Question about HP-41CV/CX battery terminals
06-12-2024, 08:57 PM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2024 02:13 AM by Namir.)
Question about HP-41CV/CX battery terminals
Out of curiosity, I set my new multimeter to read resistance and poked the leads into the battery contacts of an HP-41CV. It read ZERO!! I repeated this test with different CVs and two CXs and got the same thing! Shouldn't my mutimeter be reading something regarding the resistance of the machines??? Am I doing something wrong? I did test the leads on a USB port of an external hard drive and got 10 M-ohms reading. So I know my multimeter works.

Namir

PS: In the next message I point out that the multimeter aso reads ZERO (instead of inifnity) when there is no connection.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-13-2024, 01:44 AM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2024 02:12 AM by Namir.)
RE: Question about HP-41CV/CX battery terminals
When I repeated the above tests wih an hP-67 and HP-45 I got the same readings of ZERO when their physical switches were OFF. When I turned the switches to ON, my multimeter registered a value!!! Bingo!!

My comclusion is that the HP-41C/CV/CX have "digital" switches that need batteries to be activated!!! In OFF mode the battery terminals look like they have a short!!!

Also, my multimeter reads zeros ohms when the leads are apart. So it treats zero and infinity as the same! The makers were too cheap to put an infinity symbol!

Namir
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)