Can someone walk me through graphing an equation on Plus42
07-07-2024, 02:35 AM
Can someone walk me through graphing an equation on Plus42
For example, plotting y=x^2. Please walk me through keystroke by keystroke. Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2024, 06:46 AM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2024 09:06 PM by Steve Simpkin.)
RE: Can someone walk me through graphing an equation on Plus42
Here is a quick step-by-step example to plot the algebraic function SIN(X) using the equation list.

1. Press the Shift MODES key.

2. Press the [RAD] softkey.

3. Press EQN key.

4. Press the [NEW] softkey.

5. Use the SIN key, the letter X and the closing ) key to enter the following equation: SIN(X)

6. Press the ENTER key to enter the new equation into the equation list. This will now be the current equation as indicated by the cursor.

7. Press the Shift PLOT key. This will bring up the Plot menu with the equation from the list as the current plotting equation.

8. Press the [PARM] softkey.

9. Press the [XAXIS] softkey.

10. Press the [X] softkey.

11. Press the EXIT key.

12. Press the [VIEW] softkey (not the VIEW key).

13. Enter the following plot range using the keypad and softkeys:
-4 [XMIN]
4 [XMAX]
-1 [YMIN]
1 [YMAX]

14. Press the [PLOT] softkey to see the plot for this function.

I used the following Plus42 site for reference.
https://thomasokken.com/plus42/#plot

Let me know if you have any problems.

Edit: The following PDF file has a more detailed version of the above example with more screenshots.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X-ck-bx...sp=sharing
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-07-2024, 06:45 PM
Hi.

I’m getting stuck at the XAXIS step. No Menu Variables keeps popping up. I’ve been repeating your steps. I keep getting stuck there.
07-07-2024, 07:55 PM
(07-07-2024 06:45 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  Hi.

I’m getting stuck at the XAXIS step. No Menu Variables keeps popping up. I’ve been repeating your steps. I keep getting stuck there.

I have added step numbers and a few screenshots after some of the steps.
Which steps looks different on your screen in Plus42 and what looks different on it?
07-07-2024, 08:14 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2024 08:21 PM by Matt Agajanian.)
(07-07-2024 07:55 PM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  
(07-07-2024 06:45 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  Hi.

I have added step numbers and a few screenshots after some of the steps.
Which steps looks different on your screen in Plus42 and what looks different on it?

Thanks for the tips. I’m still getting stuck at the same step. No Menu Variables keeps showing up when I press either XAXIS or YAXIS softkey.

Could there be a config/setting I’m missing?
07-07-2024, 08:37 PM
(07-07-2024 08:14 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  
(07-07-2024 07:55 PM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  I have added step numbers and a few screenshots after some of the steps.

Thanks for the tips. I’m still getting stuck at the same step. No Menu Variables keeps showing up when I press either XAXIS or YAXIS softkey.

Interesting. When you initially press Shift PLOT in step 7 after entering the equation, do you see 'SIN(X)' at the top of the screen exactly as shown below?
[Image: attachment.php?aid=13692]
07-07-2024, 08:41 PM
(07-07-2024 06:45 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  I’m getting stuck at the XAXIS step. No Menu Variables keeps popping up. I’ve been repeating your steps. I keep getting stuck there.

It sounds like you selected a program without MVAR lines. When plotting such a program, XAXIS and YAXIS are both set to <STK> and cannot be changed. What this means is that PLOT will pass the parameter to the function in the X register, and it will take the function's return value from the X register as well.
07-07-2024, 11:51 PM
Originally at the end I pressed the VIEW main button instead of the VIEW softkey at the top.
This fixed my problem - Cheers
07-07-2024, 11:52 PM
(07-07-2024 08:14 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  
(07-07-2024 07:55 PM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  I have added step numbers and a few screenshots after some of the steps.

Matt,

I added the following PDF version of the above example that has more details and more screenshots. See if that helps.
07-10-2024, 08:44 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2024 08:58 PM by Matt Agajanian.)
(07-07-2024 11:52 PM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  
(07-07-2024 08:14 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  Thanks for the tips. I’m still getting stuck at the same step. No Menu Variables keeps showing up when I press either XAXIS or YAXIS softkey.

Matt,

I added the following PDF version of the above example that has more details and more screenshots. See if that helps.

Thanks. I’ll give it a look.

It worked!!

By the way,

(07-07-2024 11:51 PM)PeteMoore Wrote:  Originally at the end I pressed the VIEW main button instead of the VIEW softkey at the top.

That might have been my hiccup as well.
07-10-2024, 09:05 PM
(07-10-2024 08:44 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  
(07-07-2024 11:52 PM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  Matt,

Thanks. I’ll give it a look.

It worked!!

By the way,

(07-07-2024 11:51 PM)PeteMoore Wrote:  Originally at the end I pressed the VIEW main button instead of the VIEW softkey at the top.

That might have been my hiccup as well.

Excellent! I had forgotten there was a VIEW key. I will update step 12 to clarify.
07-10-2024, 09:21 PM
(07-10-2024 09:11 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  
(07-10-2024 09:05 PM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  Excellent! I had forgotten there was a VIEW key. I will update step 12 to clarify.

Steve, I must be missing another step. I cannot save the PDF to Dropbox.

I keep trying, but no go.

When you click on the link it should open a new tab with the PDF file shown. You should be able to click on the Download button (circled in the screenshot below) to download the PDF. I have done this on my PC browser and on my phone. I do not know about saving it to Dropbox.

07-10-2024, 09:30 PM
(07-10-2024 09:21 PM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  
(07-10-2024 09:11 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  Steve, I must be missing another step. I cannot save the PDF to Dropbox.

I keep trying, but no go.

When you click on the link it should open a new tab with the PDF file shown. You should be able to click on the Download button (circled in the screenshot below) to download the PDF. I have done this on my PC browser and on my phone. I do not know about saving it to Dropbox.

Now I open the link up in Chrome. It was easy going from there. I got the file. I figured since the doc is in Google Drive, I decided to try opening Chrome. That helped.

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)