HP-19Bii variables and plotting
11-17-2014, 08:34 AM (This post was last modified: 11-17-2014 10:33 AM by x34.)
HP-19Bii variables and plotting
Well, now I can write programs using HP-19Bii solver, but there are questions:

1. Is it possible to get two or more results after an equation is solved? i.e., I need a pair of values, not one. Maybe it is possible to somehow convert the pair into polar or descartes form? --Solved, use MenuVars+RCL.
2. What is the way to VIEW values of menu variables in solver? --Solved. RCL+MenuVar.
3. Is it possible to store results to variables which could be used outside the solver? Maybe, some financial list? - Partially solved, lists should work.
4. Is there any possibility to use plot in solver, and/or plot functions? Maybe, somebody has a program (or any way) to plot sin(x) at least?

tia,
x34

P.S.

I've found somewhat arcane description http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docum...e=bpia5155

"Is it possible to access data stored in the CFLO and SUM lists from the solver? HP 19bii: Yes. See section on "Solver Functions that use CFLO Lists," and "Solver Functions that use SUM Lists" in the sections that follow this table. "

It says you can use SUM/CFLO lists in solver. Are there any non-financial examples using these lists (17B or 19b)?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-17-2014, 04:21 PM
RE: HP-19Bii variables and plotting
(11-17-2014 08:34 AM)x34 Wrote:  It says you can use SUM/CFLO lists in solver. Are there any non-financial examples using these lists (17B or 19b)?

Sure. Create a sum list called SCORES. Put 75, 89, and 66 in it. Then enter this solver equation and solve for A:

A=SIGMA(I:1:SIZES(SCORES):1:ITEM(SCORES:I))

You should get 230. I think both the 17b and 19b would do this fine.

Of course, use the sigma symbol for SIGMA, I'm just too lazy to look up the Latex code.
11-17-2014, 04:29 PM (This post was last modified: 11-17-2014 04:30 PM by Dave Britten.)
You can definitely read values from lists from within an equation, but I don't believe it's possible to write values. Don can probably chime in here; I haven't done it recently enough to remember the exact syntax (despite using my 17Bii on a daily basis).

EDIT: I see Don found the thread while I was typing. Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-17-2014, 05:32 PM (This post was last modified: 11-18-2014 02:09 AM by Don Shepherd.)
(11-17-2014 04:29 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  You can definitely read values from lists from within an equation, but I don't believe it's possible to write values. Don can probably chime in here; I haven't done it recently enough to remember the exact syntax (despite using my 17Bii on a daily basis).

EDIT: I see Don found the thread while I was typing. Smile

Ah, if you could only write to a sum list in a Solver equation ... that would definitely be way cool.
11-18-2014, 02:52 AM
(11-17-2014 08:34 AM)x34 Wrote:  3. Is it possible to store results to variables which could be used outside the solver? Maybe, some financial list? - Partially solved, lists should work.

In a solver equation, the variables you use are global in the sense that they (and their current values) can be referenced in other solver equations, but as far as I know they can't be referenced anywhere else. A solver equation also cannot use the registers that you can use from the keyboard via STO and RCL.

Using Sum lists in a solver equation is a one-way street, unfortunately. The solver can read data you put in these lists, but not update it or create new lists, as Dave Britten has said.
11-18-2014, 07:56 AM
Thank you, Don and Dave.

So, there is no way to alter external variables (lists, registers) in Solver. It is a real pity.
And, AFAIK, it is impossible to plot anything other than histograms or curve fitting.

I wonder why the calc does have such cruel restrictions? Hp-200LX solver could plot functions.
11-18-2014, 01:44 PM
(11-18-2014 07:56 AM)x34 Wrote:  I wonder why the calc does have such cruel restrictions?

Well, considering the 17b and 19b came out in January of 1988, almost 27 years ago, I've always considered it amazing that they had the "programming" features like sigma and IF() at all. If an equation solver is meant to just solve equations, those features would not be needed. In fact, I don't know of any other equation solver that has them. Yes, I would absolutely love the ability to write to a sum list in a solver equation. A few years ago I even found one of the original 17b developers (Paul McClellan) and contacted him about the possible existence of a hidden command to write to a sum list; if there is such a command, he didn't know about it. Having the ability to write to a sum list in a solver equation would open up the solver to many additional programming possibilities. But the 17b is still an extraordinary machine.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)