Latests Virtual Prime (V6940 20141124) in Wine?
12-04-2014, 01:23 PM
Latests Virtual Prime (V6940 20141124) in Wine?
The latest release of the Prime PC programs seem to use a new installer that Wine can't handle, at least not out-of-the-box. (The previous version used InstallShield.)

Has anyone managed to run the latest Virtual Prime using Wine, on either Mac or Linux? If so, what tricks did you apply?

/Lennart Börjeson
Stockholm, Sweden
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2014, 03:36 PM
RE: Latests Virtual Prime (V6940 20141124) in Wine?
I would guess you can just copy it from the directory somewhere and try it that way. The installer isn't really necessary for anything other the distribution. In fact, you can run it from a USB stick and it automatically stores files locally instead.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
12-04-2014, 06:21 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2014 06:21 PM by Han.)
(12-04-2014 01:23 PM)lenborje Wrote:  The latest release of the Prime PC programs seem to use a new installer that Wine can't handle, at least not out-of-the-box. (The previous version used InstallShield.)

Has anyone managed to run the latest Virtual Prime using Wine, on either Mac or Linux? If so, what tricks did you apply?

Does the log file show it getting stuck after creating various directories? (In my own attempt, the directories it creates does not have proper attributes such as executable and read/write.)

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
12-04-2014, 06:36 PM
(12-04-2014 06:21 PM)Han Wrote:  Does the log file show it getting stuck after creating various directories? (In my own attempt, the directories it creates does not have proper attributes such as executable and read/write.)

No, it crashes with an access violation in memory.

/Lennart Börjeson
Stockholm, Sweden
12-04-2014, 07:38 PM
(12-04-2014 03:36 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  I would guess you can just copy it from the directory somewhere and try it that way.

That worked! I used Wineskin (http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php) which lets you copy an existing directory into the Winewrapper.

/Lennart Börjeson
Stockholm, Sweden
12-08-2014, 05:27 AM

HP Prime Emulator on Mac OS X

I use Wine Bottler. I've tried to run the installer but it crashes because the directories the installer creates do not have the appropriate attributes and therefore nothing can be placed in them.

Initial observations:
  • USB connection to an actual HP Prime plugged into the USB port doesn't work.
  • The links to the PDF files in the emulator menu report "The help file pdf not found" (likely due to the fact that I used a Windows copy of the program folder).
  • On a very recent Macbook Pro, the emulator "stutters" a bit in terms of user-interface. For example, there is a tiny delay between a click and its recognition by the emulator.

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
12-08-2014, 08:42 PM
Quote:USB connection to an actual HP Prime plugged into the USB port doesn't work.
Wine has no USB support. It's a very old todo/wish list item, but a hard one...
01-29-2015, 07:50 AM
I installed the Prime emulator on linux mint using PlayOnLinux. I didn't have any problems and it works very good.
I also installed the connection kit without problems, it can connect to the virtual Prime. The connection with the real Prime is not possible because of the lack of USB support in wine (actually a wine problem, not an HP problem).

To transfer data from and to a real Prime under linux I use "libhpcalcs", until now it is just a library upon witch someone could develop a graphical interface, but working from the command line with "test_hpcalcs" you can do backup and transfer files.
I have to admit that the installation of "libhpcalcs" is not yet straightforward, you still have to look for dependencies and build the application for yourself, but it works.

regards

reto

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)