MKSA not working as per user guide
01-05-2015, 11:43 AM
MKSA not working as per user guide
Hi

I am trying to use units and according to user guide the following should happen

MKSA(8.175_cm/s) returns .08175_m*s–1

But what i get is MKSA(8.175_cm/s) returns 0.08175_m/s

Any ideas why it does not sjow correctlu

Thanks in advance
Bill
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2015, 12:35 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2015 12:44 PM by Snorre.)
RE: MKSA not working as per user guide
Hello,

It seems to be just a typo in the manual, fuzzy in several aspects:
1) It should be 0.08175_m*s^-1.
2) When entering in algebraic mode (as the manual suggests) you've to put composite units in parentheses: 8.175_(cm/s). In textbook entry this is auto-done for you.
3) MKSA puts units with negative exponents to the denominator, so 1_(s^-1) becomes 1_(1/s). Maybe it behaved differently in some former firmware version.

Luckily the Prime does it right.
Don't take the manual too literally.
01-06-2015, 09:09 PM
Two things are at play here. First, the command did earlier return s^-1 instead of /s in a 2d formatted way. Secondly, when we switched the document source to a different format there were some things like this that were missed.

I've put in the note so hopefully the next manual revision will correct it. Thanks!

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
01-06-2015, 10:07 PM
(01-06-2015 09:09 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Two things are at play here. First, the command did earlier return s^-1 instead of /s in a 2d formatted way. Secondly, when we switched the document source to a different format there were some things like this that were missed.

I've put in the note so hopefully the next manual revision will correct it. Thanks!

Hi Tim and Snorre

Thanks for the answers. Both m/s and m.s-1 and correct in terms of being the same thing. I have looked at the SI Brochure preparrd by BIPM and this shows speed as m/s so what is shown by tje calculayor is correct notation.

For reference the SI Brochure can be found at,

http://www.bipm.org/en/measurement-units/

Regards
Bill
01-09-2015, 06:43 AM
hello

(01-05-2015 11:43 AM)bcarey Wrote:  according to manual: MKSA(8.175_cm/s) returns .08175_m*s–1

It might be that the -1 was supposed to be a superscript and that it did not print correctly in the manual.

Cyrille

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)