49G Update
06-10-2024, 08:31 AM
49G Update
I am trying to upgrade my 49G from version 1.18 to 1.19-6. The instructions in the Beta ROM1.19-6 file from Eric's website here (thanks Eric), say to use the PC connectivity Kit 3.0, known as HPComm 3.0

However, I can't get this to run on either Windows 10 or 11 PCs.

I can though transfer files between 49G and PC using the 2.3 2439 Connectivity kit, and am hoping this kit can be used to do the reflash.

The following are part of the instructions given in Beta 1196:

Quote: On the PC:

1. Unzip the ROM update file to a folder on your hard drive, noting the location. Make sure it has a .flash extension; some zip decompressors do not support long file names, requiring you to rename the file.
2. Connect the HP 49G to the PC, and start the PC Connectivity Kit.
3. In the PC Connectivity Kit, navigate to the PC directory that holds the operating system file.
4. Double-click the .flash operating system file to display the Download program dialog box.

I can't see how to carry out step 3. None of the non-grayed-out prompts in the connectivity kit seem to invoke access to the Beta 1196 folder on my Desktop that contains the flash operating system file.

Can anyone give me advice on how to proceed?
Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2024, 08:36 PM
RE: 49G Update
(06-10-2024 08:31 AM)Mike S Wrote:  I am trying to upgrade my 49G from version 1.18 to 1.19-6. The instructions in the Beta ROM1.19-6 file from Eric's website here (thanks Eric), say to use the PC connectivity Kit 3.0, known as HPComm 3.0

There's a reason for using the PC connectivity Kit 3.0. Only this software package contains a DLL for updating the HP49G.

I installed the software without any problems on a Win10 x64 PC. Then start the software, the HP49 is not connected, and don't care about conectivity. Navigate inside the software to the directory with the .flash file and make, like described, a double click on the .flash file. This starts a separate update software in an own window.

The update software only supports COM1 and COM2, so make sure that your HP49G is connected to one of these two COM ports.

Follow the instructions how to update the HP49G.

I tested the process yesterday successfully with hpcomm-30r4.zip, com0com as Null-Modem Driver and Emu48 running a HP49G.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-12-2024, 08:53 PM
The unofficial ROM 2.10 also works pretty well on the 49G. Even better with the equation library and periodic table!

— Ian Abbott
06-13-2024, 02:16 AM
(06-12-2024 08:36 PM)Christoph Giesselink Wrote:  I tested the process yesterday successfully with hpcomm-30r4.zip, com0com as Null-Modem Driver and Emu48 running a HP49G.

Now that's unique and cool Christoph, updating the ROM of a virtual calculator, using hpcomm via null modem. A real testament to the fidelity of Emu48 for sure, but also just cool. Smile

--Bob Prosperi
06-14-2024, 02:19 AM
Thank you Christoph and Ian for your responses. I have good news and bad news to report!

One reason I couldn't originally get HPComm3.0 to work was the higher than permitted COM port number I was using. After renumbering a USB port and some trial and error, I finally got a connection between 49G and PC (nice to see the 5 lines of gray 'actions taken' by the connectivity kit change, one-by-one, to green with a tick) to signal successful connection.

From the 49G 'No System' menu, 'terminal mode' was selected and after clicking the 'Talk to calc' button on the connectivity kit, the download program sent from the PC seemed to be running.
Then

Quote:4. On the 49G:

The download program sent from the PC is now running.

1.If you're running a ROM 1.19-5 or newer jump to 5
2.Press [4] to select Erase Bank. The screen will now display "0 User Bank". If not, use the up and down arrow key until Bank 0 appears.
3.Press [ENTER] to format the 64KB Bank.
4.The HP49 returns to the Download menu
5.Press [1] to select Download System. The 49G communicates with the PC Connectivity Kit and commences the upgrade.
6.When the process finishes, the 49G will display "The system may not be ....

I completed steps 1, 2 and 3 then needed to press a key (I think any key would have done) to see the Download menu, step 4. Pressing [1] in step 5 began the upgrade. So far, so good.

Unfortunately, after perhaps 2 mins, the process stopped with an error which I think said
"Error
Transfer aborted
check your cable and your PC"
Both the cable and PC, I believe, are working properly.

I tried steps 1-4 here
Quote:If it fails:

If it fails, your calculator will no longer operate properly until you re-flash the ROM. To do this, perform the following steps and then go back to 3. On the PC above:

1.Insert a paper clip into the reset hole in the back of the 49G
2.While the screen is blank, use your thumb to hold down [+] and [ENTER].
3.While holding down [+] and [ENTER], press and release [ON] to show the No System menu, and then release [+] and [ENTER].
4.Press [4] to select terminal mode. A blank screen appears. To abort at this time, hold down [ON], press [F3], and then release both keys.
without success.

This morning, I replaced the batteries (the originals were not showing the battery warning at any time and measure 1.28V still) but of course with the operating system erased, I could not connect with the connectivity kit.

Now, when the 49G is turned on, the screen is very dark and displays the 'No System' menu.
Pressing [4] selects terminal mode as previously. The connectivity kit, despite not being able to connect properly with the 49G, still (self) navigates to the .flash operating system file. Double clicking on this still produces the Download program dialogue box with its 'Talk to calc' button. Clicking this allows the same five steps mentioned above (4. On the 49g:) to be performed.
Then, after about 90secs the 'Transfer aborted ...' error occurs.
It seems as if the 49G is responding the same way to the update process both connected and unconnected to the kit!

Congratulations if you've read this far. The wordiness is to try and clearly explain what has happened.

Finally, the most important question.
Is my 49G now just a fairly ugly, overpriced paperweight or can it be salvaged?

Cheers,
Mike

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)