Old 30b/20b firmware POGO cable for HP15c CE?
09-12-2024, 11:15 PM
Old 30b/20b firmware POGO cable for HP15c CE?
Hi all,
I've looked through the various threads but couldn't find the answer to this question (apologies if it HAS been answered before!). I've seen it answered the other way round - you can't use the new cable on older models without doing some trickery. So here goes:
I have one of those older firmware flashing cables that has a USB on one end and an RS-232-like serial cable adapter in the middle, with a SAM-BA / POGO port on the other end. It was made back in the early days of flashing HP20b and HP30b calculators to turn them into WP34s and WP31s calculators (I have one of the former).
Can this same older cable be used to upgrade firmware etc. on the new HP15C Collectors Edition model? Or will the power be all wrong and destroy it? In other words do I have to buy a fresh cable?
Thanks for your help!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-13-2024, 12:01 AM
RE: Old 30b/20b firmware POGO cable for HP15c CE?
The old cable can be modified to work with the CE, but then it won't work with the LE.
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-19...#pid179488
09-13-2024, 08:51 PM
(09-12-2024 11:15 PM)JimP Wrote:  Hi all,
I've looked through the various threads but couldn't find the answer to this question (apologies if it HAS been answered before!). I've seen it answered the other way round - you can't use the new cable on older models without doing some trickery. So here goes:
I have one of those older firmware flashing cables that has a USB on one end and an RS-232-like serial cable adapter in the middle, with a SAM-BA / POGO port on the other end. It was made back in the early days of flashing HP20b and HP30b calculators to turn them into WP34s and WP31s calculators (I have one of the former).
Can this same older cable be used to upgrade firmware etc. on the new HP15C Collectors Edition model? Or will the power be all wrong and destroy it? In other words do I have to buy a fresh cable?
Thanks for your help!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not destroy any old cables meant for the HP20b/30b. You can get a cable for your 15c CE from https://commerce.hpcalc.org/usbpogo.php

If you have an intact old cable, I'll gladly take it off your hands. I have one, but someone (ahem) rolled his desk chair over it and broke the plastic housing where the PCB and switches are. It still works, but it's held together with heatshrink tubing Sad

Thanks,

/ji
09-14-2024, 03:42 PM
(09-13-2024 12:01 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  The old cable can be modified to work with the CE, but then it won't work with the LE

A savvy user could probably de-solder/solder a USB cable and switch to one of these and make a "dual-use" cable. Of course you'd have to remember to use the switch or *zap*.

A1

HP-15C (2234A02xxx), HP-16C (2403A02xxx), HP-15C CE (9CJ323-03xxx), HP-20S (2844A16xxx), HP-12C+ (9CJ251)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)