Repair work on the mechanics of the thermal printer HP-82143A
07-19-2024, 03:28 PM
Repair work on the mechanics of the thermal printer HP-82143A
Dear All,

I actually wanted to point out my new article about repair work on the mechanics of the HP-82143A thermal printer, which should be available for download in the article forum again (like its companion article about a Test-bench for the HP-Thermal-Printing-unit. Unfortunately, the upload to the article forum doesn't work. I've already asked Dave Hicks, but haven't received a response yet.
Therefore, you can find the abstract of the article below and if you're interested, you can send me a PM and I'll send you the PDF-file of the article. The article is again available in German and English. Please state in which language you would like to read it.

Abstract:
Along with the HP-41C, the HP-82143A thermal printer was introduced on July 1, 1979. Even with the proverbial HP quality of the time, it should come as no surprise that after 45 years, one or two parts of the printing mechanism need to be replaced. HP has published the "HP 82143A Printer Service Manual" for this purpose. There are also numerous printed instructions and videos on the Internet. "Armed" with some of these, I set about replacing the rubber pressure rollers for the paper transport, which were no longer functioning, and came across a number of pitfalls and omissions in these instructions, some of which led to serious problems. In the following article, I would like to try to describe the disassembly, repair and reassembly of the printer as precisely as possible so that you, dear reader, can (hopefully) be spared these problems and the headaches associated with them.

Best regards
Karl

P.S.: Any hint how to get the article uploaded into the Article Forum will be very much appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-19-2024, 03:55 PM
RE: Repair work on the mechanics of the thermal printer HP-82143A
(07-19-2024 03:28 PM)Karl-Ludwig Butte Wrote:  P.S.: Any hint how to get the article uploaded into the Article Forum will be very much appreciated.

It's not clear exactly what the problem symptoms are, however if you are trying to submit an update to an existing article, this can't be done as replies are not permitted in this sub-forum, it's intended to be a place of 'permanent' articles only, with possible dialog, if needed, in a separate thread in the appropriate sub-forum.

If that's not the case, what problem are you having?

What size is the attachment?

--Bob Prosperi
07-19-2024, 04:26 PM (This post was last modified: 07-19-2024 04:27 PM by Karl-Ludwig Butte.)
Hi rprosperi,

I opened a new thread, filled in the subject and the message. After that I clicked the "Select File"-Button, selected the file and clicked the "Add attachment"-Button. After some time the page was refreshed but the attachment was not added. I checked the available disk space but that turned out to be sufficient. No error message - nothing.

If you would have any idea, what went wrong, that would be great.

Thank you for your reply anyway.

Best regards
Karl

P.S.: The size of the file is 3,562 MB
07-19-2024, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the details, it helps!

What format is the attachment?

Only certain file types are supported, including PDF, which is what I expect this would be.

If it's something unusual, try converting it to PDF and try it again, it seems you are doing things correctly.

--Bob Prosperi
07-20-2024, 09:14 AM
Hi Bob,

you're right - it's pdf-file.

Best regards

Karl
07-20-2024, 12:13 PM
To try to nail it down, please try to upload a relatively small PDF file and see if that works. Even though your overall account may have enough available space, possibly that file is too large for a file size limit (which I don't know the max size).

If the small file works, then maybe you could try to split your large, single file into 2 or more smalller PDF files.

--Bob Prosperi
07-20-2024, 01:35 PM
Hi Bob,

thanks a lot - that worked!. I split the article into 2 files, each smaller than 2MB.

The English version of "Repair work on the mechanics of the thermal printer HP-82143A" is now available in the Article Forum. For the German version, there is not enough disk space available, which is limited to 8 MB per member.

If one would like to read the German version, please send me a PM with your e-mail-address and I will send you a copy.

Many thanks, Bob, for your help!

Best regards

Karl

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)