WP 31S
03-06-2015, 12:57 AM
WP 31S
Anyone willing to make a modified WP 31S for me?

What I would like is the same layout except the LOG and 10^x key is on the top level (not accessed with the shift key) with the rest of the math keys. This mean the STO RCL keys need to get stuffed somewhere. The x><y, +/-, and E keys are great where they are. Basically I don't use functions and just use it as a calculator so why not have all the math keys on the first level.

The closer the overall layout stays to the current keypad the better because then only a couple different stickers would have to be made.

I know your time is valuable, so let me know if you can do this. I'd either compensate you or donate to the WP project so more worthy work can be done. I would do before any work is started.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2015, 03:48 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2015 03:50 AM by Mark Hardman.)
RE: WP 31S
(03-06-2015 12:57 AM)rpn fan Wrote:  Anyone willing to make a modified WP 31S for me?

What I would like is the same layout except the LOG and 10^x key is on the top level (not accessed with the shift key) with the rest of the math keys. This mean the STO RCL keys need to get stuffed somewhere. The x><y, +/-, and E keys are great where they are. Basically I don't use functions and just use it as a calculator so why not have all the math keys on the first level.

The closer the overall layout stays to the current keypad the better because then only a couple different stickers would have to be made.

I know your time is valuable, so let me know if you can do this. I'd either compensate you or donate to the WP project so more worthy work can be done. I would do before any work is started.

You can purchase a complete WP 31S for $50 from Eric Rechlin's site.

WP 31S Scientific Calculator

[Image: 31s-angle-small.jpg]

As part of the purchase, a $5 donation is given to the WP 31S team.

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
03-06-2015, 09:17 PM
(03-06-2015 03:48 AM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  
(03-06-2015 12:57 AM)rpn fan Wrote:  Anyone willing to make a modified WP 31S for me?

Hi Mark,

Yes, I am aware. I was just hopeful that someone might be willing to do this. It would be worth their time. And if there is no progress on this inquiry, then I would buy a WP 31S anyway.
03-08-2015, 03:45 AM

This sounds like a personal 31S just for you, doesn't it? Please be patient, personal layouts will come with the 43S. Until then, please choose from the offers available. TIA

d:-)
03-08-2015, 08:48 AM
(03-08-2015 03:45 AM)walter b Wrote:  This sounds like a personal 31S just for you, doesn't it? Please be patient, personal layouts will come with the 43S. Until then, please choose from the offers available. TIA

... or do it yourself! All resources are freely available at no cost.

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
http://www.mvcsys.de
http://wp34s.sf.net
http://mvcsys.de/doc/basic-compare.html
03-08-2015, 09:03 AM

The placement of the keys on the keyboard is relatively easy to change, because it is table driven. You could move the keys around and compile your own calculator yourself. But the custom stickers would be prohibitively expensive. The only reason they are inexpensive to members of this forum is because they are NOT custom and get manufactured in BULK!
03-08-2015, 09:23 AM
(03-08-2015 08:48 AM)Marcus von Cube Wrote:  
(03-08-2015 03:45 AM)walter b Wrote:  This sounds like a personal 31S just for you, doesn't it? Please be patient, personal layouts will come with the 43S. Until then, please choose from the offers available. TIA

... or do it yourself! All resources are freely available at no cost.

You find them here: http://sourceforge.net/p/wp34s/code/HEAD...hes/wp31s/

d:-)
03-09-2015, 10:49 PM
(03-08-2015 09:03 AM)BarryMead Wrote:  

The placement of the keys on the keyboard is relatively easy to change, because it is table driven. You could move the keys around and compile your own calculator yourself. But the custom stickers would be prohibitively expensive. The only reason they are inexpensive to members of this forum is because they are NOT custom and get manufactured in BULK!

There's nothing to stop the OP cutting-up the stickers and moving them around to reflect his custom key layout, having re-compiled one to his taste.
03-09-2015, 10:57 PM
What would be super sweet is if someone built a 31S layout generator. An application that let's a user rearrange the keys to one's liking resulting in a BIN file suitable for flashing. One can dream, but it would be neat!

-- Sanjeev Visvanatha
03-09-2015, 11:07 PM

I think there is resistance to creating custom layouts for a few reasons. I have another simpler layout for the 31S that I have held onto for about a year. I've resisted moving forward because it does clutter the code (#ifdef), unless you want to branch it, which is also a headache.

The layout is a compromise, but that is what you get working collaboratively. In the end, it's a high quality product with many contributors investing their precious time for the community. I speak for myself, but I think collective efforts are better served with bug fixes and UI tweaks (e.g. Bit's work). My $0.02 CAD.

-- Sanjeev Visvanatha
03-10-2015, 12:08 AM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2015 12:10 AM by BarryMead.)
(03-09-2015 10:49 PM)BruceH Wrote:  There's nothing to stop the OP cutting-up the stickers and moving them around to reflect his custom key layout, having re-compiled one to his taste.
If he only moved the primary key functions around this would be true, but he wants some of the "f" shifted (yellow) functions to now be primary (white) functions and visa versa. This would require custom stickers unfortunately.
03-10-2015, 02:51 AM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2015 02:53 AM by rpn fan.)
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your responses! And please don't take this request as dismissive of the good work done on both WP calculators - or, the WP to come.

Here's the situation as it stands for me. I don't have a cable, I suck at soldering (for the USB option), I don't program, and even if you don't need to this stuff gets pretty involved for a non-tech computer person. And all the legwork has been done by various people, including stickers for the two "set" WPA versions, so...

I understand this costs (time and otherwise), but it would entail a worthy donation to the project (or person) for more important work.

I would even pay for a run of stickers. It wouldn't be the first time I did something that didn't make financial sense. If I were to just cut up stickers such as move the shifted to the top level etc. I could even live with it because that was initially what I was going to do.
03-10-2015, 02:59 AM
(03-09-2015 11:07 PM)Sanjeev Visvanatha Wrote:  

I think there is resistance to creating custom layouts for a few reasons. I have another simpler layout for the 31S that I have held onto for about a year. I've resisted moving forward because it does clutter the code (#ifdef), unless you want to branch it, which is also a headache.

The layout is a compromise, but that is what you get working collaboratively. In the end, it's a high quality product with many contributors investing their precious time for the community. I speak for myself, but I think collective efforts are better served with bug fixes and UI tweaks (e.g. Bit's work). My $0.02 CAD.

I think the WPA 31S is pretty simple as it is, I just want the math keys all non-shifted. I'm interested in what your simpler layout is.
03-10-2015, 03:02 AM
(03-06-2015 03:48 AM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  

A much bigger donation would be made for the trouble entailed.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)