Status of current Prime Upgrade?
12-09-2014, 08:43 PM
Status of current Prime Upgrade?
Two questions:

It isn't quite clear what's going on...there was an upgrade which has been pulled back due to errors so the upgrade is not currently available?

And what might be the possibility (sheer speculation, I know) of a Prime with more legible keyboard colors?

I am going to to see if HP will upgrade mine as I am interested in add-on devices but if they will also "fix" the Keyboard colors, I'll wait.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Craig
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2014, 09:07 PM
RE: Status of current Prime Upgrade?
Quote:there was an upgrade which has been pulled back due to errors so the upgrade is not currently available?
Correct, based on what is written in the topics around.
The version which was pulled, build 6940 from 20141124, does not damage calculators, but it has a bug which makes inconvenient some rather common usage of the RPN mode: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-2539.html
12-10-2014, 03:34 AM
Well I for one am very happy I got the update installed before it was pulled, because it fixed the one really vexing aspect of the previous update, which deleted the ability to send programs and data from the physical Prime to the Emulator. I've long since stopped using the Prime with RPN entry, so I could care less what additional bugs HP has managed to inject into it.
12-10-2014, 04:13 AM
(12-10-2014 03:34 AM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  I've long since stopped using the Prime with RPN entry, so I could care less what additional bugs HP has managed to inject into it.

I'm somewhat in the same boat -- except for when I'm entering in more complicated expressions or commands. It sucks to have to deal with parentheses :-(

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
12-10-2014, 06:32 AM
Since they pulled back the "build 6940 from 20141124" update, How long will it take to fix this update?
12-10-2014, 10:47 AM
It Probably won't be long before an update becomes available.

The folks that comprise the calculator division are doing a great job. The Prime has emerged as a very sophisticated product, in a marketplace where standalone calculating devices are giving way to smart devices, in a competitive business environment, with ever-tightening resources, whose principal market share is narrowly focused (education). Without the fortunate support from Tim, Bernard, Han, and others, the Prime may have already surpassed it's namesake.

-Dale-
12-10-2014, 05:27 PM
(12-10-2014 10:47 AM)DrD Wrote:  It Probably won't be long before an update becomes available.

The folks that comprise the calculator division are doing a great job. The Prime has emerged as a very sophisticated product, in a marketplace where standalone calculating devices are giving way to smart devices, in a competitive business environment, with ever-tightening resources, whose principal market share is narrowly focused (education). Without the fortunate support from Tim, Bernard, Han, and others, the Prime may have already surpassed it's namesake.

-Dale-

Yesterday I've seen on Slashdot open source calculator running on Linux. I think in 1-2 years there will be open source calculator and somebody will make port of xCAS to it and that will be it and RIP half baked calculators.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)