Update for Emu48
06-15-2024, 10:34 AM
Update for Emu48
Has anyone investigated version 2.7 (2024-06-14) of the Emu48? The changelog says, "This new version improve the serial communication." I'm interested in how it improves the serial communication.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-15-2024, 03:58 PM
RE: Update for Emu48
(06-15-2024 10:34 AM)MNH Wrote:  Has anyone investigated version 2.7 (2024-06-14) of the Emu48? The changelog says, "This new version improve the serial communication." I'm interested in how it improves the serial communication.

The host systems for the emulators get faster and faster and so from design, the execution speed of the emulated software raise.

Due my studies in 2023 with serial communication on Emu48 I recognized problems with the ROM image upload software for the HP38G and HP48 made by JYA year ago. After some investigations, JYA was member of the ACO team, I recognized that the XModem implementation code, used in the ROM upload software, is equal with the XSEND source code of a HP48GX. So the XSEND command in the HP48GX wasn't working also any more.

The reason is timeout loop counter overflow caused by the faster host systems. So my first solution, especially for the XSEND command, was a ROM patch ignoring the loop counter overflow. But I found a solution in the serial port emulation of Emu48 to avoid a ROM patch, so the ROM upload software and XSEND was working again.

Finally Regis fixed a timing problem in his Windows API emulation layer for serial communication.

Not enough improvements?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-15-2024, 05:45 PM
A long-awaited improvement, which would be very useful, is to be able to create KMLs in which the keyboard can be separated from the LCD screen, so that it can be zoomed independently, especially on the LCD. In this way it would be possible to adjust to different monitors without having to create n-scripts.
06-15-2024, 07:36 PM
(06-15-2024 03:58 PM)Christoph Giesselink Wrote:  Not enough improvements?
I don't want to quantify improvements. I appreciate your hard work and dedication. When time permits, I'd like to connect the Emu48 to my Topcon DL-502 digital level for the purpose of collecting data during the course of my workday. I have no knowledge of control codes, but I'm pessimistic about obtaining them from the manufacturer. I may have to rely on the kindness of an old survey instrument repair person somewhere. I want to ping the instrument to take a measurement and receive a reply of some kind.
06-15-2024, 08:00 PM
(06-15-2024 05:45 PM)compsystems Wrote:  A long-awaited improvement, which would be very useful, is to be able to create KMLs in which the keyboard can be separated from the LCD screen, so that it can be zoomed independently, especially on the LCD.
I think that's a great idea. Is it possible to create an overlay which would display alternate key assignments?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)