MAKEMAT in RPN Mode
03-27-2015, 06:38 PM
MAKEMAT in RPN Mode
How do you store a matrix in a variable other than M1 - M9? The manual says it can be done but when I do this:

ENTER
ENTER
MAKEMAT(2)
'A'
ENTER
STO

I get an error. I also tried storing the matrix in M1 (which worked) then storing M1 in A which didn't work.

Tom L

Tom L
Cui bono?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-28-2015, 12:57 AM
RE: MAKEMAT in RPN Mode
Looks like a mistake in the manual.

Variable 'A' is one of the built in Reals and cannot hold an object of a different type. Try creating user variable A1 and then following the steps in the manual substituting 'A1' for 'A'.

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
03-28-2015, 02:46 AM
(03-28-2015 12:57 AM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  Looks like a mistake in the manual.

Variable 'A' is one of the built in Reals and cannot hold an object of a different type. Try creating user variable A1 and then following the steps in the manual substituting 'A1' for 'A'.

Yup, that did it. In a program, I can use A as a local variable and it works, too. This business of predefined variable types depending on what mode you're in is sometimes baffling for me.

Thanks for the response!

P.S. If that's not a signature, what is it? Smile

Tom L
Cui bono?
03-28-2015, 07:02 AM
(03-28-2015 02:46 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  Yup, that did it. In a program, I can use A as a local variable and it works, too. This business of predefined variable types depending on what mode you're in is sometimes baffling for me.

As others have pointed out, it is a carryover from the the HP-38G paradigm. A feature that is, supposedly, beneficial to educators as it simplifies use of variables. I can understand the benefit for special object types like matrices, lists and complex numbers. But why tie up the most valuable names by forcing them to be real?

(03-28-2015 02:46 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  P.S. If that's not a signature, what is it? Smile

I know what it is not. It is definitely not a pipe!

Code:

___
(__ `-._                _____
   `-._ `-._          .'     `.
       `-._ `-._     .=========.
           `._ /`-..-          .
              `-._             .
                  `-.._______.'

Ceci n'est pas une signature.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)