How much memory HP Prime
04-20-2015, 01:59 AM
How much memory HP Prime
Hello everyone!

Since I bought my HP Prime I'm trying to find a way to send PDF files into it. After a quick search I found this website http://tiplanet.org/forum/portal.php.

It offers a tool named mViewer GX Creator, that converts PDFs into ones with extension .hpprgm

So, after the whole process of conversion, I got 25 files with size around 600 Kb.

I tried to send all of them into HP. I managed to send 4, and when I was sending the fifth, I got the message "Insufficient Memory"

Does anyone is having the same problem?

Thanks guys!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-20-2015, 03:04 AM
RE: How much memory HP Prime
(04-20-2015 01:59 AM)brunokoch Wrote:  Hello everyone!

Since I bought my HP Prime I'm trying to find a way to send PDF files into it. After a quick search I found this website http://tiplanet.org/forum/portal.php.

It offers a tool named mViewer GX Creator, that converts PDFs into ones with extension .hpprgm

So, after the whole process of conversion, I got 25 files with size around 600 Kb.

I tried to send all of them into HP. I managed to send 4, and when I was sending the fifth, I got the message "Insufficient Memory"

Does anyone is having the same problem?

Thanks guys!

Hi Bruno. Your prime has two different memories: flash (where you store your Programs and notes: about 200Mb, real capacity 190Mb or so...) and the RAM (32Mb total, less than a half can be used by the user). It is possible that the RAM is full of information and cause failures in the calculator, since the Flash storage space is larger and causes no problem. I suggest you to restart the calculator with SYMB + ON keys to free up RAM memory. Tell us if the problem was solved. In addition, I think that's a firmware inestability problem. There always have been problems with the way in which programs runs, especially those created by gxcreator for viewing images and documents (which for now are horrible loops of pixel by pixel commands). Try to make your file doesn't exceed 300KB of memory, so you can preserve the integrity of the system.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm.
View PNG/JPG in your Prime
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-20-2015, 04:32 AM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2015 04:33 AM by brunokoch.)
Hey. Thanks for the tip. I tried it but unfortunately didn't work out. Hope anyone else is facing the same problem and can help me out Big Grin
04-20-2015, 01:58 PM
There are several issues you are running into here apart from the tips already stated.

1. The pdf conversion program you linked to does not use memory very well as it does not have access to use of direct png image files. This means every image gets converted into a very large "text" form. A 10kb image might end up being 100kb in the source code looking like "ICON 01245ABCDEF123..."
2. When you open/edit/send the source, it will be "compiled" into the code that gets executed on the device. The ICON items are converted into a non compressed bitmap format. Thus if you have 1 screen of image data, it will take up 320*240*16bits. This is roughly 150kb of data that stays around and doesn't go away.
3. So lets say you have 10 screens of data in your converted file. That is roughly 100kb*10 for the image data in the text form, then 150kb*10 when it arrives on the device and is compiled ready to run. Add on a bit for the program code to do the display/navigation and you have this: approximately 1mb for the original data file sent, and approximately 1.5mb for the program file when it is ready to run.

So what is happening here is that you will need roughly 2.5mb to receive the file, and run it. So you are seeing roughly 2-3 files send before you have "run out" of memory.

So what can you do? There is only really one possibility at the moment unfortunately - after each time you send 3-4 files you can restart the calculator to free up that memory used in each file (ON-SYMB together will cause it to reboot from the beginning). That would let you load up more then a few files. Note then each time you open/use them however it will consume that memory.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
04-20-2015, 02:01 PM
(04-20-2015 03:04 AM)mandresve Wrote:  especially those created by gxcreator for viewing images and documents (which for now are horrible loops of pixel by pixel commands).

I've given a more detailed explanation in the other post. There are no memory leaks of any kind in the gxcreator program files as far as anyone can tell. The problem is primarily with the use of the ICON keyword for large image data sets. We'd never envisioned that as a way to load up huge amounts of data for display and hence the memory usage is much higher then it would be with other methods.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
04-20-2015, 02:34 PM
(04-20-2015 01:58 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  There are several issues you are running into here apart from the tips already stated.

1. The pdf conversion program you linked to does not use memory very well as it does not have access to use of direct png image files. This means every image gets converted into a very large "text" form. A 10kb image might end up being 100kb in the source code looking like "ICON 01245ABCDEF123..."
2. When you open/edit/send the source, it will be "compiled" into the code that gets executed on the device. The ICON items are converted into a non compressed bitmap format. Thus if you have 1 screen of image data, it will take up 320*240*16bits. This is roughly 150kb of data that stays around and doesn't go away.
3. So lets say you have 10 screens of data in your converted file. That is roughly 100kb*10 for the image data in the text form, then 150kb*10 when it arrives on the device and is compiled ready to run. Add on a bit for the program code to do the display/navigation and you have this: approximately 1mb for the original data file sent, and approximately 1.5mb for the program file when it is ready to run.

So what is happening here is that you will need roughly 2.5mb to receive the file, and run it. So you are seeing roughly 2-3 files send before you have "run out" of memory.

So what can you do? There is only really one possibility at the moment unfortunately - after each time you send 3-4 files you can restart the calculator to free up that memory used in each file (ON-SYMB together will cause it to reboot from the beginning). That would let you load up more then a few files. Note then each time you open/use them however it will consume that memory.

Such a great explanation! Thanks Tim. I have done what you said and it is working so far. I've searched others methods to convert PDF and image files but it is beyond my knowledge. Anyway, thanks again!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)