Trouble getting my DM41X to be seen by windows11
07-23-2024, 05:59 AM
Trouble getting my DM41X to be seen by windows11
Hi
Went into system on DM41X selected Activate USB Disk but windows doesn't see it. Am I doing something wrong? Changed cables just in case but no luck, only thing I see on the calculator is a screen saying 'USB disk mode' and how to get out of USB disk mode by pressing 'ON'.

If I show Disk Info it says
State: Ready
Storage: OK

The PC shows my standard disk info.
Randy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-23-2024, 12:24 PM
RE: Trouble getting my DM41X to be seen by windows11
It's possible your USB cables are fitting deeply enough into the USB port to connect. The geometry of the metal DM41X around the port can prevent some cables fitting all the way in. If that's the case, you can trim some of the plastic on the head shell of the Micro-USB connector or use a different cable that can reach all the way in. One option is to use a USB cable which has an extra long tip, made for situations just like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013CX6XO8/

Many users have reported this solves the '"can't connect" problem.

--Bob Prosperi
07-23-2024, 10:27 PM
Nope
Used a cable that goes all the way in, no luck. I'm sure it's something simple, just don't know what it is.
Randy
07-24-2024, 01:01 AM
I've gone out to the Swiss Micros Forum Site and this seems to be a reoccurring problem at least with the DM32. Will try some of their solutions and get back to you.
Randy
07-24-2024, 11:59 AM
The problem is nearly certainly to be an improperly connecting cable, there are few other things that can go wrong, no drivers or special s/w is needed for the USB mode connection. Is it possible the cables you are using are charging cables and don't have signal connections, this is also a common situation. Can you connect (beyond power) to other devices using the cables that seem to not work with the 41X ?

--Bob Prosperi
07-24-2024, 05:52 PM
Hey
Connected my Nook cable to it and File Explorer does not show the calculator, if I unplug the cable from the calculator it says USB not connected. If I re-connect the Nook it shows up in File Explorer.
Randy
07-25-2024, 12:16 AM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2024 12:20 AM by rprosperi.)
I've no idea what a Nook is and I assume you mean that you use the same cable to connect this same PC to the Nook and it works OK. If so, then it pretty much means the cable head shell is preventing the connector from seating all the way into the DM41X's USB jack. Even though it appears fine, this will inevitably prove to be the case.

Here's my suggestion - buy the cable I mentioned above and if it does not work, I'll buy the cable from you so you've no risk.

If that doesn't work, then the USB port is somehow bad, in which case I can help you get it exchanged, but I don't believe that has ever been the case. The units are connected and tested as part of the prep to ship each time.

--Bob Prosperi
07-25-2024, 01:52 AM
Hi
Cables on the way, let you know how it works out. Oh, a Nook is a "Barnes and Noble" Tablet, has Wi-Fi or direct connect. Word Excel etc...
Randy
07-25-2024, 12:04 PM
(07-25-2024 01:52 AM)knife31 Wrote:  Hi
Cables on the way, let you know how it works out. Oh, a Nook is a "Barnes and Noble" Tablet, has Wi-Fi or direct connect. Word Excel etc...
Randy

Ahh... ok, now I recognize Nook; in the context of connecting it to the PC I was baffled, though I guess that's the most common way of loading content, not sure why it didn't click...

I think you'll be OK with the new cable, but please do come back and confirm either way, it's helpful for future readers to see which solutions work for different issues.

--Bob Prosperi
07-28-2024, 02:26 AM
Mr. Prosperi
Got the cable and it fixed it immediately. Good deal. I'm wondering with all the problems folks have with this connection, that SwissMicro just doesn't include a cable with the calculator. I had trimmed a connector down on one of my other cables, but I think it was a charging only cable. It did have a really long connector thou so file 13 for it.
Thanks again for the advice.
Randy
07-28-2024, 12:08 PM
Great, glad you got it working, and thanks for posting the solution here, it will help future readers with the same problem.

Enjoy your new 41X, as a 41 fan you'll have a huge amount of fun re-learning and exploring the 41 and with hundreds of ROMs to explore, it should be fun for quite a while.

And no formalities needed, "Bob" is fine, Mr Prosperi makes me feel old...

--Bob Prosperi
07-29-2024, 02:35 AM
Bob
By way of introduction, I'm still an advanced beginner but have been using HP's sense 1977. Just turned 71 and hope to be using them for the next 30 or 40 yearsSmile.
Just came up with a way to store my Voyager calcs and others. Using a cigar box that has individual slots for the cigars. Ran out of room so am still looking for a matching box or boxes.
I currently have: 28S (2), 18C, 15C Collectors, 11C, 12C, 16C, DM-41L, PX-11, PX-15 in box. Not shown DM-41L, 67, 97(2), 11C, 12c (2), 95LX, 41CV, 41, 35, 35s, 48GX, 42 and lots of peripherals (HP-IL etc... I added a picture of the box. I'm on the list for a 41CL (hopefully), plan on using the other 41 for the case.
Randy
07-29-2024, 02:36 AM
PS
Added the picture as an attachment but don't see it?
07-29-2024, 03:09 AM
(07-29-2024 02:36 AM)knife31 Wrote:  PS
Added the picture as an attachment but don't see it?

The usual culprit is after you click browse and select the file to attach, you also have to click the "Add Attachment" button before saving the message. Give that a try.

--Bob Prosperi
07-29-2024, 03:20 AM
Instant rerun
07-29-2024, 03:21 AM
Weird did that and nothing
RH
07-29-2024, 03:31 AM
Only limited file types can be uploaded - try converting to .jpg and make sure the file size is under 2MB.

--Bob Prosperi
07-29-2024, 05:17 AM
Second Re-Run

.bmp  Storage.bmp (Size: 159.43 KB / Downloads: 26)
07-29-2024, 08:39 AM
And where are the cigars now? :-)
07-29-2024, 10:51 PM
Humidor along with their buddies less one or two~.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)