Using the e^(x) key changes to EXP(x) in CAS for me . WHY?
04-01-2015, 02:44 AM
Using the e^(x) key changes to EXP(x) in CAS for me . WHY?
I've noticed that my HP Prime likes to change functions from my preferred form of "e^(power)" to "EXP(power)". I do not know why this happens as it only occurs when my calculator is in CAS mode (regardless of app) and I cannot find a setting to alter this. I've seen youtube videos of others writing this out fine in CAS. Even clicking "Shift" -> "LN" will output as "exp()".

This makes reading functions/equations less pleasing to my eyes .

Help, please?

Ex.1 Should look like: x*e^x
Does look like: x*EXP(x)
Ex.2 sin(e^3)
sin(EXP(3))

--
P.s. Sorry if this is a simple issue to fix. I am a new member and had trouble finding a thread on this.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2015, 03:28 AM
RE: Using the e^(x) key changes to EXP(x) in CAS for me . WHY?
(04-01-2015 02:44 AM)trigamist Wrote:  I've noticed that my HP Prime likes to change functions from my preferred form of "e^(power)" to "EXP(power)". I do not know why this happens as it only occurs when my calculator is in CAS mode (regardless of app) and I cannot find a setting to alter this. I've seen youtube videos of others writing this out fine in CAS. Even clicking "Shift" -> "LN" will output as "exp()".

This makes reading functions/equations less pleasing to my eyes .

Help, please?

Ex.1 Should look like: x*e^x
Does look like: x*EXP(x)
Ex.2 sin(e^3)
sin(EXP(3))

--
P.s. Sorry if this is a simple issue to fix. I am a new member and had trouble finding a thread on this.

Is your firmware updated? (To find out, press the [Help] key and select the "Tree" menu option, followed by About HP Prime. The most recent firmware is 2014 12 3 (6975). You can get this by simply connecting your calculator to the connectivity kit (software included on the CD that came with the calculator). The conn. kit will update itself, and then you simply plug your calculator in and it will walk you through the rest.

exp(x) is how most CAS represent the exponential function. However, on my own calculator even if I type in exp(x), it is displayed as e^x.

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
04-01-2015, 04:04 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2015 04:11 AM by trigamist.)
RE: Using the e^(x) key changes to EXP(x) in CAS for me . WHY?
Sadly, I can't update it right now Sad The connectivity kit is a .exe file and I have a mac. Even using Wine or Winebottler makes using the program seemingly impossible (at least for me) as, after it updates, it will crash and it won't even recognize that my calculator is connected. I guess I'll just borrows a friend's computer when I get a chance unless I find a program that will work with it. Assuming what you said will fix the "problem", thanks for the help!

2nd question - Is it at all possible to change the asterisks in the calculator to dots, like the TI-Nspire? Ex. 2*4
If not, I would imagine there should maybe be an option to switch between the two in the future. Just an opinion.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)