Connectivity Kit. Still another major BUG
12-29-2014, 07:09 AM (This post was last modified: 12-30-2014 06:20 AM by bobkrohn.)
Connectivity Kit. Still another major BUG
Connectivity Kit
Bring up a Spreadsheet or Matrix.
Click on Top Left corner and highlight the whole thing.
Copy and Paste to your ASCII Text Editor. OK.

Will not work with Lists.
Can't even do individual Cells. Have to click on it as if Editing it.
No multi-Cell selection. Is anybody at home?

Sooo... Let's try a workaround. list2mat(listname,col)!
Yes, creates a Matrix in Home Screen.
BUT
you can't store it to a Matrix variable!!
ex.
list2mat(L2,100)->M2

What the Heck is wrong with these people?

Wow! Unbelievable.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-30-2014, 12:07 AM
RE: Connectivity Kit. Still another major BUG
(12-29-2014 07:09 AM)bobkrohn Wrote:  Can't even do individual Cells. Have to click on it as if Editing it.
No multi-Cell selection. Is anybody at home?

I'm at home. Not sure where you are. Must be quite exciting to get the blood boiled up so high though.

Basically, the list editor was created long before we had the ability to use touch for multi-selection as it was coded for a prior calculator. It has not been reworked yet to use a more advanced control. Since development is now done in an iterative nature certain parts of the system are touched in each update. That one hasn't been touched really since its creation.

Quote:list2mat(L2,100)->M2

Works fine here, so I am not sure as I can't reproduce what you are attempting to communicate.

Are you by chance attempting to store symbolic items, or mixed items into a matrix? If so, then that is the reason it is not working. A home matrix only stores a single numeric type (real/complex) and can't contained embedded lists, formulas, etc. This is exactly how it was in the 48 until you put in support for symbolic matrices by installing erable or similar. The 49 and on had that built in.

The CAS however supports symbolic matrices just fine right now. You will however lose the strict typing that a home variable gets you as a feature.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
12-30-2014, 07:10 AM
Yup, I do get upset.
Unfortunately I was raised and practiced a concept known as...
"Pride in Workmanship".
To try and excuse a bad product by pointing to other bad or worse products is,
well, I don't understand it. Never had a HP-48.
We'll get around to fixing it when we feel like it.
If I'd made a mistake and something wasn't right, I wouldn't sleep until it was taken care of. I would spent plenty of "off the clock" time doing just that on those rare occasions.

I extensively used and programmed the HP-41 for many years. (Land Surveying, retired)
Yes, it's not as sophisticated an instrument.
But I don't recall having any glaring problems like the Prime.

I think the reason that there hasn't been a proper book produced on programming the Prime and that there is such a paucity of source code after a year is that there are only a small handful of people actually doing any programming. Too bad.
Thank God the firmware is upgradable and hopefully some day all the bugs will get fixed. Just hope it's sooner than later. There are so many good features on the Prime that if they just worked and worked intuitively then we would have a really useful tool.

(notice? no curse words!)
01-03-2015, 09:07 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2015 09:12 PM by danielmewes.)
Quote:(notice? no curse words!)
You must be pretty good at Taboo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taboo_%28game%29 ;-)

I don't understand why you think that these are bugs, let alone major bugs. Having a calculator give you a wrong result is a major bug for me, or if it crashes that's a major bug.

The first thing you're mentioning is a missing feature in the UI it turns out (no multi selection in the list editor). I agree that would be nice to have. Though to be fair there are 1,000s of other things that are "nice to have" in *any* UI, no matter how mature the product.

The other thing (assuming Tim's explanation is correct) is simply an aspect of how the type system of the Prime is defined. Very clearly not a bug. It's not a bug of Java that you cannot store a string in an integer variable.

(I personally am amazed that I can do copy&paste from the Virtual Calculator in the first place by the way. This is absolutley *not* something I would expect from an emulator, and it's seriously cool.)
01-03-2015, 09:57 PM
(01-03-2015 09:07 PM)danielmewes Wrote:  (I personally am amazed that I can do copy&paste from the Virtual Calculator in the first place by the way. This is absolutley *not* something I would expect from an emulator, and it's seriously cool.)

It's because it's a simulator, not an actual [hardware] emulator running the OS' ARM code Smile
So they were able to embed some cool features like that using Windows' API etc.

TI-Planet.org co-administrator

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)