How to graph a derivative on HP Prime?
09-28-2014, 07:35 PM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2014 07:36 PM by mayradio0508.)
How to graph a derivative on HP Prime?
I'm currently taking a calculus course and I'm supposed to be able to graph a derivative of a function using a graphing calculator. The textbook says to input nDer(f(x),x) but I can't seem to figure it out. I've tried various things and sometimes it comes out as a line at y=0 but most of the things I've tried don't graph anything at all. Can someone explain to me how to graph a derivative of a function, such as f(x)= lnx?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-28-2014, 08:05 PM
RE: How to graph a derivative on HP Prime?
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-148...ight=slope
10-05-2014, 04:24 PM
(09-28-2014 07:35 PM)mayradio0508 Wrote:  I'm currently taking a calculus course and I'm supposed to be able to graph a derivative of a function using a graphing calculator. The textbook says to input nDer(f(x),x) but I can't seem to figure it out. I've tried various things and sometimes it comes out as a line at y=0 but most of the things I've tried don't graph anything at all. Can someone explain to me how to graph a derivative of a function, such as f(x)= lnx?

Two ways, you'll need the derivative template [Template Key, 1st row, 4th column]

Let d represent the "curvy derivative symbol".

Textbook entry:

F1(X) = LN(X)
F2(X) = (d F1(X))/(dX=X)

or directly:
F1(X) = (d LN(x))/(dX = X)

Algebraic Entry:
F1(X) = d( LN(X), X=X)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-06-2014, 04:57 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2014 05:26 PM by Chris Pem10.)
This seems like the most logical way to ask the calc to plot a function and its derivative... the syntax seems completely logical and "correct", but it just doesn't work.

But yeah; putting dX=X in the denominator works:

Of course this works as expected in the CAS environment... but that's old news here.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)