HP 50g in 2024, some guidance needed
08-29-2024, 10:07 AM
HP 50g in 2024, some guidance needed
Hi! A friend an I recently got a pair of really nice HP50g's, and we're amazed by how much it can do given it's age and it's price (around 45USD each one).

I made this thread because it's been a little bit hard to find information about different ROMs available (which one could be the best) and different programs that can improve the experience and capabilities. As of now, both calculators are on ROM 2.15, but I've read a bit about BP's 2.10-7, that it's basically 2.15, without HP's Smart stream app (I also think it's useless). I've looked at his site and also looked at hpcalc.org, and I'm not completely sure that the available download are the ROM I'm looking for. Any confirmation will be appreciated.

Also, I was wondering if there is any active (and of course, unnofficial) development on this calculator.

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-29-2024, 01:10 PM
RE: HP 50g in 2024, some guidance needed
Hi, Welcome to the Forums!

ROM 2.15 is the last version and the overwhelming favorite. I do not know of any disadvantages, but it is easy and relatively safe to flash new ROMs so feel free to experiment. You may also want to try EMU48 if you have a windows PC and/or an Android phone. It is an exact emulation of the 48/49/50 and can use pretty much any ROM. Note that there are different versions of the ROMs for loading into EMU48.

Not sure what you mean by "development", but there are loads of programs available on hpcalc.org and in the General Software forum here.
08-29-2024, 06:13 PM
RE: HP 50g in 2024, some guidance needed
Cool! I'll check out the general section here!

By development I meant like unnofficial or alternative ROMs that bring new features or improvements.

I've read that version 2.15 has some issues with the IFTE command, and now that I'm studying signals and systems, where i need convolutions, causalizing signals and more, being able to work with piecewise functions is kind of important to me. I believe that maybe version 2.10-7 doesn't have that bug, but I wasn't able to find anything. Also, the geometry and spreadsheet apps that supposedly are on 2.10-7 make me want to test them...

Thanks!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)