Advice to buy an HP
04-15-2015, 09:25 PM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2015 09:27 PM by Cancuino.)
Advice to buy an HP
Hi all,

I'm new at this forum and want to ask you all for advice. I'm an engineer and own a HP48G+ since 1997, to me it's a great calculator and I use to program it from time to time. I find it sort of slow nowadays that I'm used to use mobile phones and this kind of things, so I'm thinking about buying a new calculator. I don't need it as much as I did with my old HP but I like calculators a lot.

So, here is my question, is a really good idea to buy a new one?, will I notice a big improvement in speed and programming?.

I use to buy the latest thing but I've read not very good things about the prime and I'm thinking on the 50g instead.

I'm looking forward to your comments.

Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-2015, 10:23 PM
RE: Advice to buy an HP
Cancuino;
Since you are well versed in the 48G+ you would be very happy with the 50g. However; since you say you no longer need all they have to offer; you could try the 34s or the 31s. These are repurposed hp30b or 20b units that you can do yourself or buy from Eric Rechlin's site, hpcalc.org. There is a lot of info on both versions here. They are both fast and shirtpocket sized, with the programmable 34 having "everything but the kitchen sink" and the 31 being the lean mean machine. Both are the products of several members' knowledge and hard work. Both are what HP should be marketing.
04-15-2015, 10:36 PM
Thank you Den. I didn't know those models, I'll take a look at the manuals. Can I program with them the same way I did with my 48?, are they much faster than the 48?.

I use to write programs about structures and want to make sure I can do the same with this calculator, that small screen has really surprised me.

Thank you.
04-15-2015, 10:37 PM
You could consider going the emulator way first.
Since you are familiar with smartphones, you can
find several emulators in your smartphone shop.
I'm using the wp34s emulator on an iPhone. Works like a charm.
And for sure, these emulated versions are very fast compared to their originals!

Best regards -Ray
04-15-2015, 11:08 PM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2015 11:19 PM by Jlouis.)
(04-15-2015 09:25 PM)Cancuino Wrote:  Hi all,

I'm new at this forum and want to ask you all for advice. I'm an engineer and own a HP48G+ since 1997, to me it's a great calculator and I use to program it from time to time. I find it sort of slow nowadays that I'm used to use mobile phones and this kind of things, so I'm thinking about buying a new calculator. I don't need it as much as I did with my old HP but I like calculators a lot.

So, here is my question, is a really good idea to buy a new one?, will I notice a big improvement in speed and programming?.

I use to buy the latest thing but I've read not very good things about the prime and I'm thinking on the 50g instead.

Thank you.

As you are familiar with userRPL (programing The 48), used to the size of the 48 and want a faster calculator, the natural choice, IMO, is the 50g.

The 34s has keystroke programing and you may find userRPL more powerfull.

As Ray wrote above, you may consider use an emulator. I use a 34s emulator on a Ipad and it is fantastic, indeed.

Cheers

JL

Edit: Just another opinion, I have the 50g, but I find myself using more and more the 48's (I just have bougkht a 48sx, man, what a pleasure). The design, key feel, bigger enter key, bigger font size, make the 48's a winner, but it's up to you.
04-15-2015, 11:14 PM
I'm thinking about 75$+shipping+customs, maybe it's too expensive compared to a 50g, don't you think?. Is the 34s much better than the 50g?.
04-15-2015, 11:39 PM
(04-15-2015 11:14 PM)Cancuino Wrote:  I'm thinking about 75$+shipping+customs, maybe it's too expensive compared to a 50g, don't you think?. Is the 34s much better than the 50g?.

I guess it is different choices.

If you don't need the power of a graphics calculator, the 34s will serve you well, but keep in mind that the 34s is a repurposed HP 30b, with stickers and not the same feel that you are used to, with the 48.
04-16-2015, 12:53 AM
"Can I program with them the same way I did with my 48?"

RPN is like a precursor to RPL. I like RPN better but you may find it limiting after all you've done in RPL. The function set in the 34 will certainly not limit you, though the screen size probably will and program memory size eventually may, but not soon. Having that capability in such an easily carried package can be it's own reward. Ray's idea about trying the smartphone app will tell you if it's worth acquiring or making your own.

There's just one warning i have for you:
After using the 34 for a while you'll probably want to try a 42, which was what the 34 was made to be equal to (and except for screen and memory it exceeds the 42). Then you may want to get a 41 because that is what the 42 was made to "replace" (and the 41 is as good as it gets IMHO). You might also then "need" a 67 because they were so incredible, and possibly a 65 because that was a real milestone. You know; the 55 was pretty cool too.........

You can see where this leads. Stick to emulators.
04-16-2015, 01:18 AM
I'm a big 41 fan, and for fun ordered an HP80.

It was supposed to go in the display case, but I REALLY like it. It's kind of a weird thing to admit to. I have a 35 and a 45 now too, and for some reason, neither has the charm of the 80.

2speed HP41CX,int2XMEM+ZEN, HPIL+DEVEL, HPIL+X/IO, I/R, 82143, 82163, 82162 -25,35,45,55,65,67,70,80
04-16-2015, 03:37 AM
(04-15-2015 09:25 PM)Cancuino Wrote:  Hi all,

Thank you.

About three months ago I pulled out my old HP48GX. After using the HP50g for many years, I couldn't believe how slow my HP48GX was compared to my HP50g. I think you will benefit from the HP50g and you will immediately be quite pleased with the upgrade.

Get a HP50g Smile

Omar
04-16-2015, 05:03 AM
(04-15-2015 09:25 PM)Cancuino Wrote:  I'm an engineer and own a HP48G+ since 1997

I agree with the people who are saying that you should get a 50G. You will have a small learning curve but it is functionally a superset of the 48 series.

The other calculators mentioned will require a different approach, and they do not have an infinite stack or RPL like your 48. The 50G does, along with greater speed, an SD card slot, etc etc. The 50G is an excellent machine and word is that they are being discontinued this year, so I'd get one while you can. Once they are discontinued I expect the price will shoot up like it did with the 67, 41, 42s, 48, 10, 11, 15, 16, 71b...
04-16-2015, 06:24 AM
50g is the way to go. Prime is just good for school and still pretty immature.
The 50g is far less good for graphics but far superior for all the rest and totally stuffed with features. I had a Prime and chose to move on the 50g with no regret.
04-16-2015, 07:25 AM
(04-16-2015 01:18 AM)TASP Wrote:  I'm a big 41 fan, and for fun ordered an HP80.

It was supposed to go in the display case, but I REALLY like it. It's kind of a weird thing to admit to. I have a 35 and a 45 now too, and for some reason, neither has the charm of the 80.

What makes the HP-80 stand out for you?
Bob
04-16-2015, 07:42 AM
(04-15-2015 10:36 PM)Cancuino Wrote:  I use to write programs about structures and want to make sure I can do the same with this calculator, that small screen has really surprised me.

If you meant "structured programming" then the 50G and RPL is the way to go for you (and you know RPL already). The WP calculators are pure classic RPN as supported by HP's pocket calcs up to the HP-42S. Hence, WP calcs are keystroke programmable. In a way, the WP 34S and the WP 31S are like Swiss army pocket knives while the HP-50G is like a full-size universal tool. Personally, the 50G is too large ("battleship class") and too complex for me. YMMV.

d:-)
04-16-2015, 08:01 AM
(04-16-2015 07:42 AM)walter b Wrote:  
(04-15-2015 10:36 PM)Cancuino Wrote:  I use to write programs about structures and want to make sure I can do the same with this calculator, that small screen has really surprised me.

If you meant "structured programming" then the 50G and RPL is the way to go for you (and you know RPL already). The WP calculators are pure classic RPN as supported by HP's pocket calcs up to the HP-42S. Hence, WP calcs are keystroke programmable. In a way, the WP 34S and the WP 31S are like Swiss army pocket knives while the HP-50G is like a full-size universal tool. Personally, the 50G is too large ("battleship class") and too complex for me. YMMV.

d:-)

I meant structural engineering. It's getting harder than I thought to take a choice Big Grin.
04-16-2015, 01:21 PM
(04-16-2015 07:25 AM)bshoring Wrote:  
(04-16-2015 01:18 AM)TASP Wrote:  I'm a big 41 fan, and for fun ordered an HP80.

What makes the HP-80 stand out for you?
Bob

I realize the rest of the speed demons here will hate this, but the fluttering of the LED display while the 80 chugs and snorts it's way thru problems is fun. The age of the thing and it's date arithmetic functions are interesting too. The 'wonky' enter button that says 'SAVE ^' is another source of amusement with every press.

Also, just a luck of the draw thing, the one that wound up in my hands looks pristine, who ever had it before took the batteries out apparently a week after buying it and left it in his office drawer ever since.

The top row of keys, "n i PMT PV FV" is amazing too. I don't have much need of financial functions, but even I can appreciate just how bloody brilliant that row of keys is and how the software works. And how many subsequent calculators have those keys on them ?? Heck, even the PPCROM emulates that feature!

I think it's age, durability, good looks, and out of the gate advanced design just make it a really neat thing to have around and use. It feels good in my hand as has the right amount of 'heft'. Amazing, HP's second handheld calculator still stands as a primer for everyone else making calculators to this day.

Of my 3 oldies, the 35, 45, and 80, it was the only one that came with a charger, and it is keeping all 3 of them working too. Just another little bonus.

2speed HP41CX,int2XMEM+ZEN, HPIL+DEVEL, HPIL+X/IO, I/R, 82143, 82163, 82162 -25,35,45,55,65,67,70,80
04-16-2015, 01:57 PM
(04-16-2015 01:21 PM)TASP Wrote:  
(04-16-2015 07:25 AM)bshoring Wrote:  What makes the HP-80 stand out for you?
Bob

I realize the rest of the speed demons here will hate this, but the fluttering of the LED display while the 80 chugs and snorts it's way thru problems is fun. The age of the thing and it's date arithmetic functions are interesting too. The 'wonky' enter button that says 'SAVE ^' is another source of amusement with every press.

Also, just a luck of the draw thing, the one that wound up in my hands looks pristine, who ever had it before took the batteries out apparently a week after buying it and left it in his office drawer ever since.

The top row of keys, "n i PMT PV FV" is amazing too. I don't have much need of financial functions, but even I can appreciate just how bloody brilliant that row of keys is and how the software works. And how many subsequent calculators have those keys on them ?? Heck, even the PPCROM emulates that feature!

I think it's age, durability, good looks, and out of the gate advanced design just make it a really neat thing to have around and use. It feels good in my hand as has the right amount of 'heft'. Amazing, HP's second handheld calculator still stands as a primer for everyone else making calculators to this day.

Of my 3 oldies, the 35, 45, and 80, it was the only one that came with a charger, and it is keeping all 3 of them working too. Just another little bonus.

Wow, I never paid any attention to the HP-80 before, but I admire its simplicity and no-frills approach. Thanks for bringing this up.
04-16-2015, 02:23 PM
The 50G is a lot faster than the 48 from a hardware standpoint, but I personally find its menu and key layouts to be poorly designed and counterproductive. The shift-key overloading is ridiculous, too (there's a functional difference between pressing shift then another key, and holding shift while pressing the other key). I stick with a 48SX outfitted with a 32 KB RAM card for my desk. Battery life is a lot better too.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-16-2015, 02:29 PM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2015 02:31 PM by TASP.)
I mentioned the date functions, and I've also read the museum materials on the HP01.

We also have the 'hidden' timer feature on the HP45, and then another step in the evolution with the HP55.

And where was all this heading ?

The HP41 Time Module!

That is one amazing piece of technology. Even today, with everything else the fantastic HP41CL can do, virtually everyone's first thought is "Oh, I need to go to TAS and get me a Time Module for my CL !!".

LOL, I haven't ordered a CL board yet (I'm still evaluating donor bodies), but I have ordered 2 (!!) Time Modules, just in case.

The Time Module is just a fantastic thing, even in 2015, what, nearly 35 years since it came out, it's still a very desirable item. The feature/function set, the accuracy and durability of 82182 is quite a testament to the skill and abilities of the HP team. And you can see the 'roots' of so many of the fun things it can do right back there in the HP80 !

04-16-2015, 05:11 PM
(04-15-2015 09:25 PM)Cancuino Wrote:  (...) and own a HP48G+ since 1997 (...) I find it sort of slow nowadays that I'm used to use mobile phones and this kind of things (...)

Welcome to the forums!

IMHO, we should not opt for a single calculator model and stick to it.
I mean, get the HP-50G and the PRIME, for double fun!

I like my HP-48G+ and my HP-50G as well, both are great machines.
If you want to stay in the same programming paradigm (RPL) and get more of the same but at a faster pace, get a HP-50G.

(04-15-2015 09:25 PM)Cancuino Wrote:  I use to buy the latest thing but I've read not very good things about the prime (...)

I see that the PRIME needs a push here, so here it goes Smile

The HP Prime is a different modern comprehensive machine, and really, really fast when compared with any other calculator, HP or not.
For most of the complex math calculations taking seconds on the HP-50G, the Prime gives you instantaneous (good) answers.

On top of that, the programming paradigm uses a modern friendly structured high level language, similar to PASCAL with a touch of BASIC (although, without GOTO instructions).

Does it have issues? Sure, as anyone eventually will discover soon or later.
But this is normal for a new, evolving, complex environment, where at least three different environments coexist (and to some extent, interact):
- The HOME mode for non-symbolic operations;
- The CAS mode based on XCAS for symbolic calculus;
- Then we have the Apps (built in and it's a matter of time until additional Apps comes out from 3rd parties);
- And let's not forget the RPN entry mode available from HOME mode.

HP have been releasing new firmware updates at a steady pace since 2013 to fix issues and releasing additional features.
I don't see how is this different from what HP did in the past, for instance with the 48 series.

However, a big difference now on the PRIME relates to the increased complexity offered, when comparing it with the good old days of RPL machines.
With the PRIME, more components are interacting, more teams are working on the different calculator environments, increased work is needed to do quality control and debug to the last bug if possible.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)