is there any limit to Project File size?
03-03-2015, 03:44 PM
is there any known limit to program Project File size?
Just passed 256k and had a new symptom.
Just curious.

Prime would reset upon trying to open the file.
Connecting to Connectivity Kit would cause an endless cycle of resets.

Was able to Restore yesterdays Project File etc

Only thing I had done was include several single Subroutine Program Files
into the Main Project file. I did this via the Editor in the Connectivity Kit
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2015, 04:20 PM
RE: is there any limit to Project File size?
I don't think so...

I know there are plenty of people that have larger source files. Send me the file if you'd like me to take a look at it though.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
03-03-2015, 09:30 PM
is there any known limit to program Project File size?
Just passed 256k and had a new symptom.
Just curious.

Prime would reset upon trying to open the file.
Connecting to Connectivity Kit would cause an endless cycle of resets.

Was able to Restore yesterdays Project File etc

Only thing I had done was include several single Subroutine Program Files
into the Main Project file. I did this via the Editor in the Connectivity Kit
03-03-2015, 10:36 PM
Tim Wessman answered your earlier identical (I think) post below.

--Bob Prosperi
03-04-2015, 09:11 AM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2015 09:13 AM by bobkrohn.)
(03-03-2015 10:36 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Tim Wessman answered your earlier identical (I think) post below.

I didn't see a link in your post.
But I think the question was if a large project file could cause problems.
This time I was asking if there was any size limit.

I spotted something that may have been the problem??

After including a separate program subroutine file into my larger project file,
I neglected to delete one of the separate program subroutine files.
There were about ten of them so just missed it.
The result was two Functions with the exact same name on the machine.
Could that have caused the problem?
Or does simple "shadowing" just occur?
03-04-2015, 11:24 AM
Bobkrohn:
Tim asked you to send your program to him. (Your first posting with almost the same subject).
Once again, we are not able to analyze your program. If you would get help, it's your turn to supply all needed data/programs.
03-04-2015, 02:28 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2015 02:28 PM by Katie Wasserman.)
(moderator: I merged these two threads)

-katie

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2015, 01:28 AM
(03-04-2015 11:24 AM)Thomas_Sch Wrote:  Bobkrohn:
Tim asked you to send your program to him. (Your first posting with almost the same subject).
Once again, we are not able to analyze your program. If you would get help, it's your turn to supply all needed data/programs.

I'm puzzled.
I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.
I did a search on all my posts and saw nothing about size limits on Project Files.
I once asked if large Project Files would cause an extended compile time.
That was an issue I was and am still experiencing.
I see no link to "another duplicate Thread" on this Forum in posts to this Thread.
(it's easy to do here, it's the little globe and chain icon top right of Text Entry Box)

The last major problem I had were crashes when writing to Notes files.
I posted the Source Code to this Forum.
Link to the Thread where Source Code for "MyNote" was posted
Where you too can see it.

I received an acknowledgement from Tim Wasserman.
I had also sent a copy to HP Tech Support via email per a phone conversation.
Tim Wasserman said he might receive it through his work pipeline from Tech Support.
I have heard nothing back as of today but was made aware that it might be a while.

I am somewhat reticent about sending out my full 3500 (compressed) line program as I am contemplating a possible commercial use for the program.
I don't even know right now if it's even possible to compile it into a self contained onboard App or otherwise protect/obfuscate the Source code.
Maybe it will just be Open Shareware. I don't know.
I'm still feeling my way around the Prime.

My feeling is that if a person can perform some legitimate, intuitive, reasonable programming instructions and it causes a crash, or even more so causes memory corruption rendering the machine unfit for use, then there is inadequate error checking/trapping in the underlying operating system.
Cars get recalled all the time for design flaws which I would say is a similar situation.
Fortunately we can get Firmware Updates but the problems need to be identified first.
That's what I'm doing.
03-05-2015, 01:55 AM
(03-05-2015 01:28 AM)bobkrohn Wrote:  

I'm puzzled.
I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.
I did a search on all my posts and saw nothing about size limits on Project Files.
I once asked if large Project Files would cause an extended compile time.
That was an issue I was and am still experiencing.
I see no link to "another duplicate Thread" on this Forum in posts to this Thread.
(it's easy to do here, it's the little globe and chain icon top right of Text Entry Box)

The last major problem I had were crashes when writing to Notes files.
I posted the Source Code to this Forum.
Link to the Thread where Source Code for "MyNote" was posted
Where you too can see it.

I received an acknowledgement from Tim Wasserman.
I had also sent a copy to HP Tech Support via email per a phone conversation.
Tim Wasserman said he might receive it through his work pipeline from Tech Support.
I have heard nothing back as of today but was made aware that it might be a while.

I am somewhat reticent about sending out my full 3500 (compressed) line program as I am contemplating a possible commercial use for the program.
I don't even know right now if it's even possible to compile it into a self contained onboard App or otherwise protect/obfuscate the Source code.
Maybe it will just be Open Shareware. I don't know.
I'm still feeling my way around the Prime.

My feeling is that if a person can perform some legitimate, intuitive, reasonable programming instructions and it causes a crash, or even more so causes memory corruption rendering the machine unfit for use, then there is inadequate error checking/trapping in the underlying operating system.
Cars get recalled all the time for design flaws which I would say is a similar situation.
Fortunately we can get Firmware Updates but the problems need to be identified first.
That's what I'm doing.

It appears (since we only see what we see, not nesc what you did) you posted your question about Project File Size limit twice; initially, it was posted yesterday morning. A short time later, Tim replied to your post.

A few hours later, there was a second post, from you, with the identical question. I replied saying that Tim had replied below. You replied to my reply saying you didn't see a link, etc. Thomas then posted clarifying that your question was posted twice.

Seeing the confusion, today Katie merged the duplicate threads so you could see all the replies and re-replies. So when you searched you no longer see another thread.

But look at the messages above this one and you will see your question was posted at both 10:44AM and 4:30PM.

HTH

--Bob Prosperi
03-05-2015, 07:40 AM
(03-05-2015 01:28 AM)bobkrohn Wrote:  
I'm puzzled. I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.
tl;dr;

please see http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-324...l#pid29340
Tim Wessmann (don't mix up with Katie Wasserman, she merged your double posts to one thread) asked:
"Posted by Tim Wessman - 03.03.15 17:20
I don't think so...
I know there are plenty of people that have larger source files. Send me the file if you'd like me to take a look at it though. "
03-05-2015, 07:46 AM
Oh I thought you were saying I'd made a duplicate to another Thread maybe weeks before.
Here's what may have caused a double entry here.
Because I think it just now happened again for me.

In the web browser, if you create a post by clicking on "Post Reply", it does it. Fine.

If you then keep clicking the "Previous Page" in the Web Browser,
it says something like "would you like to Reload the Form".
Which I ignore because all I want to do is get back to the Thread I was looking at.
Seemed like that shouldn't be a problem.

Could that have caused it? I don't want to experiment.
That's my theory for now.

I'm using Safari on a PC.
03-05-2015, 08:01 AM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2015 10:47 AM by Thomas_Sch.)
back to subject:
please contact Tim, if you would get help, and supply your big program (and data) to him. Nobody might be able to assist without enough input.
Assumptions concerning an error should be very specific so that the cause (if there is any) can be found. There is always the possibility that the cause results from the own program.
03-05-2015, 02:20 PM
(03-05-2015 07:46 AM)bobkrohn Wrote:  In the web browser, if you create a post by clicking on "Post Reply", it does it. Fine.

If you then keep clicking the "Previous Page" in the Web Browser,
it says something like "would you like to Reload the Form".
Which I ignore because all I want to do is get back to the Thread I was looking at.
Seemed like that shouldn't be a problem.

Yes, this is indirectly the cause. After you complete a post and the system brings you back to the same page, now updated with your addition, do not use the browser Back/Previous controls as they will put you back on the page that saves the post, thus saving it again.

Easiest thing to do: once you are on the updated page, in the grey box at the bottom click on the "Return to Top" link and it will move you to the top of the current page without having to scroll all the way up. From there you can click on "HP Prime" to go back to the Prime Forum index, or anywhere else you like.

HTH

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)