Hp 55 and compucorp 326/392
01-24-2015, 08:31 AM
Hp 55 and compucorp 326/392
I am restoring a Monroe compucorp 326 and thanks to Katie I have a 392 tape drive for it along with carry case and power supply.

While searching the web I found the following HP 55 report from 1975.

Interesting in as much as the reduced programming set (49 lines) is an advantage as a teaching system.

http://docs.lib.purdue.edu/cgi/viewconte...ext=cstech

Check it out.

Geoff

Yes and working on the book Walter :-)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-24-2015, 09:05 AM
RE: Hp 55 and compucorp 326/392
Nice read, thanks for sharing. It always buffles me how primitive layouts could be just 40 years ago. Nowadays, this won't be accepted even for a flyer anymore.

And - when working on the book, Geoff, don't you forget the commas etc. Remember grandpa! Wink

d:-)
01-24-2015, 02:32 PM
Interesting find, but other than the reference at the bottom of the document it has nothing to do with the Compucorp/Monroe 326. You must have really been digging for stuff!

Programming simple RPN machines is indeed a lot like assembler. Many years ago when I taught a beginning computer course, I wrote a 6 or 7 instruction assembly language simulator in BASIC so that I give low-level programming assignments to my students without them having to learn the operating system/editor/assembler in RSTS/E. But I probably should have made them all go out and buy HP-10C's (they had just come out) to do them on. Not only would they have been able to do the "homework" at home, they'd now have a collector's item worth hundreds of dollars.

-katie

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-24-2015, 05:53 PM
The HP-11C got a lot more power for the buck. Though its MRR would have been lower.

d:-)
01-24-2015, 08:04 PM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2015 10:43 PM by Geoff Quickfall.)
Katie

You are right Katie, I have being digging deep for the 326 info, and that is how I found out about the 55 article.

The gc-1000 is powered up but will not sense the www signal using the wall wart. It does with the AC cord but with the heat problems. Could be the wall wart is noisy. So back to thinking about the power regulator swap.

W,al,ter

Commas, delimiters, ex!clamation mar!ks, pun:ctuation ... --- ... ... --- ...

:-)

Also the HP 11c is much more powerful THAN the 10c so it defeats the purpose of elegant coding based on reduced memory limitations. I remember the tricks one could do on my new 25 while sitting in comp 101 in 1975 trying to understand ALGOL W.

01-24-2015, 09:21 PM
Wishing the book all the best
Geoff,

(01-24-2015 08:04 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  Also the HP 11 is much more powerful then the 10 ...

I think we can agree that spelling is none of your top strengths. Confused We know punctuation isn't either. Thus, I sincerely hope you know somebody who will proofread your book before it goes in print. For that job, I did expect a native writer should be better than somebody else. Though observations on this marketplace are irritating. Confused Anyway, good luck and many happy landings!

[frown] d:-I
01-24-2015, 10:42 PM
Walter!!

1- I need a WALTER-B Ver. 1.0 algorithm for my iPad auto correct.
2- I need to proof read my postings when I use the iPad!
3- my typing and proof reading skills for the book are orders of magnitude greater then quick finger poking on the forum! Also, my wife proofs my grammar and writing at home constantly, especially with respect to non-casual correspondence.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)