for example would only care for the wand/barcode reader) and may be tempted to pay premium if it helps them to fill a gap in their collection.
My estimates would be: 50-100 for the printer, 100 for the tape drive (double or triple that if you can provide blank tapes with it - the drive is almost worthless without them), 200 for the wand, 50 each (maximum!) for the modules and their relative overlays and instruction sheets, 30 for the bag with cables. But I know little about these modules, there might be a hidden gem among them.

Regards
Max

NB: Many US sellers, here and on platforms like eBay as well, limit their offers to the "lower 48 states" or similar. Although the United States are certiainly the largest single market for these items, selling internationally will increase the number of potential buyers tenfold. It is really not difficult to sell internationally. One little form to fill in, all the associated extra cost will be charged to the buyer.
06-09-2024, 06:25 PM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2024 06:26 PM by Allen.)
I agree with Max's wise words. In the end, the value is what the second highest bidder is willing to pay.

If (as you said) you know nothing about these items, you'd be better off having someone sell them that is an expert. Especially since there is no calculator included (and the most interesting items that would have been in this lot appear to be still inside the missing calculator- namely the PPC ROM).

Good luck!

17bii | 32s | 32sii | 41c | 41cv | 41cx | 42s | 48g | 48g+ | 48gx | 50g | 30b

06-09-2024, 08:25 PM
Not much to add other than you have two modules which do not have anything written on them. So one or both _could_ be more valuable, though none looks like a HEPAX afaict.

Might be worth to take them out and see if they have anything written on them and/or put them in a working 41 and do a CAT 2.

Cheers,

PeterP
06-10-2024, 01:44 AM
(06-09-2024 08:25 PM)PeterP Wrote:  Not much to add other than you have two modules which do not have anything written on them. So one or both _could_ be more valuable, though none looks like a HEPAX afaict.

Those two look like port covers to me (the 'handle' looks different, since it isn't separate) but I would love to be wrong about that...

--Bob Prosperi
06-11-2024, 12:08 AM
(06-10-2024 01:44 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(06-09-2024 08:25 PM)PeterP Wrote:  Not much to add other than you have two modules which do not have anything written on them. So one or both _could_ be more valuable, though none looks like a HEPAX afaict.

Those two look like port covers to me (the 'handle' looks different, since it isn't separate) but I would love to be wrong about that...

Those are port covers. He says "6 ROMs" in the description, would be 8 if they were modules

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)