New to HP71B - stopping program
01-10-2015, 11:02 AM
New to HP71B - stopping program
Hi,

Bought a HP-71 that I explore right now. I understand the Basic language. However I need assistance in stopping the program from running during execution. Obviously 'Attn' does this, but I want to 'kill' the program from running completely - get rid of the 'Susp' indicator.

Anyone?

Kind regards,
Matti, Sweden
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2015, 11:15 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2015 11:20 AM by Gerson W. Barbosa.)
RE: New to HP71B - stopping program
Just type STOP then press the END LINE key.
Enjoy your new HP-71B!

Regards,

Gerson.
01-10-2015, 12:43 PM
Gerson, thanks for a fast reply! Oh yes, I am enjoying it even more now : -)

Cheers,
Matti
01-10-2015, 01:57 PM
(01-10-2015 11:15 AM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  Just type STOP then press the END LINE key.
Gerson.

You can also type END END-LINE (its always nice, though rare, to find a shorter solution than Gerson Smile ), and maybe even EDIT, END-LINE (which changes current working file). Also, keep in mind that all variables used in the program you are running remain defined as you left them until you PURGE VAR (or PURGE ALL), which can lead to confusion in your next program which may re-use the same VARs (things like I, J in FOR...NEXT loops, etc.).

Look here to download a copy of Joe Horn's awesome book on the 71B. Follw the thread to the end to get the latest copy as there are several versions aong the way.

The HP-71B is awesome, but be sure to get a PIL-Box from Jean Francois Garnier to make your 71B complete.

--Bob Prosperi
01-10-2015, 05:37 PM
(01-10-2015 01:57 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  You can also type END END-LINE (its always nice, though rare, to find a shorter solution than Gerson Smile ), and maybe even EDIT, END-LINE (which changes current working file).

Thanks, Bob! I think I'll use END END-LINE from now on, even though the finger travel is a bit longer -- about +36% or +10%, depending on whether you're using only one finger of both thumbs to type Smile

(01-10-2015 01:57 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  The HP-71B is awesome, but be sure to get a PIL-Box from Jean Francois Garnier to make your 71B complete.

I would also recommend this module, but it appears they're hard to find nowadays:

[Image: MATH_ROM_zpsac55c285.png]

I have one 9114B unit and a dozen proper floppy discs, but unfortunately my USB floppy drive cannot be formatted to 720KB even in WinXP, so I don't have a way to exchange files between my notebook and the HP-71B.

Regards,

Gerson.
01-10-2015, 05:51 PM
(01-10-2015 05:37 PM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  I have one 9114B unit and a dozen proper floppy discs, but unfortunately my USB floppy drive cannot be formatted to 720KB even in WinXP, so I don't have a way to exchange files between my notebook and the HP-71B.

Simply formatting a floppy to 720k won't do the trick. In order to read 9114 formatted floppies you'll need a vintage PC with a suitable floppy disk controller. Or a PIL-Box, which works with the Portable PLUS as well.
01-10-2015, 06:07 PM
(01-10-2015 05:51 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 05:37 PM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  I have one 9114B unit and a dozen proper floppy discs, but unfortunately my USB floppy drive cannot be formatted to 720KB even in WinXP, so I don't have a way to exchange files between my notebook and the HP-71B.

Simply formatting a floppy to 720k won't do the trick. In order to read 9114 formatted floppies you'll need a vintage PC with a suitable floppy disk controller. Or a PIL-Box, which works with the Portable PLUS as well.

Thanks! I think the PIL-Box is the way to go then.
01-10-2015, 09:45 PM
(01-10-2015 06:07 PM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  Thanks! I think the PIL-Box is the way to go then.

You can then even get hold of the Math ROM if you have enough RAM:
http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/...i?read=908

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
http://www.mvcsys.de
http://wp34s.sf.net
http://mvcsys.de/doc/basic-compare.html
01-11-2015, 03:05 AM
(01-10-2015 05:37 PM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  Thanks, Bob! I think I'll use END END-LINE from now on, even though the finger travel is a bit longer -- about +36% or +10%, depending on whether you're using only one finger of both thumbs to type Smile

I highly suggest making key assignments for END and ALL (since they are both used so much) and leaving your '71 permanently in USER mode. There are many otherwise unused keys (e.g. I never use AUTO), perfect for key assignments. Also, please note that if your SUSP is nested several layers deep, you don't need to END a bunch of times; you can just END ALL.

Enjoy your HP-71!

<0|ΙΈ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)