Mixed-base division, getting a decimal?
04-11-2015, 09:52 PM
Mixed-base division, getting a decimal?
I'm looking for a calculator that can handle mixed-based and bitwise math well. Playing with the emulator, the Prime does a decent job at everything I need, except in the case where I need to divide a pair of mixed-base numbers by each other and get a result that includes the decimal point and anything beyond it.

For example: 7/3 results in 2.33333333333, but #7o/#11b results in #2o. #7d/#3d results in #2d, as well.

This is mostly as expected, but is there a way to see the decimal result of a division when you specify the bases?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2015, 10:24 AM
RE: Mixed-base division, getting a decimal?
(04-11-2015 09:52 PM)izzy84075 Wrote:  ... This is mostly as expected, but is there a way to see the decimal result of a division when you specify the bases?

B→R(#7o)/B→R(#11b) ==> returns real in decimal.

-Dale-
04-12-2015, 07:27 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2015 07:27 PM by izzy84075.)
Figured out a slightly better solution than that...

approx(#7h/#11b)

Still requires going back to the original formula, but this is workable.
04-13-2015, 12:13 PM (This post was last modified: 04-13-2015 12:26 PM by DrD.)
Approx() saves typing two characters overall. However, you asked, "but is there a way to "see" the decimal result of a division when you specify the bases?"

The B→R() function pretty clearly displays the taking of an existing radix to base 10, to "show" both the integer and fraction parts resulting from decimal division. Neither method uses any time, as a practical matter, since both report 0_s with TEVAL(), on the emulator.

For didactic purposes, B→R() may be more informative than approx(). Students may also need to know about fractional parts in ANY radix, which these two methods do not address.

-Dale-

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)