I am a new member - hp35s owner
01-10-2014, 10:03 AM
RE: I am a new member - hp35s owner
Merci bien! I didn't associate your post to the 1+2+3+4+5 problem, since you compared two different operating systems and I presumed (!) you kept everything else constant. Obviously you did not Undecided in contradiction to the first basic law of comparison. ... Sometimes it helps a lot if you can rely on laws obeyed.

d#-/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2014, 04:32 PM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2014 04:43 PM by Dirk E..)
(01-09-2014 07:37 PM)Jean-Marc Wrote:  The numbers are rounded up to the nearest 10. The calculator was set to engineering display 0. So as you get to 10 and add 5 it displays 20 then 30 and so on.

Once you know the rule it does make sense. Maybe not a bug but a feature of engineering display 0.

Hi Jean-Marc,

it's definitely a feature of the ENG 0 setting - once you own a 35s, try on this one setting it to Disp - Eng - 0 and do 10 Ent (you'll see 10. E0) 5 + (20. E0). I think Engineering display is based on the Scientific here - showing the same mantissa (1+n valid digits) but limiting the exponent to multiples of 3 and filling in zeros as needed. Try 140 Ent 5 + (display still 100. E0).
As the programmer does his very best to have free42 acting exactly as the physical 42s (plus printing, timer, sensors, saving/loading programs, 25-digit decimal arithmetic or 53 bit binary version on PCs, huge program memory, skins), this is not a bug but original design.
On my 15cLE and some emulations that run original SW (48s, 41c, 33c) I found the same behaviour. Interestingly the 25c (also emulated, quite similiar to the 33c) shows 3+n digits in engineering mode, i.e. ENG 0 (0.00 00) 10 Ent (10.0 00) 5+ (15.0 00). To see the same on the models listed above, we would have to select ENG 2.
Maybe, it changed with the 67 that has one DSP selection for mantissa display length and lets you separately choose from Fix - Sci - Eng.

Cheers, Dirk
07-11-2016, 12:39 AM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2016 12:41 AM by PedroLeiva.)
Talking about HP 35s, I just found in YOUTUBE 18 short Tutorials by Logan West. To find them all, just type in Google: YouTube + HP 35s + Logan West.
Also: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_q...Logan+West
These are short, clear and very instructive; a good complement to the learning modules of the HP web page.
Enjoy. Pedro
07-13-2016, 05:48 PM
Thanks Pedro, I'd planned on making a post about it after I'd finished one or two more videos to sort of round out the group but apparently wasn't sneaky enough Smile

I'd looked for videos as just a quick-start guide for things like the solver and didn't find any. So thought I might as well make my own. They aren't exhaustive by any means (all one-take, all in a row) but very glad you thought they were useful.
07-15-2016, 07:01 PM
[I'd looked for videos as just a quick-start guide for things like the solver and didn't find any. So thought I might as well make my own. They aren't exhaustive by any means (all one-take, all in a row) but very glad you thought they were useful.
[/quote]
I like the videos, thanks for sharing. Pedro

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)