Graphing options
10-06-2014, 03:47 AM
Graphing options
Would it be possible to add in a future firmware find "x" given "y" and find "y" given "x" in the graphing environment?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2014, 05:19 AM
RE: Graphing options
(10-06-2014 03:47 AM)lrdheat Wrote:  Would it be possible to add in a future firmware find "x" given "y" and find "y" given "x" in the graphing environment?

Finding Y given X is already in the Function plotter: just type the value for X and press Enter. X and the desired Y value are shown in the menu area.

On the other hand, I don't know of any simple, direct way to get X given Y in the plotter, short of plotting the inverse function, or painstakingly shoving the cursor around the graph. There must be a way...

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-06-2014, 02:51 PM
I asked this as I found this a handy item on my CASIO fx 9860 gii re finding "x" given "y".
10-06-2014, 03:26 PM
(10-06-2014 03:47 AM)lrdheat Wrote:  Would it be possible to add in a future firmware find "x" given "y" and find "y" given "x" in the graphing environment?

The Prime already has this feature in the Advanced Graphing App, which seems like a reasonable place to put it. Go to the Num View and turn Trace Edge on. Pressing X or Y in the soft menu toggles between "given X find Y" and "given Y find X."

Quote:I asked this as I found this a handy item on my CASIO fx 9860 gii re finding "x" given "y".

At least on the CASIO fx-9660G, if the function is not one-to-one, X-CAL shows only the smallest visible value. (Is there another way to do this?)

On the Prime, if there are multiple X's or Y's, it shows up to 10 of them. Pretty slick.

-wes
10-06-2014, 08:38 PM
Thanks! Cool feature! Like it!

On the CASIO fx-9860GII graph itself, one can pick a "y" value, and the firstmost "x" on the graph that satisfies "y" is displayed on the graph with the x,y coordinate displayed on the bottom of the display. If another "x" value that satisfies "y" exists on the graphview, pressing on the directional disk to the right makes the curser jump to the next "x" that satisfies "y" with it's coordinates displayed on the bottom of the display.
10-07-2014, 07:29 AM
I have tried to explore this feature with an easy function: y=x^2
It behaves strange, even it soft reseted. Try it:
Press num key to go to the tables. Fix Trace Edge. If you press Y softkey the results are OK, but as you move the table with your finger and release from the screen, and the inertia movement acts, some results disapear on table.
And if you press X softkey, and you search the value of Y when X=20 for example, it does not show the result. It´s like the only results showed are those limited by the graphing limits. If you press zoom+ or zoom- on the plot, it modifies the range of values on the table.

There´s something strange.
11-21-2014, 08:51 PM
(10-06-2014 05:19 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  ...On the other hand, I don't know of any simple, direct way to get X given Y in the plotter, short of plotting the inverse function, or painstakingly shoving the cursor around the graph. There must be a way...

Perhaps not as simple & direct as it could / should be, but one possibility (in an Advanced Graphing plot view) is to add a Y=constant function and then set the tracing mode to PoI / Intersections with ...

The constant could be changed while in the plotter by bringing up its definition (via the Defn menu key) and editing the function.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)