Pioneer display suddenly wonky
01-12-2015, 05:33 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2015 05:35 PM by Bill Platt.)
Pioneer display suddenly wonky
Has anyone had this happen?

I was using my 32sii as usual, all fine, and then went to do another calculation and got this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mipnc3t4of203x...4.JPG?dl=0
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2015, 06:01 PM
RE: Pioneer display suddenly wonky
Nasty! What have you done to try to reset it? Remove the battery and short the contacts is what I would recommend as a the first thins to do. If that doens't fix it what happens if you press down just under the display window?

-katie

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-12-2015, 08:14 PM
It looks like you have lost several scan lines. This looks pretty much like a contact problem between the LCD and the main board.

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
http://www.mvcsys.de
http://wp34s.sf.net
http://mvcsys.de/doc/basic-compare.html
01-13-2015, 02:48 AM
(01-12-2015 08:14 PM)Marcus von Cube Wrote:  It looks like you have lost several scan lines. This looks pretty much like a contact problem between the LCD and the main board.

It does look that way, but Bill made it sound like it happened mid-use, like it was on his desk and hadn't been moved between calculations. So I thought a power cycle would be a good place to start.

Bill, let us know the status of this......

-katie

01-13-2015, 03:50 AM
That was interesting, I started with Katie's suggestion--and I got the happy "Memory Clear" announcement. And then for some reason I took the batteries out to see if it wasn't a lark, put them back in, and it was back to silliness again but a different pattern. So I took them out again, and shorted again (I love little swiss army knives-and the contacts are easy to short with the nail file) and it came alive. Still alive now.
01-13-2015, 04:22 AM
(01-13-2015 03:50 AM)Bill Platt Wrote:  That was interesting, I started with Katie's suggestion--and I got the happy "Memory Clear" announcement. And then for some reason I took the batteries out to see if it wasn't a lark, put them back in, and it was back to silliness again but a different pattern. So I took them out again, and shorted again (I love little swiss army knives-and the contacts are easy to short with the nail file) and it came alive. Still alive now.

Yeah! Score another victory for the good old "re-boot" method of debugging/repair.

-katie

01-13-2015, 05:37 AM
The dreaded ESD strikes again???
01-13-2015, 08:38 AM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2015 08:38 AM by ElectroDuende.)
(01-13-2015 03:50 AM)Bill Platt Wrote:  That was interesting, I started with Katie's suggestion--and I got the happy "Memory Clear" announcement. And then for some reason I took the batteries out to see if it wasn't a lark, put them back in, and it was back to silliness again but a different pattern. So I took them out again, and shorted again (I love little swiss army knives-and the contacts are easy to short with the nail file) and it came alive. Still alive now.
How old are the batteries? I've sometimes seen strange behaviours when battery level is low in several HP (and non HP) machines.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)