Trouble updating Prime firmware
05-12-2016, 01:03 PM
RE: Trouble updating Prime firmware
(04-30-2016 01:06 AM)informach Wrote:  Hi!:

HP Prime Graphing Calculators - Unable, to Update Firmware, on Some, USB 3.0 Ports.

Solution, from ... http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04674521

Kind, Regards.
informach.

What is the Prime 1.2 firmware update they're talking about? Is that the 2016 update?

Tom L

Tom L
Cui bono?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2016, 01:33 PM
Hi!, toml_12953:

This method, for communicate, across, the USB port, is available, for any version, of firmware.

Kind Regards.
informach.
05-12-2016, 02:30 PM
(05-12-2016 01:03 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  What is the Prime 1.2 firmware update they're talking about? Is that the 2016 update?

No, that is the 8151 from last year. That specific problem should be resolved now. It was all about not recognizing when the device switched from the normal operation mode, to the "updater" mode.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
05-12-2016, 02:36 PM
(05-12-2016 12:36 PM)mark4flies Wrote:  I also checked preferences and discovered an unselected option to use the "new update method." Never heard about it!

Glad it is back up and working for you.

What was actually happening is you did use the same update method. The "new" update method only will work when you are on revision 10077 already, and into the future. This time though, the usb system didn't do something funny on the windows side the calculator wasn't expecting and so it finished properly.

The new method doesn't require administrator mode to run and basically pushed the files directly to the device first, validates them, and then on reboot performs the update. Unfortunately, there was no way to start using that until you are >10000 - kind of a chicken/egg thing.

TW

05-13-2016, 05:14 AM
Hello,

The "new update method" would NOT be the reason for the success.
You have never heard of it... because it's new :-).
This new method avoid the use of the 'special update' software which requires administrative privileges by using application level USB messages to send the large update files, and then reboots in bootloader mode to update the calculator locally.
However, this method will only work with a calculator that has the new firmware and which is running correctly. Any future FW update will be able to use it (this is NOT a future looking statement BTW and does not mean that such FW will be released, just that if it was released, it could use that method).

Anyhow, I am glad that you were able to complete your update and that it is now working.

I will investigate this error 14.

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
05-13-2016, 12:56 PM
(05-13-2016 05:14 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  BTW and does not mean that such FW will be released, just that if it was released, it could use that method).
Cyrille

Talk about CYA! Smile

Tom L

Tom L
Cui bono?
05-13-2016, 03:44 PM
(05-13-2016 05:14 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  I will investigate this error 14.

Error 14 was some unrecognized commands being seen with the SCSI passthrough. Later versions of the bootloader code (16, 17) work better and handle those.

TW

05-13-2016, 05:25 PM
(04-30-2016 12:50 PM)dalupus Wrote:  
(04-30-2016 09:23 AM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  To get around the USB3 problem, would connecting a USB2 hub into a USB3 port fix the problem??
Or would the USB3 still get in the way?

That is what I said I did (sorry if it wasn't clear). I connected my usb2 hub into the usb3 port on my computer and it just worked.

Apologies...you were clear, but i had missed reading your earlier post.

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-15-2016, 02:41 PM
I have been remiss in updating my Prime firmware. I fear I am so far out of date that I must update to an intermediate firmware somewhere before the current.

The updater on my Windows 7 usb2 sees my device and backs-up successfully but stalls in the "HP Prime recovery mode V13" when trying to update to 20160414. None of the above reset/symb gyrations seem to help.

I'm at 20130813 v5105 and the current Connectivity Kit 2016 4 14 Rev 10077

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

bobh
05-15-2016, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 05-15-2016 03:05 PM by informach.)
Hi!, bobh:

You needed, uninstall all (Firmware, Virtual Calculator and Connectivity kit) of your previous versions and install only the ultimate 10077.
Have a Power Tool call ... Advanced Unisntaller PRO (free download), from ... http://www.advanceduninstaller.com

You can downoad, the version 10077, from ... http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Calculators...-p/5593925

Kind Regards.
informach.
05-21-2016, 08:40 AM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2016 08:41 AM by Stevetuc.)
(05-12-2016 02:30 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  
(05-12-2016 01:03 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  What is the Prime 1.2 firmware update they're talking about? Is that the 2016 update?

No, that is the 8151 from last year. That specific problem should be resolved now. It was all about not recognizing when the device switched from the normal operation mode, to the "updater" mode.

Tim,

You mention it fixes that specific problem, but it seems not to fix all , as I still had to use a usb2 hub to get the upgrade to 10077 from 8151 to work on my usb3 equipped macbook pro ( running win7 via boot camp)

Does the new update method address outstanding issues with usb3?

/Steve
05-21-2016, 01:16 PM
Hi!, Stevetuc:

Apparently he should have, in the new version (10077), been solved. But it may be, that in some software, still requires, the conversion of ports.

See, this link ... http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04674521

Kind Regards.
informach.
05-23-2016, 02:08 PM
(05-21-2016 08:40 AM)Stevetuc Wrote:  Does the new update method address outstanding issues with usb3?

It should. The update is equivalent to "pushing a file" to the device and doesn't need low level writing capability, or special drivers. If the connkit works, then it should work as well.

TW

05-28-2016, 03:19 PM
No luck. I tried all the steps, reinstalled all the software. Still hangs up at "HP Prime recovery mode V13" The app at "Waiting for connection"
Thanks for the help but no need to answer further. I am taking the HP Prime out to the garage and smash it with a hammer.
05-28-2016, 03:38 PM
Hi!, bobh:

Please, don't destroy, your jewell !.
Try, uninstall from your PC, all files of HP PRIME Firmware, what you installed. For this, you can free download and install ... Advanced Uninstaller PRO, from ... http://www.advanceduninstaller.com

Clear all cookies, temporary files, register problems, erase HP PRIME installed, etc ...
Now, charge of your HP PRIME, the battery to 100% of capacity of charge.

Download and install, in your PC, the ultimate software version (10077), the firmware, Connectivity Kit and Virtual Calculator.
Open the Conecctivity kit and connect your HP PRIME, with connector cable in any USB port.
The connectivity kiy must be recognize your HP PRIME, in USB.
Then find when say Actualize.

Good luck !.

Kind Regards.
informach.
05-31-2016, 03:16 PM
(05-28-2016 03:19 PM)bobh Wrote:  No luck. I tried all the steps, reinstalled all the software. Still hangs up at "HP Prime recovery mode V13" The app at "Waiting for connection"
Thanks for the help but no need to answer further. I am taking the HP Prime out to the garage and smash it with a hammer.

If you are connected on a USB 3 port, and you haven't updated to the previous version then it probably is not recognizing the switch from "normal" operation to the update mode. Here's a message I wrote a while back:

Quote:Basically, the problem is most likely when the calculator "switches" from the normal opearting mode into the "updater" mode. Recently with some USB ports, windows stopped reloading the usb driver into the "updater" mode on some systems.

A simple thing you can attempt is this:

1. Try your update mode.

2. once it is in the "updtate" screen - go ahead and unplug the calculator.

3. Close the connkit leaving the calculator in the update mode.

4. Now connect the calcualtor to a DIFFERENT usb port.

5. Windows will probably pop up a driver installion thing, or detect the device, or something simlar. That is what you want.

6. Once everything has stopped, run the connectivity kit again. After a few seocnds, it will ask if you want to update. Click yes and hopefully it will run nicely this time.

If you continue to have problems, try following this support document. If you continue having an issue, post back here and we'll try to work it out.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-P...c04674521/

TW

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)