HP 49g+ and HP 50g Connectivity
07-15-2024, 04:25 PM
HP 49g+ and HP 50g Connectivity
Hi,

Just joined the forum and I have a question about the HP49g+ and the HP50g.

I have these calculators and in the past I have used Conn4x to connect them via usb to my PC, in those days the OS would have been NT4, XP or Win7, I cannot remember which, it was about 6 years ago. Which ever OS it was the connection was always successfull for both calculators.

Lately I've been trying to connect to a Windows 11 PC. The drivers (hpcalculatorusbsetup) are correct and working but only for the HP 49g+, Conn4x works fine and I can transfer files etc. However the PC cannot see the 50g. It seems strange that the 49g+ is ok but the 50g is not. I would have thought that if the 49g+ is visible to the PC, and Conn4x, then the 50g would also be visible.

If anyone has any ideas I would be keen to hear them.

Many thanks for any help.

Rod
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-15-2024, 09:57 PM
RE: HP 49g+ and HP 50g Connectivity
One thing you can try...

On the 50g, make sure that system flags -33 and -78 are both clear, which should set the calculator for using the USB port for communication. If either of those flags is set, the USB port won't be selected for communication.

Besides the usual flag methods for checking their status (FS? FS?C, etc.), you can also do the following:
  • Press the [APPS] key
  • Press 2, then ENTER
  • Press 5, then ENTER

This should present you with the TRANSFER dialog. The top left field is the one to check for its current status. When set properly, you should see "USB" in that field. "IrDA" or "Serial" will disallow using the USB port for transfers.
07-16-2024, 04:38 PM
Hi David,

Many thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately all the settings are correct but I don't have a flag 78, the list of flags under MODE/Flags jumps from 76 to 79.

On further testing I can see that the 50g does connect, the message out of Conn4x is a little misleading.

Looking at the logs for both calculators the problem on the 50g is at the following stage, when establishing a data connection. The 50g times out but the 49g+ does not:

HP 50g

"send command = G
command packet = '(dollar sign x 3)t'
Status = Copying (dollar sign x 3)t
TX Receive begins for
SafeRd TimeOut
SafeRd TimeOut
No data, time count = 94
SafeRd TimeOut
No data, time count = 172"

It gets to here:

"SafeRd TimeOut
No data, time count = 2547
ReadFile exceeded maximum time for reads of zero bytes
Serious error, disconnecting
sending CAN
Connection Error."

Whereas the 49g+ log shows:

"send command = G
command packet = '(dollar sign x 3)t'
Status = Copying (dollar sign x 3)t
TX Receive begins for
0/128 bytes
 sent/recvd at 7529 bytes/s
Begin pulse  {
send command = M
SafeRd TimeOut
}  End pulse
Status =
Calculator model = 49
Calculator model = 49G+"

and the connection is successful.

N.B. the '(dollar sign x 3)' above is because the forum editor thinks the dollar sign is a command.

I've attached the complete log files.

Best Regards
Rod

Attached File(s)
.txt  49g+.txt (Size: 1.83 KB / Downloads: 4)
.txt  50g log.txt (Size: 2.66 KB / Downloads: 5)
07-17-2024, 06:09 PM
(07-16-2024 04:38 PM)RodFl Wrote:  Unfortunately all the settings are correct but I don't have a flag 78, the list of flags under MODE/Flags jumps from 76 to 79.

The built-in MODE/flag browser doesn't show flag -78, but it is still there. If you saw "USB" in the Port field when checking the APPS dialog, the flag settings are fine. { -33 -78 } CF will clear them both if needed. Likewise, { -33 -78 } FS? will show their current settings. You wouldn't have seen any calc-side activity in the logs if USB hadn't been set.

Seeing the logs you attached, it appears you are using the "unofficial" version of Conn4x which was tweaked by Bill Graves for some timing issues when backing up 48 calculators.

Checking my computer, it appears that I'm using the "official" version 2.3 build 2439. You may want to try that version instead to see if it makes a difference. I was under the impression that the major differences between build 2361 and 2439 pertained to making backups, but there may have been more to it.

This still seems a bit odd to me, though, as the 49g+ and 50g should behave in the same manner if they are both running v2.15 firmware.
07-18-2024, 02:30 PM
Hi David,

I think you have spotted the problem. The 49g+ is on firmware version 1.23 and the 50g is on 2.15. Although I would have thought that if v1.23 can communicate then v2.15 should also be able to communicate.

I tried build 2439 of Conn4x but same result so I think your are correct when you say it is "a bit odd".

I'm not going to upgrade the 49g+ to v2.15 for fear that neither will work.

I think we've gone as far as we can with this, I'll stick to using the SD card for data transferr.

Thank you so much for your helpful suggestions, if I do find a solution I'll post it on the forum.

Rod
07-18-2024, 03:04 PM
Hello again David,

SOLVED, the whole thing was a PICNIC (Problem In Chair, Not In Computer). There are times when I feel really dumb.

In Conn4x I had the 'Connect using' option set to Auto, which seems reasonable. However when I select HP-49G+ from the drop down list it works. I don't need to do this for the 49g+ calculator, the Auto option works fine with that.

I came across a post of yours on a Google group from 2012 when you were helping someone with a similar problem, you mentioned selecting 'USB Calculator' for the 'Connect using' option in Conn4x which prompted me to see what it offered other than Auto.

Thanks again for all your help.

Rod
07-18-2024, 03:41 PM
(07-18-2024 03:04 PM)RodFl Wrote:  In Conn4x I had the 'Connect using' option set to Auto, which seems reasonable. However when I select HP-49G+ from the drop down list it works. I don't need to do this for the 49g+ calculator, the Auto option works fine with that.

I came across a post of yours on a Google group from 2012 when you were helping someone with a similar problem, you mentioned selecting 'USB Calculator' for the 'Connect using' option in Conn4x which prompted me to see what it offered other than Auto.

Fantastic! Glad I could (indirectly) provide some assistance. So many options, so few brain cells to remember them (speaking of me, not you of course). I do connect to my 50g with Conn4x set to "Auto", so that wouldn't have been my first guess. But it obviously made a difference this time.

I'm just pleased that these connections can still be made and that current Windows versions can still support them. I know that won't last indefinitely, but I'll take it while it's available.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)