Price explosion
04-19-2015, 07:18 AM
Price explosion
As I have a lot of those I was very surprised today when I saw the following add:

HP28S clear case

It seems that my collection has won overnight in value explosively, at least when it comes after the request of the seller.
I am a well-paying buyer, but I just can shake my head at such price expectations!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-19-2015, 07:51 AM
RE: Price explosion
The price is buy it now or best offer, and to quote the seller (who is me) "Because of its rarity, I have listed quite high - I will consider all reasonable offers". The price is also in Australian dollars, so it's about $2,200USD.

I've never seen one of these listed on TAS, so have no idea what it's worth in today's market.
04-19-2015, 08:24 AM
Thanks for that clarification, Keith!

Although this example of a clear cased HP-28s is way beyond my budget, it's always a great pleasure to see such pieces of outstanding design and engineering. Not to mention the other examples shown in the link you have posted in your offer:

Quote:My clear cased and prototype HP's can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/keithmidso...354800664/
Find all posts by this user
04-19-2015, 08:38 AM (This post was last modified: 04-19-2015 08:39 AM by walter b.)
Thanks for unvealing. Nevertheless, I prefer listings starting low - they give me a chance to participate in bidding. Smile High starters, OTOH, are just frustrating; Sad and some seem to have no idea about the budget of John Doe. Confused

Just my 0,02 €.

d:-I
04-19-2015, 08:42 AM
... and yes I would hope your collection has increased in value Matthias. Mine did, but not by a huge amount. This is my last clear cased HP in my collection: the rest have all been sold to 3 private collectors (2 in USA, one in Europe) - being the last one, and the most valued by me personally, I wanted to put this to the open market.

In fact most of mine cost me a small fortune when I bought them over the last decade or so anyway. I recall being the second highest bidder on a clear cased HP65 about 4 years ago - it went for more than $2,500USD and I recall it may have been you?!
04-19-2015, 09:11 AM
I just made this a private listing, so that the buyer (if anyone is interested) can remain anonymous.
04-19-2015, 11:16 AM
I find all these bids a bit ridiculous. I recently acquired a 48G and found it very slow. I love my 15C for historic and personal reasons but I also stopped using it because there is better alternative nowadays. For the rest I have no fascination for old things. I'd rather have a 50g in a Prime case (with black keys).
04-19-2015, 07:27 PM
Thanks for these comments Keith - listed high or well, not low, but less high, it's always interesting to see these rare and even one-of-a-kind machines, and it certainly must really make it a great day when the buyer receives these incredibly rare pieces of history.

Your 12C with blue keys, for me, is probably the most distinctive of these rare beasts, please keep us in mind when you choose to sell machines like that.

--Bob Prosperi
04-19-2015, 10:25 PM
i see listed on that same site HP Prime Graphing Scientific Calculator NW280AA
Price:AU $5,219.00
Approximately US $4,054.64
Buy It Now

Thanks
~~~~8< Art >8~~~~

PS: Please post more 50G stuff :)
04-19-2015, 10:38 PM
(04-19-2015 10:25 PM)CosmicTruth Wrote:  i see listed on that same site HP Prime Graphing Scientific Calculator NW280AA
Price:AU $5,219.00
Approximately US $4,054.64
Buy It Now

Wow now that is impressive! That is a well known electronics warehouse seller in Australia, so I suspect that they have put the '5' in front of the '219' to prevent people from buying while they are out of stock. Some sellers do that (especially with photographic sales). I strongly doubt they have sold 14 at that price (says sold 14, 6 available).
04-20-2015, 05:01 AM
(04-19-2015 07:51 AM)Keith Midson Wrote:  The price is buy it now or best offer, and to quote the seller (who is me) "Because of its rarity, I have listed quite high - I will consider all reasonable offers". The price is also in Australian dollars, so it's about $2,200USD.

I've never seen one of these listed on TAS, so have no idea what it's worth in today's market.

Aha, I didn't see the "make an offer" the first time I saw the add. Ok, so it makes sence even the listet price is much too high.
I gave my offer to Keith now.
04-23-2015, 03:14 PM
The auction has ended without a sale? I see there were two bids: Mine was AU $560, the other was AU $700.
Unfortuantelly Keith did not react on my offer nor on my PM.... I feed sorry about that as I didn't want to blame him in any way ;(
04-23-2015, 06:55 PM
(04-19-2015 08:38 AM)walter b Wrote:  Thanks for unvealing. Nevertheless, I prefer listings starting low - they give me a chance to participate in bidding. Smile High starters, OTOH, are just frustrating; Sad and some seem to have no idea about the budget of John Doe. Confused

Just my 0,02 €.

d:-I

Apparently 0,02 € was too low an offer :-)
04-26-2015, 01:43 AM
A 3D printer, some clear plastic, and a 28C and I'm in the money!
04-26-2015, 12:25 PM
(04-23-2015 03:14 PM)HP-Collection Wrote:  The auction has ended without a sale?

How do you know? It says: "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available." I don't guess it has vanished into thin air so I assume it changed its location.

d:-?
04-26-2015, 12:27 PM
Obviously! Smile
04-26-2015, 07:22 PM
Pssst. Ebay does not know Wink

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)